LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Offensive coordinator candidates around the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • NONAME
  • Go Raiders
Harbs is loyal. So were going to be stuck with our s**tty OC for a while
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I like this thread but I don't want to get excited about looking for a new OC because Harbaugh does not have the balls like big bro to fire GRo. They will keep saying we don't have the fire power due to injuries, they will justify losing games because of roughing the passer calls, etc. I think Harbaugh is one of those, I will sink with my ship type of guys. At the end of the day this all goes back to moving on to Kap waaaaay too fast. People flamed me and called me stupid on here blah blah blah, but it's like I said before; Kap is a project QB. Love the kid to death but we will go through 2-3 more years of this before he hits his stride.

i agree with the post spot on. The other harbaugh fired his OC last year, didn'the? And Kap needs another year of seasoning imo
I'd like to see what Rathman can do as OC. I'd bet that he would have at least an average offensive attack that DC's would have to gameplan against.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I like this thread but I don't want to get excited about looking for a new OC because Harbaugh does not have the balls like big bro to fire GRo. They will keep saying we don't have the fire power due to injuries, they will justify losing games because of roughing the passer calls, etc. I think Harbaugh is one of those, I will sink with my ship type of guys. At the end of the day this all goes back to moving on to Kap waaaaay too fast. People flamed me and called me stupid on here blah blah blah, but it's like I said before; Kap is a project QB. Love the kid to death but we will go through 2-3 more years of this before he hits his stride.

I'm hoping someone buys into the hype and some college program offers Roman the head coaching position, anything to get him out of SF, although in that situation, I really do worry that Chryst, who was f**king horrible in his only stint as an OC, is on deck.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
I'd like to see what Rathman can do as OC. I'd bet that he would have at least an average offensive attack that DC's would have to gameplan against.

it would most likely be worse. rathman is a runningbacks coach and roman was a running game coordinator in college. i dont see much of a difference except roman is an excellent running game guy. i dont see anyone on the staff who could fill in if we cut roman. maybe mangini? but how good could that be?
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
it would most likely be worse. rathman is a runningbacks coach and roman was a running game coordinator in college. i dont see much of a difference except roman is an excellent running game guy. i dont see anyone on the staff who could fill in if we cut roman. maybe mangini? but how good could that be?

Mangini has been a defensive coach almost his entire career thus far, what sense would it make for him to be an offensive coordinator?

Maybe the 49ers go see what Ted Tollner is doing these days, or heck even Mike Johnson, bring them in as a "consultant" to the OC. Where's Denny Green at, if nothing else they could bring him in to help them draft WR's.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 18, 2013 at 12:27 AM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

considering Mangini is the one initiating reviews its obvious he doesn't know what the f**k he's doing
What's Pat Schurmur doing these days?
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
considering Mangini is the one initiating reviews its obvious he doesn't know what the f**k he's doing

Is it really Mangini? Seems we've been awful ever since Harbaugh got here on the challenges.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Mangini has been a defensive coach almost his entire career thus far, what sense would it make for him to be an offensive coordinator?

Maybe the 49ers go see what Ted Tollner is doing these days, or heck even Mike Johnson, bring them in as a "consultant" to the OC. Where's Denny Green at, if nothing else they could bring him in to help them draft WR's.

well mangina is on our staff as an offensive consultant for some reason so he would be the only one who could step in, everyone else needs to stay put. i would love to get dennis green. ive been sayin that in the kaepernick thread as well. hes not doin anything but post game live and i dont think he'll get another headcoaching gig again. dude knows offense, how to draft receivers and probably loves the niners/shares the walsh legacy. im all for this
Shanahan might be out of a job soon. The Last time he was our OC we had the best offense in the modern era. Or just about.

Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Shanahan might be out of a job soon. The Last time he was our OC we had the best offense in the modern era. Or just about.

That'd be awesome. He would easily make our running even game better, not to mention the wonders he would do for Kap's development. It's actually not that far of a stretch if the Skins' continue to tank. Snyder definitely is not the patient type.

The only major barrier that I can think of that would prevent this happening is both Harbs and Shanahan's egos. It's well known that both are control freaks. Remember, rumor had it that Peyton turned us down because Jim wouldn't agree to hand give him control of the offense. And in bringing in Shanahan, Harbaugh would have to do exactly that. Also, I dont see Shanny agreeing to take orders from someone much younger and less experienced than he, but hey, who knows right?

Maybe if it doesn't work out in Washington, he'll think that being a Head Coach is too much work/stress and may decide to "settle" for something a little less hectic.
Originally posted by baltien:
That'd be awesome. He would easily make our running even game better, not to mention the wonders he would do for Kap's development. It's actually not that far of a stretch if the Skins' continue to tank. Snyder definitely is not the patient type.

The only major barrier that I can think of that would prevent this happening is both Harbs and Shanahan's egos. It's well known that both are control freaks. Remember, rumor had it that Peyton turned us down because Jim wouldn't agree to hand give him control of the offense. And in bringing in Shanahan, Harbaugh would have to do exactly that. Also, I dont see Shanny agreeing to take orders from someone much younger and less experienced than he, but hey, who knows right?

Maybe if it doesn't work out in Washington, he'll think that being a Head Coach is too much work/stress and may decide to "settle" for something a little less hectic.

Or maybe he just decides that retirement is plenty good enough after all.

Shanahan's been around a long long time, he's been coaching since the mid 70s, might be time to call it a career, although if he was willing to come back to the 49ers and be an OC again, I'd be all over it certainly. Plus, its not like Al Davis is around anymore for Shanahan to order McCoy to throw a ball at his head or anything.

f**k, I'd take Denny Green at this point.

LOL, not serious.

But really, I would.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 21, 2013 at 5:37 PM ]
Originally posted by NONAME:
Harbs is loyal. So were going to be stuck with our s**tty OC for a while

This is where York can make a difference by saying "fix this s**t." Harbaugh made all these promises about bring back the WCO and so on and on and on......man, now I think I know what a chick who was lied to by a guy just to get her into bed feels like now, this is b******t, I feel used.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
What about Art Briles?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9861289/chris-brown-how-art-briles-potent-offense-made-baylor-national-title-contender

Not sure how realistic this is as I can't follow college football, but could we tempt him into an OC role? From the sounds of it I think he could do incredible things with Kap in his system and he'd use LMJ and Vernon well. The concepts of his offense look interesting.
Originally posted by Buchy:
What about Art Briles?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9861289/chris-brown-how-art-briles-potent-offense-made-baylor-national-title-contender

Not sure how realistic this is as I can't follow college football, but could we tempt him into an OC role? From the sounds of it I think he could do incredible things with Kap in his system and he'd use LMJ and Vernon well. The concepts of his offense look interesting.

Nice read
Share 49ersWebzone