LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Offensive coordinator candidates around the NFL

Shop 49ers game tickets
Bring back jimmy raye
Roman is likely to move on to a head coaching job somewhere at the end of this season. I don't think that an in season, in the middle of the playoff chase kind of move is going to happen with him (bummer!). Let's all hope he rediscovers his game by next week or when Crabtree comes back.
Originally posted by vermonator:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
You guys need to chill....

If anyone deserves to loose their job its WR coach John Morton.

You nailed it! We haven't been able to groom receivers since the 90s... We need to get back to our roots and use a more traditional west coast offense to help the quarterback and receivers, with quick slants, boot legs, and some bubble screens, all of which are a part of the Bill Walsh system, but for some reason are seldom utilized in Roman's offense.

No doubt.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
What happened to the creative run plays we seen from Roman in 2011? If we were still doing those I'd say keep him as run coordinator and find a better pass coordinator. I really dont know if Roman is doing the pass game and is he calling the pass plays? Right now I'd say the weak links on a very good coaching staff are Roman, Morton, Solari and Mangini (is he really helping?). Very happy with all the defensive guys: Fangio, Tomsula, Donatell, Leavitt, Jackson, etc. Side note: I'm a little disappointed in Harbaugh as well. Glad to have him and he's one of the best coaches in the NFL but he's too good of a coach to be making some of the decision and mistakes he has made. I expected more out of the QB spot as well. I think his loyalty gets him at times, been a few times I wish he would get on the players more and put his foot down and be bold. Maybe I'm off hard to tell when we don't have inside access.

Anyways, anyone think we could promote Geep Chryst or Tom Rathman? Maybe Harbaugh takes over play calling full time. Either way tired of Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde Roman. I don't get it one game he looks like one of best OC's in the league and a genius the next looks like Mike Singletary is calling plays. Our pass game is so unimaginative and red zone play calling is a bad as well. Our run game was creative in 2011 and some what 2012 but even that seems to be losing the creativity. Also, wish we would have traded for Gordon. We have a hard time drafting and developing WR's so would be easier to just get proven guys. We haven't had a consistent WR since TO. (not counting VD at TE) Crabtree has been good these past few years but he's had multiple injuries.

The current run game has been watered down by all the Pistol zone-read stuff. Roman spent the 2012 off-season touring college campuses trying to learn the Pistol zone-read. He's obviously very intrigued by it. I wish he would scrap it and get back to the dizzying array of power formations we used in 2011. That is real NFL football. The pistol zone-reads are getting blown up in the backfield. I think you can catch teams off guard with it as a gadget play, but to base your running game around it is absurd. They take too long to develop, and any defender who has prepared for it in film session will know how to make the right read and blow the play up.

Funny thing is he's not even running it the right way anymore. Check out the Redskins read-option.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Your #1 guy is Ken Zampese? There is a reason he is still a QB coach (9 years) and its not because of constant long runs in the playoffs. Andy Dalton is by far worse then Kap considering he gets to throw to A.J. Green. Then you want us to try out a Patriot coach? Has there ever been a successful NE position coach? Worked well with WR??? Before Gronk came back Brady was having his worst season of his career mainly because of how badly his WRs were. And Matt Cavanaugh?? Who's claim to fame is being OC of the 2000 Ravens... The no offense all defense Superbowl champ. who was then fired in 2004. He was the QB coach with the jets and let him go last year because of how bad Sanchez was. AMAZING LIST!
Really good post.

Roman sucks and his play-calling is "Vomit-Worthy."

That said, do any of you feel that maybe JH is a VERY big part of the problem as far as the play calling goes?
Originally posted by Jcool:
Your #1 guy is Ken Zampese? There is a reason he is still a QB coach (9 years) and its not because of constant long runs in the playoffs. Andy Dalton is by far worse then Kap considering he gets to throw to A.J. Green.

LOL, 2nd round QB comes in and starts as a rookie, takes his team to the playoffs and you bash him because he has AJ Green as a receiver? Logic, not even once.

Then you want us to try out a Patriot coach? Has there ever been a successful NE position coach?

You mean like Brad Seely, the 49ers special teams coach? Or do you mean a different NE coach?

Worked well with WR??? Before Gronk came back Brady was having his worst season of his career mainly because of how badly his WRs were.

Yeah, darn it, O'Shea couldn't turn a bunch of late round /undrafted rookies into Pro Bowl players in 3 months, dude must be awful. I'll ignore all the accolades and praise he gets from people in football, you, a random internet poster have changed my mind, he's trash clearly, its not like NE manages to get the most out of their receivers and their talent while the 49ers struggle to get anything out of theirs.

And Matt Cavanaugh?? Who's claim to fame is being OC of the 2000 Ravens... The no offense all defense Superbowl champ. who was then fired in 2004. He was the QB coach with the jets and let him go last year because of how bad Sanchez was. AMAZING LIST!

Yeah, Cavanaugh is too blame for Sanchez being potato, forgetting that Sanchez wound up in two conference championship games in his first two years in the NFL and managed to look pretty damn competent. Forget that the Ravens never had the worst ranked passing offense, even with Dilfer at QB.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
You guys need to chill....

If anyone deserves to loose their job its WR coach John Morton.

I don't know if anyone in this thread is saying it has to happen now. I think it's more of this could be a reality after this season and it doesn't hurt to discuss it.
They missed out on Pep Hamilton! If Roman had gotten a HC job this past year, we could have hired Hamilton but now he is with Andrew Luck.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
promote from within...

Tom Rathman should get his shot.

Lets blame Mangini. I have no evidence, but I think he's telling Roman to attack the defense all wrong
We should have snagged Norv Turner last offseason...

He would have been a perfect fit for this offense, and he will never be a HC again.
Originally posted by boast:
promote from within...

I have advocated this in the past, but i am just not sure how he would handle play calling duties or how he would put together a competent passing game. Simply just don't know enough about what he envisions as an ideal offense other than the run game.

I also dont recall many long term RB coaches that have successfully made the transition to OC.

Love Rathman though, and i would be on board if he is someone that was considered.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
I have advocated this in the past, but i am just not sure how he would handle play calling duties or how he would put together a competent passing game. Simply just don't know enough about what he envisions as an ideal offense other than the run game.

I also dont recall many long term RB coaches that have successfully made the transition to OC.

Love Rathman though, and i would be on board if he is someone that was considered.

This.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
promote from within...

+1
Share 49ersWebzone