There are 171 users in the forums

RG3

Shop 49ers game tickets
I've watched a ton of Michael Vick tape since he was at Virginia Tech. I LOVED him. I thought he was the best player I've ever seen and I've always thought he wasn't in the right system. Even with Andy Reid, Reid wasn't tough enough as a coach to reel in Vick's playground style. Even Steve Young had to learn how to be a passer first, and it's a shame Vick had the career he did, all that stuff with pit bulls notwithstanding.

WHICH brings me to RG3. I watch him play and I'm like, Hey, that's a young Vick! The ol' run around and throw it up at the last second style of play. The style of play that gets you killed, and in a year and a half, RG3 has taken a lot of hits.

It's just a shame, I guess, and maybe it's too early to say, but it feels like I've seen this before. I hope RG3 gets it together, 'cause the league would be that much better for it. Vick never maximized his unlimited potential. I hope RG3 does, or the two most exciting QBs to enter the game these last 13 years or whatever will go for naught
Even when he stays in the pocket, he waits too long to release the ball and takes, what I feel, are unnecessary and avoidable hits.
[ Edited by est1985 on Nov 5, 2013 at 11:45 AM ]
RG3 needs to learn to slide or go out of bounds when he is running around. I saw him Sunday trying to jump over people to get a first down. If he doesn't learn to take care of himself he is going to have a short NFL career.
[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Nov 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM ]
RG3 won't last long. He's just not built strong. He's built like a WR. Just say goodbye to him right now.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
dude is inaccurate.
more like RGSUCKY, amirite?
You must love Johnny Football
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
I've watched a ton of Michael Vick tape since he was at Virginia Tech. I LOVED him. I thought he was the best player I've ever seen and I've always thought he wasn't in the right system. Even with Andy Reid, Reid wasn't tough enough as a coach to reel in Vick's playground style. Even Steve Young had to learn how to be a passer first, and it's a shame Vick had the career he did, all that stuff with pit bulls notwithstanding.

WHICH brings me to RG3. I watch him play and I'm like, Hey, that's a young Vick! The ol' run around and throw it up at the last second style of play. The style of play that gets you killed, and in a year and a half, RG3 has taken a lot of hits.

It's just a shame, I guess, and maybe it's too early to say, but it feels like I've seen this before. I hope RG3 gets it together, 'cause the league would be that much better for it. Vick never maximized his unlimited potential. I hope RG3 does, or the two most exciting QBs to enter the game these last 13 years or whatever will go for naught
It would be crazy if there was ever a QB who was a combination of Michael Vick and RG3 with a little bit of Cunningham and Favre mixed in

^^^ Tolzien !
Is he hurt yet?

CK7 is the most exciting player I've seen!
RGIII is already taking too many hits and injuries are sure to follow.

JH seems to managing Kap very well and not exposing him like RGIII gets from Shanahan.
  • kem99
  • Veteran

If you believe Vick has never been "in the right system", what system do you think he would have benefited from? He originally was in the same system as Elway under Dan Reeves that allowed Elway to use his strong arm and mobility early in his career. He didn't like that so they tried a West Coast offense but he wasn't accurate enough or, by his own admission, willing to put in the study/off-field work to flourish in that system.

After going to prison, he fell into Andy Reid's system that is considered among the most QB friendly systems in the NFL during which, as was the case in Atlanta, he had highlight moments of brilliance but ultimately struggled, again, with quick decision making, accuracy, holding the ball too long, turnovers and staying healthy despite having great weapons around him.

Now, he is in Chip Kelly's system that would seem to optimize his running ability, though you could see even in the first game that he was going to take too many hits.

Through all of these systems/opportunities, the same issues have shown up -- accuracy, decision making, turnovers and staying healthy. At some point, you have to concede that its not the system, its him.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
CK7 is the most exciting player I've seen!

Obviously, you haven't seen Case Keenum or Nick Foles.

SMDH
Originally posted by valrod33:

It would be crazy if there was ever a QB who was a combination of Michael Vick and RG3 with a little bit of Cunningham and Favre mixed in

Share 49ersWebzone