There are 286 users in the forums

Jimmy and Trent fumbled ths one?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Should have kept over Ray ventrone. Lol.

Ray Ventrone was kept for special teams. That's a very important group.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
he wouldn't have played. this team is funny about rookies getting extensive time if there is a vet there... if there is nobody already there with a spot then you'll get your shot.

see lemonier

see reid.

see brock

Yep.

More so than anything I think the F.O. is still coming to grips with everyone wanting to pilfer their team at the bottom of the roster. Reportedly they were planning on marqueis gray, marcus cooper, and b.j. daniels all clearing waivers, and lost all three of them.

Edit: also worth saying that the strong preference for vets who are down-trending over untested rookies is also inconsistent with the strategy of stockpiling draft picks. Those picks are great to move around and get who you want, but will end up being wasted if they keep on deferring to the Moss', Nnamdi's, and Marlon Moore's of the world.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Nov 2, 2013 at 10:45 AM ]
Originally posted by trellblaze:

I know that. Cooper could play special teams as well. A corner with potential that can also play special teams is more valuable than a player that plays strictly special teams, plus we have a boatload of special teams players already.
I know that. Cooper could play special teams as well. A corner with potential that can also play special teams is more valuable than a player that plays strictly special teams, plus we have a boatload of special teams players already.

The 9ers were excellent on ST two years ago b/c they designated roster spots specifically for ST studs. They got away from that strategy last year, and ST really visibly suffered (and became a weakness) because of it. I don't have any problem at all with them not making that mistake again. It was between Nnamdi (or Cox) and Cooper, not between Cooper and Ventrone.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

The 9ers were excellent on ST two years ago b/c they designated roster spots specifically for ST studs. They got away from that strategy last year, and ST really visibly suffered (and became a weakness) because of it. I don't have any problem at all with them not making that mistake again. It was between Nnamdi (or Cox) and Cooper, not between Cooper and Ventrone.

Kassim Osgood, Anthony Dixon, Perrish Cox, CJ Spillman, Darryl Morris all players who have been excellent on special teams. Has Ray Ventrone stood out? If anything he's been adequate at best. I doubt our special teams suffers with Cooper in replace of Ventrone. Losing one player who plays strictly special teams would not hurt. I understand the concern, but we more than compensated for our special teams this year. One player could have been left out and we would have been completely fine. In fact, Cooper is quite a bit faster than Ventrone and speed is important on coverage units. It's not the only thing, but it is a vital component of coverage on special teams. Look at why Darryl Morris has been so good.
I'd be upset if our secondary was bad, but considering that it's actually the [statistical] strength of our defense this year -- I'm feeling okay.
Everyone is crying about Cooper, meanwhile we have the number one rated passing D in the league.

No way Vic would of started this kid. Good for Cooper and the KC Chiefs.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
I'd be upset if our secondary was bad, but considering that it's actually the [statistical] strength of our defense this year -- I'm feeling okay.

How fast are you? Can you play special teams?
Originally posted by sspiker:
He wasn't even a starter at Rutgers. Not hard to justify going with someone who was more familiar with the game and the defensive playbook at the beginning of the season.

This. Like others have said, it happens to everyone. Seattle who badly needs help at TE, cut a guy who is doing very well in KC. NE, New Orleans, all quality teams have cut people who have gone on to look good elsewhere. With the 49ers, it's likely that Cooper wouldn't have played a game yet, in KC he only got the opportunity because of a freakish amount of injuries in their secondary.

In terms of his performance, yes, he's done well, but that KC front seven is also playing at an insanely high level this season, Houston and Hali have over 20 sacks between the two of them halfway through the season. Just as Carlos Rogers looked like a worldbeater in 2011, don't let first impressions fool you, Cooper could look significantly less great without having a league high amount of QB pressures forcing the mostly mediocre QB's they've played into bad throws.

You're talking about a team with 36 sacks, vs the 17 sacks that the 49ers have had this season. If anything I'm more impressed with the play of the 49ers secondary which has done well in spite of lacking any sort of real pass rush since Aldon left. Aldon has only played in three games this season, he's still leading the 49ers in sacks.....meanwhile in KC he'd be the 4th or 5th leading pass-rusher.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM ]
This thread makes me want to shoot myself in the face.

Had the kept him, we probably would have waived Brock. So, on the bright side, we learned we have a good CB in Brock. And, we signed Eric Wright.

We have so many picks next year, we'll get a good young CB out of one of them. Not even worried, plus Morris looks good. I wanted them to keep Morris and Cooper but it was a numbers game.

From here on out, teams will be scrutinizing our cuts.
Originally posted by trellblaze:

So you would've kept a 7th rounder who hadn't shown very much in camp or pre-season over a proven ST vet? Why would you have done that?
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Had the kept him, we probably would have waived Brock. So, on the bright side, we learned we have a good CB in Brock. And, we signed Eric Wright.

We have so many picks next year, we'll get a good young CB out of one of them. Not even worried, plus Morris looks good. I wanted them to keep Morris and Cooper but it was a numbers game.

From here on out, teams will be scrutinizing our cuts.

I think it's pretty clear that Baalke and co. know how to pick defensive backs. Culliver, Cooper, Reid, the only real miss was Robinson but he was a 6th rounder and even he's on an NFL roster with the Redskins.

Even Phillip Adams, a 7th round pick has been a consistent NFL contributor with other teams. I have no doubt they'll find a good CB and depth at safety as well.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM ]
Wait till he gets eaten up alive against some real QBs and not back ups
Originally posted by sspiker:
He wasn't even a starter at Rutgers. Not hard to justify going with someone who was more familiar with the game and the defensive playbook at the beginning of the season.

This. The team tried to get him onto the practice squad and it didn't work. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. What this whole ordeal has shown me is that Trent Baalke can find talent in any round. We'll get a few good corners in this years draft. I do think the lesson the staff will get from this is that they should trust the young talent Baalke brings in more. He's right a lot more often than he is wrong, and if they make use of that talent, this team would be even more lethal. With that being said, I think Marcus Cooper would do well here, but I don't think he'd be AS good. Our front 7 has been good, but not dominant, mainly because of the injuries. Having a dominating front 7 helps DBs a lot. See Carlos Rogers in 2011. Still a good corner in 2013, but he doesn't look as good.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
Some one posted earlier why does Baalke trade for 7th round picks? Because great talent evaluators find talent in every round.
I think people have failed to understand Baalke's track record in the 7th.
Share 49ersWebzone