There are 80 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

LT- Johnathan Martin- bullying inside Dolphins locker room

you don't got to preach to me about richies history, im aware of most of it, hes a dick.

so what does that tell you about martin then, why was he best friends with richie? all those things you are posting are true. so why would somebody with harvard parents, a stanford education, would get so close to richie?
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Nov 9, 2013 at 11:04 AM ]
when did this "bullying" start? was it this year? because if it was last year, martin had a hell of a way of showing it.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
you don't got to preach to me about richies history, im aware of most of it, hes a dick.

so what does that tell you about martin then, why was he best friends with richie? all those things you are posting are true. so why would somebody with harvard parents, a stanford education, would get so close to richie?

What makes you think he was friends with Incognito? He hung out with the guy a few times, maybe figuring that if he did so, it would somehow make things okay and end the abuse.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9941696/jonathan-martin-walked-twisted-world-led-incognito
The Dolphins tagged him the "Big Weirdo." The Dolphins held up Richie Incognito as the ultimate role model for offensive linemen. Incognito was a Pro Bowler. He was a member of the six-man leadership council. It makes perfect sense for a kid like Martin to befriend Incognito and try to fit in. I'm sure they were best friends, for a time. I'm sure Incognito offered Martin physical protection on the football field.

It's standard operating procedure for a prison-yard bully to cultivate a relationship that is equal parts fear, love and disrespect. It's how you turn a guy out and make him grab your belt loop.

Martin was confused. He probably thought the bullying and hazing would pass after his rookie season. He wanted to fit in and make it in the NFL. The paycheck is incredible. He tried to laugh off the abuse and disrespect. He participated in it. He coughed up $15,000 for a trip to Las Vegas he didn't want to take.

Finally he snapped. He wasn't raised to be a full-blown idiot. He was raised to think and solve problems with his mind. He was savvy enough to figure out a physical confrontation with Incognito was a no-win situation. It wouldn't curb Incognito's behavior or change the culture inside the Miami locker room. It would confirm it. In order to win the fight, Martin would have to physically harm Incognito. It would not be a one-punch or two-punch fight.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM ]
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Lets not forget Vernon Davis fought all the time
In fact there have been a lot of fights

Again all the voice mails and text is just friendly banter

The strip club meetings were not official meetings

agreed
LOL. If I committed sexual assault at my job, I'd be out of a job and in jail within a week. How noble of the Dolphins. Incognito sexually assaults a woman, it gets covered up, Chad Johnson fights with his wife, get cut. Philbin really is in over his head.

Until this week, it hadn't been publicly revealed that a woman working at a Dolphins golf outing a year and a half ago had accused offensive lineman Richie Incognito of battery. But Dolphins coach Joe Philbin says the team did deal with the matter privately, at the time it happened. "We were made of aware of the situation, we took immediate action," Philbin said today. "Any club action we took against any player would remain private."

Of course, it's not entirely true to say that "any club action" would remain private: After all, when the Dolphins took action against Incognito for harassing teammate Jonathan Martin, that action didn't remain private.

The Dolphins issued a public statement announcing the suspension. Perhaps if the Dolphins had suspended Incognito for his actions at the golf outing, he would have gotten the message that he needed to change his behavior. Instead, the Dolphins decided to keep the matter hush-hush. And even now, a year and a half later, Philbin won't say what action the Dolphins took against Incognito at the time.

Philbin also said that Martin could have approached him at any time if he felt he was being mistreated by Incognito or other teammates. "I believe I'm approachable to the players," Philbin said. Despite the distraction that the Incognito-Martin situation has caused, Philbin said his team's focus is on Monday night's game against the Buccaneers. "We don't get paid for distractions. We get paid to go out and perform. We have a big game on Monday night," Philbin said.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/09/philbin-dolphins-took-immediate-action-after-woman-accused-incognito-of-battery/

Best comment from the article.

"

""We were made of aware of the situation, we took immediate action," (to protect our player(s) Philbin said today. "That young women was banished immediately and forever from a Dolphin sponsered event………."
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 9, 2013 at 11:21 AM ]
Dont know how anyone can defend Icognito... Dude is not only a cancer to a locker room but a cancer to society. Regardless of the situation, this guy has been a terrible person and absolute douche everywhere he has gone. If he didnt win the genetic lottery he would be 30, drinking beers in his parents basement with his dad in a wife beater reminiscing about the girls the girls he banged in highschool. He's scum and its about time tools like this earn the media microscope.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

What makes you think he was friends with Incognito? He hung out with the guy a few times, maybe figuring that if he did so, it would somehow make things okay and end the abuse.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9941696/jonathan-martin-walked-twisted-world-led-incognito
The Dolphins tagged him the "Big Weirdo." The Dolphins held up Richie Incognito as the ultimate role model for offensive linemen. Incognito was a Pro Bowler. He was a member of the six-man leadership council. It makes perfect sense for a kid like Martin to befriend Incognito and try to fit in. I'm sure they were best friends, for a time. I'm sure Incognito offered Martin physical protection on the football field.

It's standard operating procedure for a prison-yard bully to cultivate a relationship that is equal parts fear, love and disrespect. It's how you turn a guy out and make him grab your belt loop.

Martin was confused. He probably thought the bullying and hazing would pass after his rookie season. He wanted to fit in and make it in the NFL. The paycheck is incredible. He tried to laugh off the abuse and disrespect. He participated in it. He coughed up $15,000 for a trip to Las Vegas he didn't want to take.

Finally he snapped. He wasn't raised to be a full-blown idiot. He was raised to think and solve problems with his mind. He was savvy enough to figure out a physical confrontation with Incognito was a no-win situation. It wouldn't curb Incognito's behavior or change the culture inside the Miami locker room. It would confirm it. In order to win the fight, Martin would have to physically harm Incognito. It would not be a one-punch or two-punch fight.

woah..it was more than a few times. even tannerhill said they were best friend, other teamates said they were best friends. you dont go to strip clubs with guys you dont like (even with that "fine" that richie set up for missing the meeting). you dont take a horse carriage ride with guys you dont like. you dont show up at charities and off field events, with only the guy you dont like. i means theres pictures of them hanging out at clubs and bars, with just the 2 of them in it...dont try and tell me that richie forced to be his friend now...
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No! Bull s**t!!
He should of man'd up!!!
And that doesn't mean he has to fight!! That means he has to stand up for himself!!
Just like Tarkington said, be a man, be an adult, if you have a problem with someone, you sit down one on one and talk it out and set a boundary.
If you can't do it one on one you have other people sit in and witness the talk. It's called being an adult, it's called problem solving
[ Edited by solidg2000 on Nov 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM ]
No! Bull s**t!!
He should of man'd up!!!
And that doesn't mean he has to fight!! That means he has to stand up for himself!!
Just like Tarkington said, be a man, be an adult, if you have a problem with someone, you sit down one on one and talk it out and set a boundary.
If you can't do it one on one you have other people sit in and witness the talk. It's called being an adult, it's called problem solving

Your assuming that Incognito is capable or willing to sit down and talk. What article about him led you to believe this was possible? Everything I've read indicates that his way of handling every type of situation was through violent behavior...which is the main reason he was kicked out of Oregon having either failed or failing to attend an anger management course. And what article did you read indicating that Miami is managed in a way that folks would sit in and witness the talk? Was it the GM telling Incognito to toughen up Martin? Yeah, that sounds like a guy who would be a great moderator. In that atmosphere, it is not surprising that team mates took a passive, apathetic...better Martin than me attitude.

Have you never met an unreasonable person...ever?
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by 49erMike:
- at least we agree Incognito is mentally off too lol
- Martin was "attacked" by texts that were jokes (in very poor taste) there is no telling what kind of stuff Haley would've texted if he was off his meds and that technology existed then.
- or you could argue that no one was as mentally weak as Martin. Matt Millen stated he hated playing with Haley. He could've snapped at any time. Romo could've snapped as well.
- Ihave to say it worked out well for Romo because the harassment stopped for him.
- Kevin Gogan was on SI as the dirtiest player in football, yet Walsh brought him in.

Harry Edwards? Come on. Ask some of the players how they really feel about this guy.

I completely agree that Walsh was nothing but class. But I think Martin would've blown the whistle on That locker room as well. My point is that some people just don't belong in certain occupations. Nolan....s**t *happy thoughts happy thoughts* lol

You got a problem with Harry Edwards? Dude has been with the team forever.

I don't, but Haley did.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
No! Bull s**t!!
He should of man'd up!!!

Your assuming that Incognito is capable or willing to sit down and talk. What article about him led you to believe this was possible? Everything I've read indicates that his way of handling every type of situation was through violent behavior...which is the main reason he was kicked out of Oregon having either failed or failing to attend an anger management course. And what article did you read indicating that Miami is managed in a way that folks would sit in and witness the talk? Was it the GM telling Incognito to toughen up Martin? Yeah, that sounds like a guy who would be a great moderator. In that atmosphere, it is not surprising that team mates took a passive, apathetic...better Martin than me attitude.

Have you never met an unreasonable person...ever?

Who do you consider worse?
Haley or incognito?
Incognito sounds like an animal!!

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-dolphins-lydon-murtha/
Incognito sounds like an animal!!

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-dolphins-lydon-murtha/

i don't deny that incognito is a dick, a douche, etc.

but the whole thing is overblown IMO. martin needs to act like an adult. he could have dealt with this in such a better way.
Who do you consider worse?
Haley or incognito?

Not going to dinner with either...nor do I want them for my neighbor, work pal, mechanic, doctor, plumber, or any other relationship I can think of. Since I don't know either I can only judge by what I've read over the years and make a decision based on those facts. Could I be wrong? sure...
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i don't deny that incognito is a dick, a douche, etc.

but the whole thing is overblown IMO. martin needs to act like an adult. he could have dealt with this in such a better way.

Did Martin whine? Did he run to the press? Did he start throwing players to the media? He didn't even go to the press until the team management threw him under the bus. Then someone, perhaps Martin, released the tapes of Incognito to demonstrate that the team was dead wrong in their portrayal of the situation. So far I haven't seen Martin on 60 minutes crying so I think he has handled this as well as anyone could or should have.

As for all the Miami Dolphin players giving interviews on both sides...that says a lot about the state of the franchise and leads me to believe Martin is much more mature than the average player in that locker room.