LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

LT- Johnathan Martin- bullying inside Dolphins locker room

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
It doesn't prove anything. But it tends to show he liked Icognito, at least at some point. Which was corroborated by other teammates.

It surely doesn't prove that he's fallible, and doesn't even tend to show that absent any corroboration.

Yeah, Incognito may be unstable and immature, but there were other guys in the locker room who disagree with you or are able to tolerate his behavior. Enough guys to vote him in. I doubt they are all fallible.

Haley was diagnosed with bi-polar and would jack off at meetings and flung dog poop at Seifert. That's a little different then leaving a nasty voicemails and getting up at a table when Martin sat down...

There are work place environments that would make disagreeing terribly uncomfortable. I've always chosen to not work in those environments and have had the luxury of being able to pick my spots. A draftee is stuck unless he does a John Elway...which is almost impossible...except for John Elway.

Tolerating behavior is a tricky thing...many bullies drive kids to suicide every year and no one steps in and stops them because it is difficult to do so. I was lucky that my parents loathed bullies and taught me to stick up for my fellow classmates...even if I did not personally like them. I know a kid who was brutally beaten, almost to death, while his classmates were too frightened to step up and stop the bully. There were many "nice kids" among the crowd of watchers...they just didn't have the courage to stick their necks out. If Incognito is so out of control that numerous football factories couldn't tolerate his behavior I'm left to believe he is in the wrong until I have evidence to the contrary.

I don't care how many weak minded teammates support him, just proves my point that an atmosphere of stupid has been created on this team and in this locker room. I will still admit I could be wrong...just think the majority of what I've read points to this conclusion.

You are right in that disagreeing with the masses is hard. Maybe Martin thought voting him in would make things better. That's definitely a possibility.

As for the classmate example, these aren't kids. They are adults. And a locker room is not like school or a regular job. It takes a level of toughness and nastiness to be an O-linemen. For example, when Mathews hit Kap late, Staley jumped in. Staley is like the polar opposite of Richie, but, his nastiness, combined with his physical skills, make Staley a very good player and teammate. AD is intimidating because people know he will play till the whistle and "peel" defenders off the pile.

Would Martin come to the aid of Kap in that situation? It seems like he wouldn't and that's what the dolphin players were trying to help with..Make him unafraid to be like Staley. Obviously, the dolphins may have went overboard, but their intentions seemed good. They were trying to toughen him up so he could have a better career.

Ritchie was out of control, yes, and teams got rid of him. But teams also kept giving him a chance. . I mean, Michael Vick ran a dog fighting ring and was given chances. Albert Hainsworth stomped a guy in his eye and was given chances after. Amukamaru was carried to a ice tub and thrown in by Tuck i believe. That's battery. We have guys like Steve Smith (team leader) in the league who punched a teammate in the face (assault and battery). Blount punched a guy in the face in college and fought a teammate in tamba bay. Our own Ahmad Brooks battered a teammate.

There are many more examples of teammate on teammate assaults. I don't think what Ritchie has done, as far as we know, ever rose to that level.

Why are Ritchie's actions considered bullying and not the above mentioned? Those incidents mentioned above were handled, like men, in house, as to not disrupt the team. Martin chose to handle it this way. For example, in the Brooks' case, "Divens initially wanted to press charges for the attack, which was witnessed by two other members of the 49ers, but later told police that it "would be bad for both their careers" if he pushed forward against Brooks." This incident could have been worse. Amukamaru handled it in a similar way.

Players know NFL is full of testosterone filled guys with mojo and you either accept that or find another career. That's why many are siding with Ritchie, even though its not PC. If Ritchie didn't use the N-Word, which was a big mistake, this would be a lessor issue. The media blew this up so people who don't even watch football would click on links to the story.

As for your last statement, why are players who support Ritche "weak minded?" Are the niners' players who supported Brooks when he assaulted a teammate weak minded? What about those who supported Aldon after he wrapped his car around a tree and is being charged with felony weaponds? They are just supporting a teammate in trouble when the media, with no knowledge of the situation, attempt to pass judgement to sell print. The fact that not many on that team are supporting Martin speaks volumes.

Do we have a locker room of stupid? I mean, what Brooks and Aldon did was worse then what Ritchie did.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Nov 9, 2013 at 12:48 AM ]
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
omg he's such a terrible guy...yet no dolphins teammates other than jonathan martin has a problem with him.

martin needs to grow some balls

We may never know the whole truth but maybe, just maybe, Martin is the smart and courageous one ~ for walking away.
And those who stayed are the cowards ~ living under Incognito's thumb.

the fact that martin threw a hissy fit because of a harmless cafeteria prank/gag is ridiculous. i get that incognito is a dick but damn, be a man.

What hissy fit did he throw? It was Incognito that instantly went on twitter. It was Incognitos dad posting on discussion boards. I fail to see a hissy fit on Martins part. And the cafeteria prank was just the straw that broke the camels back.
It doesn't prove anything. But it tends to show he liked Icognito, at least at some point. Which was corroborated by other teammates.

It surely doesn't prove that he's fallible, and doesn't even tend to show that absent any corroboration.

Yeah, Incognito may be unstable and immature, but there were other guys in the locker room who disagree with you or are able to tolerate his behavior. Enough guys to vote him in. I doubt they are all fallible.

Haley was diagnosed with bi-polar and would jack off at meetings and flung dog poop at Seifert. That's a little different then leaving a nasty voicemails and getting up at a table when Martin sat down...

There are work place environments that would make disagreeing terribly uncomfortable. I've always chosen to not work in those environments and have had the luxury of being able to pick my spots. A draftee is stuck unless he does a John Elway...which is almost impossible...except for John Elway.

Tolerating behavior is a tricky thing...many bullies drive kids to suicide every year and no one steps in and stops them because it is difficult to do so. I was lucky that my parents loathed bullies and taught me to stick up for my fellow classmates...even if I did not personally like them. I know a kid who was brutally beaten, almost to death, while his classmates were too frightened to step up and stop the bully. There were many "nice kids" among the crowd of watchers...they just didn't have the courage to stick their necks out. If Incognito is so out of control that numerous football factories couldn't tolerate his behavior I'm left to believe he is in the wrong until I have evidence to the contrary.

I don't care how many weak minded teammates support him, just proves my point that an atmosphere of stupid has been created on this team and in this locker room. I will still admit I could be wrong...just think the majority of what I've read points to this conclusion.

You are right in that disagreeing with the masses is hard. Maybe Martin thought voting him in would make things better. That's definitely a possibility.

As for the classmate example, these aren't kids. They are adults. And a locker room is not like school or a regular job. It takes a level of toughness and nastiness to be an O-linemen. For example, when Mathews hit Kap late, Staley jumped in. Staley is like the polar opposite of Richie, but, his nastiness, combined with his physical skills, make Staley a very good player and teammate. AD is intimidating because people know he will play till the whistle and "peel" defenders off the pile.

Would Martin come to the aid of Kap in that situation? It seems like he wouldn't and that's what the dolphin players were trying to help with..Make him unafraid to be like Staley. Obviously, the dolphins may have went overboard, but their intentions seemed good. They were trying to toughen him up so he could have a better career.

Ritchie was out of control, yes, and teams got rid of him. But teams also kept giving him a chance. . I mean, Michael Vick ran a dog fighting ring and was given chances. Albert Hainsworth stomped a guy in his eye and was given chances after. Amukamaru was carried to a ice tub and thrown in by Tuck i believe. That's battery. We have guys like Steve Smith (team leader) in the league who punched a teammate in the face (assault and battery). Blount punched a guy in the face in college and fought a teammate in tamba bay. Our own Ahmad Brooks battered a teammate.

There are many more examples of teammate on teammate assaults. I don't think what Ritchie has done, as far as we know, ever rose to that level.

Why are Ritchie's actions considered bullying and not the above mentioned? Those incidents mentioned above were handled, like men, in house, as to not disrupt the team. Martin chose to handle it this way. For example, in the Brooks' case, "Divens initially wanted to press charges for the attack, which was witnessed by two other members of the 49ers, but later told police that it "would be bad for both their careers" if he pushed forward against Brooks." This incident could have been worse. Amukamaru handled it in a similar way.

Players know NFL is full of testosterone filled guys with mojo and you either accept that or find another career. That's why many are siding with Ritchie, even though its not PC. If Ritchie didn't use the N-Word, which was a big mistake, this would be a lessor issue. The media blew this up so people who don't even watch football would click on links to the story.

As for your last statement, why are players who support Ritche "weak minded?" Are the niners' players who supported Brooks when he assaulted a teammate weak minded? What about those who supported Aldon after he wrapped his car around a tree and is being charged with felony weaponds? They are just supporting a teammate in trouble when the media, with no knowledge of the situation, attempt to pass judgement to sell print. The fact that not many on that team are supporting Martin speaks volumes.

Do we have a locker room of stupid? I mean, what Brooks and Aldon did was worse then what Ritchie did.

Most of those examples you are giving are single incidents. Thats why they are different. This was an ongoing thing with Incognito and Martin. It sounds like Martin let go of a lot of single incidents over an extended period of time before deciding to do what he did.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
omg he's such a terrible guy...yet no dolphins teammates other than jonathan martin has a problem with him.

We may never know the whole truth but maybe, just maybe, Martin is the smart and courageous one ~ for walking away.

the fact that martin threw a hissy fit because of a harmless cafeteria prank/gag is ridiculous. i get that incognito is a dick but damn, be a man.

What hissy fit did he throw? It was Incognito that instantly went on twitter. It was Incognitos dad posting on discussion boards. I fail to see a hissy fit on Martins part. And the cafeteria prank was just the straw that broke the camels back.

The hissy hit of leaving the team....

Its the tamest prank ever, like i said grow up

Leaving the team and the game he has trained for and which pays his salary is scarcely a hissy fit. It may be an extremely brave act or an extremely desperate one. And you demean it with a stupid phrase.

Hopefully, you are never in a position where such an option appears the only solution. In the meantime keep the personal remarks out of what is a somewhat emotional thread.

Because its so grown up to allow employees to be treated like Martin was for an extended period of time? Its grown up for adults to protect and defend this type of behavior because "culture" dictates its alright? How does your work place function? I can guarantee if you had a co worker, or coworkers treating you like Martin was getting treated you wouldn't act so "grown up". Would you feel comfortable going home and looking your wife and kids in the eye knowing that you have been putting up with this kind of nonsense for the sake of "culture". Martin is the grown up in this situation.

The fact that so many people rush to defend a guy like Incognito, and swarm to attack Martin shows how f**ked up the culture is to begin with. "Taunting is sooo messed up its ruining the game, what Golden Tate did was uncalled for and extremely unprofessional, but that stuff going on in the locker room, nothing to see here, that's just part of our "culture" Martin needs to man the f**k up"

This is what that "culture" resembles.

Because its so grown up to allow employees to be treated like Martin was for an extended period of time? Its grown up for adults to protect and defend this type of behavior because "culture" dictates its alright? How does your work place function? I can guarantee if you had a co worker, or coworkers treating you like Martin was getting treated you wouldn't act so "grown up". Would you feel comfortable going home and looking your wife and kids in the eye knowing that you have been putting up with this kind of nonsense for the sake of "culture". Martin is the grown up in this situation.

The fact that so many people rush to defend a guy like Incognito, and swarm to attack Martin shows how f**ked up the culture is to begin with. "Taunting is sooo messed up its ruining the game, what Golden Tate did was uncalled for and extremely unprofessional, but that stuff going on in the locker room, nothing to see here, that's just part of our "culture" Martin needs to man the f**k up"

an nfl locker room isn't comparable to the average "workplace". martin could have kept this whole incident in house and dealt with it differently. now the whole team has to deal with this circus.
Originally posted by English:
Leaving the team and the game he has trained for and which pays his salary is scarcely a hissy fit. It may be an extremely brave act or an extremely desperate one. And you demean it with a stupid phrase.

Hopefully, you are never in a position where such an option appears the only solution. In the meantime keep the personal remarks out of what is a somewhat emotional thread.

what personal remarks?

yes, I think a grown man who got upset and left the team because a few of his teammates pulled an innocent prank on him is enough for me to call it a hissy fit.

an nfl locker room isn't comparable to the average "workplace". martin could have kept this whole incident in house and dealt with it differently. now the whole team has to deal with this circus.

He attempted to keep it "in house" for over a year. If the whole team had handled the situation like adults it would have never been a problem. Instead they want to run their locker room like animals. They shouldn't be surprised when animal control shows up.

And the bold is one of the problems. The NFL is indeed a workplace, regardless of how much they want to pretend they are above societal norms. The argument its different because its the NFL is a cop out. They are grown men, collecting a paycheck to do a job for their employer. The fact that they, as grown men, cant hold themselves to the same societal standards as the rest of us is what is wrong, and no, not every locker room is full of Incognitos running the circus.
Originally posted by English:

what personal remarks?

yes, I think a grown man who got upset and left the team because a few of his teammates pulled an innocent prank on him is enough for me to call it a hissy fit.

I think he thought you were telling me to grow up, but i didnt take it that way, so no harm no foul. But you are seriously downplaying the chain of events that lead to Martin leaving the team. It was not one cafeteria prank gone bad. Put yourself in his shoes. You go through this stuff for over a year, it hasnt gotten better, it has progressively gotten worse, but you still show up to work and attempt to eat with you teammates. Putting myself into Martins shoes i could easily see why the cafeteria prank was the last straw for Martin.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Nov 9, 2013 at 2:40 AM ]

Most of those examples you are giving are single incidents. Thats why they are different. This was an ongoing thing with Incognito and Martin. It sounds like Martin let go of a lot of single incidents over an extended period of time before deciding to do what he did.

They weren't necessarily all single incidents. Steve Smith punched Ken Lucas and another teammate while watching film. I doubt Smith one day just said i'm going to punch a guy in the film room. There were probably incidents leading up to the altercations. Sounds ongoing to me. We are talking about Smith, a team leader beating up teammates. What is different about Smith's antics vs. Ritchie? Smith sounds way worse. He actually beat guys up.

Now, those guys could of brought up all the hazing, bullying etc... but i don't recall they did. They just handled it in house.
Omg the keep it in the house mentality drives me nuts especially in a work place. We"re talking about frikkin football here lol.

Now if this was some g14 classified fbi group of indiviguals jeopardizing national secrets, maybe.
[ Edited by MoistButtCheeks on Nov 9, 2013 at 2:47 AM ]

They weren't necessarily all single incidents. Steve Smith punched Ken Lucas and another teammate while watching film. I doubt Smith one day just said i'm going to punch a guy in the film room. There were probably incidents leading up to the altercations. Sounds ongoing to me. We are talking about Smith, a team leader beating up teammates. What is different about Smith's antics vs. Ritchie? Smith sounds way worse. He actually beat guys up.

Now, those guys could of brought up all the hazing, bullying etc... but i don't recall they did. They just handled it in house.

So we can assume it was "handled" in house? What of Martins story leads anyone to believe things were "handled" in house. To me it sounds like the guy put up with it for over a year, nothing got "handled" by anyone, and then it finally progressed to the point where it is today. How do we know he never attempted to handle anything in house? Never went to managment? Never attempted to squash the BS coming his way from his teammates?

Do you think Harbaugh would let this go on for over a year? Do you think our locker room would allow it to go on for over a year? I find that hard to believe. Its the Miami dolphins and its leadership that failed to handle it in house, not Martin. But i dont expect anything different from a club that has a guy like Incognito running the locker room.

Also Incognito and his Dad went out to the pubic airing dirty laundry. They went on the defensive instead of keeping it "in house".

double standards and all that jazz.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Nov 9, 2013 at 2:51 AM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Spent a few years in the service and the hazing was always work related not personal. Doing the dirty jobs, worst duty schedule, and worst accommodations...but never this sort of stuff.

One of the many reasons I respected Walsh was his stance on hazing...very informed and professional. The Miami situation happens when your leaders are the least mature or evolved or the group. That comes from management and is one reason I did respect Nolan when he took over as coach of the niners. Though I lost respect for him after several stupid incidents mocking injured players, he did try to bring in high character players.

Why would this likely not happen on the 9ers? Gore, Willis, J Smith, Staley...the vets on this team are all solid professionals too busy doing their jobs at the highest level to be this idiotic.

Great point. This is why I don't trust the judgement of Miami's players when they stick up for Incognito. These are the same clowns who decided to make him a team captain. Obviously their view of leadership and maturity is distorted. Incognito as a team leader is a fail of epic proportions.

Martin voted for Incognito as well according to teammates.

Which proves that...hmmm...let me think...he is fallible? He is capable of going along to get along? He made an error in judgement? He thought Incognito was actually capable of adult behavior?

We may find out that Martin is a really bad guy who is trying to undermine the Miami team because they made him carry bags. But so far the evidence is that incognito is very, very unstable and immature...and he is a leader on the team. It's as if the niners of the 80's made Haley their undisputed leader and gave him carte blanche to do what he wished. Instead, they used Lott and others to keep Haley under control. Guess which method produced Super Bowls.

Yes, because masterbating during a meeting is "keeping things under control". Walsh was fortunate he didn't have a "Martin" on any of his teams. That's your SB winning formula.

I find it amusing that the ones talking s**t about Incognito are leaving Haley out. Can you imagine what Goodell would find if he investigated the 9er's locker room during the 80's and 90's? Ive read some of the stuff Haley would to to reporters. Anyone think he wouldnt get suspended like Incognito if a reporter blew the whistle? What about Romonowski getting bullied by Haley. How many of Martin's supporters would feel the same about Romo if he blew the whistle and cost us a couple SBs? We even brought Haley back for a second stint. Theres not a single 49ers fan that wouldve been in favor cutting Haley or giving 2 s**ts if he was a bully or not. And wasn't Kevin Gogan basically the Incognito of his time?

Can you imagine the stuff Haley would be texting if it existed back then?
[ Edited by 49erMike on Nov 9, 2013 at 6:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Of course you don't know this, all they are doing at this point is circling wagons and playing CYA at the moment. I wouldn't believe a word of what comes out of the Miami locker room at this point. Guys repeatedly contradicting each other, make claims that they immediately retract, just like Hartline with his claim that Martin played the voicemail for the locker room, which he later said that he "may have been mistaken" about. Just like with the Rams and Buffalo, down the road you'll hear guys come out and say "yeah, he was a total douchebag but we didn't want to make the team look bad."

Another thing I don't get is everything that comes out in favor of Incognito is considered "CYA", while everything coming out in favor of Martin is considered factual in the way the media is portraying it.

And yes, I think incognito is just as big a dbag as Martin is a puss (for NFL football)
[ Edited by 49erMike on Nov 9, 2013 at 7:00 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone