There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

LT- Johnathan Martin- bullying inside Dolphins locker room

Originally posted by vaden:
For Cam Cleeland, hazing incident altered his NFL career — and life

excerpt:

"Coach [Mike] Ditka gave me a speech as soon as it was done," he recalled. "He was like, 'Oh, man, you should have just popped those guys in the mouth.' I said, 'Coach, there were 60 of them.'"

Seven years later, when Cleeland was playing for St. Louis, the Rams drafted Incognito, who had been kicked off his college teams at Nebraska and Oregon.
"I'm not afraid to say that he was an immature, unrealistic scumbag," Cleeland said. "When it came down to it, he had no personality, he was a locker-room cancer, and he just wanted to fight everybody all the time. It was bizarre beyond belief."

Just as he shakes his head at Ditka's suggestion he simply should have thrown punches, he scoffs at the reaction some have about the situation in Miami.
"Any NFL player that gives Martin a hard time — I don't know him — but any guy who says, 'This guy should have been a tough guy, should have stood up to him,' it's BS," he said.

"I don't care if you're a good guy or not, you don't deserve that kind of treatment in any workplace. You've got to be tough. We're all tough guys. But in the end, you're still a human being."

What the NFL lacks, Cleeland said, is a culture in which players can be free to express their concerns, as they would be able to do in a normal workplace. NFL players are warriors, and admitting any hint of weakness simply isn't allowed.

"This guy [Martin] was probably feeling threatened and bothered by [Incognito] from day one," Cleeland said. "He let it simmer and let it go and finally, instead of going to the coaches. ...

"What happens if you go to your coach and say, 'This guy's bothering me.' He's going to look at you and go, 'Are you crazy? You wuss. You're not tough. Get out of my office.' I'm not saying that's what would happen with [Dolphins Coach Joe] Philbin, because I don't know, but that's what's going to happen with 95% of coaches."

Thanks, well worth reading.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
It's a man's game, no place in this game for a girly man. Sounds like Martin may be a wuss. This sort of locker room, players policing players, stuff has been going on forever.

The NFL is not for everyone, even if you are 6'5" 300+

But there's a line that has to be drawn. As A GROWN ASS MAN, Igcognito should know that line! I mean, they play for the SAME TEAM with ONE COMMON GOAL-to win! I don't see how Igcognito's behavior helps the dolphins achieve that goal......

This is what I'm saying. Yeah I'm fine with some of the general hazing (rookies carrying pads or singing some pop song in front of the rest of their teammates) but past that these dudes need to come together with a common goal, not continue to pull this stupid b******t. There is a reason why R.I. is getting passed around like the town whore. There is a reason why the 49ers are far superior than the Dolphins, its cause s**t like this doesn't fly.
The Dolphins entire organization sounds f**ked up beyond belief, from top to bottom.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9946248/richie-incognito-held-offensive-line-meetings-strip-club
Recently suspended guard Richie Incognito held meetings for fellow Miami Dolphins offensive linemen at a South Florida strip club and would fine them if they didn't attend, according to a report.

The National Football Post, citing two sources, reported that Incognito expected the linemen to attend. If they failed to show up, Incognito would fine them in the club's kangaroo court and mock them for not being part of the group, one of the sources said.

"Richie wanted to set up Richie's world as a way for everybody to act," a team source told the National Football Post. "Richie thinks everybody should act that way. He doesn't get that some guys aren't into that behavior. Some guys don't want to constantly explain to their wife or girlfriend why they have to go to a strip club."

This is the latest news to surface about Incognito, who was suspended by the Dolphins on Sunday for conduct detrimental to the team amid accusations he bullied and used racially charged terms against fellow lineman Jonathan Martin.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
A football locker room is unlike most places in american society. A different set of rules apply here. I am by no means condoning some of Incognito's off color remarks, but players usually establish the boundries and for most part once established, they are respected by other players.

The problem is when you've got no real quality veterans in the locker room and the idiots rule the roost. In a locker room like New England's, the 49er's, Seattle's, do you really think this b******t would go down. The whole notion of a locker room is its own separate entity only works when you have some actual adults in the room, Miami's locker room sounds like some Lord of The Flies type b******t, no adults in charge in the organization, a spineless, clueless head coach, goons as your leading veterans, no balance whatsoever. Incognito was one of the guys basically running that locker room, knowing his history, how he's been called a cancer, a perpetual headache, is it any surprise that things went down the way they did in that locker room?

Do you think this stuff would have happened around Justin Smith, Joe Staley, Frank Gore, Patrick Willis, Whitner....etc. f**k no. The problem with Miami is that in the offseason either through free agency or trade, they lost almost every single guy off their veteran council and goons like Incognito stepped into fill the void, its no shock it fell apart for them.

Forget the whole Martin situation, a locker room like that simply isn't conducive to winning football. as long as that culture remains in the Miami locker room, that team isn't going to have any sort of real success. A team is united when everyone is involved and they all have the same goals and the same agenda, when everyone is focused on winning, you don't have guys who look at going to work with disdain because of d******ds who basically run the team. Things won't change until Miami dumps the problematic players, overhaul the coaching staff and front office and get some true, quality veteran leaders in there.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Nov 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM ]
Everyone says it was taken too far!

What exactly was taken too far??

The only thing that's happened has been the leaving the table when Martin came

The voice mails are everyday regular joking and teasing.

The $15,000 Vegas trip EVERYONE PAID INTO. And Martin was supposed to go

Meetings at the strip club? f**k yes I'll have a team meeting at the strip club lol
The guy who complained probably had his wife next to him lol
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The Dolphins entire organization sounds f**ked up beyond belief, from top to bottom.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9946248/richie-incognito-held-offensive-line-meetings-strip-club
Recently suspended guard Richie Incognito held meetings for fellow Miami Dolphins offensive linemen at a South Florida strip club and would fine them if they didn't attend, according to a report.

The National Football Post, citing two sources, reported that Incognito expected the linemen to attend. If they failed to show up, Incognito would fine them in the club's kangaroo court and mock them for not being part of the group, one of the sources said.

"Richie wanted to set up Richie's world as a way for everybody to act," a team source told the National Football Post. "Richie thinks everybody should act that way. He doesn't get that some guys aren't into that behavior. Some guys don't want to constantly explain to their wife or girlfriend why they have to go to a strip club."

This is the latest news to surface about Incognito, who was suspended by the Dolphins on Sunday for conduct detrimental to the team amid accusations he bullied and used racially charged terms against fellow lineman Jonathan Martin.

omg he's such a terrible guy...yet no dolphins teammates other than jonathan martin has a problem with him.

martin needs to grow some balls
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
omg he's such a terrible guy...yet no dolphins teammates other than jonathan martin has a problem with him.

martin needs to grow some balls

We may never know the whole truth but maybe, just maybe, Martin is the smart and courageous one ~ for walking away.
And those who stayed are the cowards ~ living under Incognito's thumb.
Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington3h
Martin to Richie last week: "Just know I don't blame you guys at all it's just the culture around football…locker room got to me a little."

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington4h
Fascinating for this reason: One week ago, Incognito not only believed he wasn't being implicated but that Martin viewed him as a friend.

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington4h
One week ago, at this hour, Incognito told me about text Martin sent him, noting Martin did not blame him or O-line but instead NFL culture.
So much BS in this thread extolling the virtues of Richie Incognito. Gives you a clue as to those posters values and life styles. Anyone who thinks that this is normal or correct behavior, in any group, is just terribly misguided.
Just to get s**t into perspective, verbal abuse (incognito gate) is a bigger deal per media than drunk driving, domestic abuse, murder (Hernandez), and the NFL conspiracy to cover up concussions. Poor Martin.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Just to get s**t into perspective, verbal abuse (incognito gate) is a bigger deal per media than drunk driving, domestic abuse, murder (Hernandez), and the NFL conspiracy to cover up concussions. Poor Martin.

Not really dude. There is a lot of coverage on this story because it is so odd and uncommon. Nobody thinks its a worse situation then any of the other things you listed. But DUIs and domestic abuse seem to happen every week. It's like people are desensitized to it. Sad but true. And the Hernandez story got a ton of coverage. That wasn't swept under the rug by any means.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
So much BS in this thread extolling the virtues of Richie Incognito. Gives you a clue as to those posters values and life styles. Anyone who thinks that this is normal or correct behavior, in any group, is just terribly misguided.

This. That type of misguided thinking is what created the dysfunctional atmosphere in Miami's locker room. It's like bizarro world over there.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Nov 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM ]
The f**k is wrong with america where a guy like Incognito, someone everyone knows is a scum bag, is defended, over a guy like Martin, who may have emotional issues, but has never done harm to anyone? Who was, from the looks of it, attempting to do his best at putting up with it, until it simply became an unworkable situation. Would you sit at your work place and deal with this s**t because of some BS "culture".

Everyone knows Incognito is a scum bag. EVERYONE. If you dont you havent been paying attention. But yet Martin, THE VICTIM, is a bad guy because he handled a bad situation in a mature adult way?

Talking about "man up"? Please. This kid went to Stanford, was a second round draft pick, and has accomplished more in his young life than most do in their entire lifetimes.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
The f**k is wrong with america where a guy like Incognito, someone everyone knows is a scum bag, is defended, over a guy like Martin, who may have emotional issues, but has never done harm to anyone? Who was, from the looks of it, attempting to do his best at putting up with it, until it simply became an unworkable situation. Would you sit at your work place and deal with this s**t because of some BS "culture".

Everyone knows Incognito is a scum bag. EVERYONE. If you dont you havent been paying attention. But yet Martin, THE VICTIM, is a bad guy because he handled a bad situation in a mature adult way?

Talking about "man up"? Please. This kid went to Stanford, was a second round draft pick, and has accomplished more in his young life than most do in their entire lifetimes.

Why don't you wait until all the facts are out. No one is denying the fact the Incognito is a dick head.

As it stands right now I am not sure what to make of Martin. Part of me thinks he is just doing this to sue. Only time will tell.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

You left out Hitler and Pol Pot.