There are 217 users in the forums

Taunting could nullify touchdown next season

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't agree with this at all for a few reasons.

1. How can you take away a scoring drive on a nonsense penalty? That can change the outcome of the game. There are already enough penalties that do not fit the infraction, like some of the automatic first down penalties. Especially when the defense has pinned the opponent on a 3rd and long. Just accept the TD, and issue the 15 yard penalty as it stands now.
2. It's going to be up to the refs to decide what taunting is. Holding the ball out to the defender, ok, that's taunting. But I'm waiting for the day a rookie is on his way to his first NFL touchdown, and "smiles too big" for the refs liking. Granted, I always liked Jim Brown for his "Act like you've been there before" attitude, but come on now!
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
that's fkn stupid.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
this motherf**ker is killing the game. it really is the no fun league now. no dances, no taunting at all, no hitting unless its in a 1 square foot legal area. ease the f**k up

One square foot legal area. Hahaha!
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Looks like the Seahawks won't be scoring any touchdowns next year.

What Golden did was stupid. But this is pretty much the only time I've seen anything like this from the Hawks during the play. Other than that..

1) Sidney Rice likes to spin the ball after a big catch, he got called for it recently, he has since stopped, but honestly he hasn't big making catches this year, just tore his ACL, is out for the season, and perhaps will not be a Hawk next year.
2) Richard Sherman likes to do that "are you crazy" thing if he blocks a pass, but that's after the play and he's a defensive player.
3) During the big Marshawn Lynch TD over the Saints, he jumped in the End Zone holding his crotch...that was a couple years ago.

So again, what Golden did was stupid, but it's not like we're taunting every play that gets in the End Zone. So I'm not too concerned. Pete Caroll also chewed out Golden after that play. So it is what it is.
On a side note. I dont agree with the potential of taking away a TD. As others have said, that gives way too much power to the refs.

and yes the NFL = No Fun League is more and more true every year. I think as football fans, we all love the taunting, big hits, celebrations, etc. I for one loved that touchdown bomb dance.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Think the players regret signing the CBA now?

Last season when the NFL signed its new CBA(Collective Bargain Agreement) to end the lockout and save the season. There were a few stipulations that some players voiced there displeasure with but for the good of the game they sat aside there griefs. One such stipulation is that all appeals of fines and suspensions laid out by Roger Goodell will be appealed by none other then Roger Goodell? Not a separate appeals board, but Goodell. So lets get this straight a LB gets fined 30,000$ and suspended for 2 games by Goodell for a hit he feels was illegal. The LB doesn't agree and appeals the suspension and he has to go see the same man who jus suspended him? But players signed off on the deal and its done, even though its crazy.

http://www.mrvons-universe.com/sports/is-roger-goodell-killing-nfl-football-as-we-know-it/

I don't believe this is true. Last week when Brandon Meriweather was suspended for two games it was reported that Matt Birk and Ted Cottrell would be in charge of the appeal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/21/brandon-meriweather-suspended-two-games/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/23/meriweather-suspension-reduced-to-one-game/

Originally posted by JimA49ers:
I don't agree with this at all for a few reasons.

1. How can you take away a scoring drive on a nonsense penalty? That can change the outcome of the game. There are already enough penalties that do not fit the infraction, like some of the automatic first down penalties. Especially when the defense has pinned the opponent on a 3rd and long. Just accept the TD, and issue the 15 yard penalty as it stands now.
2. It's going to be up to the refs to decide what taunting is. Holding the ball out to the defender, ok, that's taunting. But I'm waiting for the day a rookie is on his way to his first NFL touchdown, and "smiles too big" for the refs liking. Granted, I always liked Jim Brown for his "Act like you've been there before" attitude, but come on now!

Answer each point. My opinion is this....

1. The penalty won't nullify the entire play, just the score, it will be like a spot foul. If it is an 80 yard TD bomb and he starts taunting at the 20 he will be ruled down at the 20 or perhaps given a 15 yard penalty from the 20 and the team will get the ball on the opponents 35. Still netting 45 yards on the pay. That will be the only way that owners and coaches that preside on the competition committee will go for it IMHO.

2. This is already an issue, when Lavelle Hawkins got his two taunting penalties in the preseason(the headbutt most noteably) I saw a guy do the exact same things repeatedly and not be flagged. Similar example is when Boldin got in Mathieu's face and drew a personal foul call for headbutting but you can watch almost any game and it happens at least once per game and the refs don't flag it.

I agree they have to be very explicit about what taunting will be defined as. I think it the reasonable rule would be a combination of actions before crossing the goal line. Such as...

Looking back AND high stepping
Looking back AND holding the ball out
Looking back AND turning around like DeSean Jackson and falling into the endzone

The front flip/somersaults will probably be ruled taunting if you aren't actually attempting to get by a defender. Things like that.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Looks like the Seahawks won't be scoring any touchdowns next year.

lynch and wilson never celebrate. they act like they've been there before, unlike Kap.
Originally posted by zaghawk:
On a side note. I dont agree with the potential of taking away a TD. As others have said, that gives way too much power to the refs.

and yes the NFL = No Fun League is more and more true every year. I think as football fans, we all love the taunting, big hits, celebrations, etc. I for one loved that touchdown bomb dance.

Noooo, we don't all love taunting. Whats the matter with you? You put taunting in the same discussion as celebrations and big hits? This will completely eliminate taunting from the game and that's the way it should be. Risking points being taken off the board will not be tolerated by coaches and it will completely put a stop to it I guarantee it.

As I said in another thread. If taunting happens while the play is still live as in St. Louis, the TD shouldn't count and said player should be removed from the game. If it happens after the play its still unsportsman like conduct. There is NO place for it at any level of ball. Its a disgusting display of selfishness and showboating at the expense of someone else.
I think that's a little extreme I get they want the taunting to stop but come on. I always thought taunting was stupid these are grown men not 5 years olds. But not counting the touchdown is going to far. You want to teach these guys a lesson do something else like fine them or something but don't mess with the game over a dumb move by the players.
I get it at the youth and high school level, sorta at the college level, but in the NFL where these are grown-a** men being paid to essentially be modern-day gladiators? Even though I love and much prefer guys like Barry Sanders who just flip the ball to the ref, I'm not a big fan of "taunting" penalties in the NFL...but okay, 15 yards, whatever. But take away a TD? Ridiculous and just flat-out stupid. Which of course means Mama Goodell will seriously consider it.

Originally posted by NinerG94:

Noooo, we don't all love taunting. Whats the matter with you? You put taunting in the same discussion as celebrations and big hits? This will completely eliminate taunting from the game and that's the way it should be. Risking points being taken off the board will not be tolerated by coaches and it will completely put a stop to it I guarantee it.

As I said in another thread. If taunting happens while the play is still live as in St. Louis, the TD shouldn't count and said player should be removed from the game. If it happens after the play its still unsportsman like conduct. There is NO place for it at any level of ball. Its a disgusting display of selfishness and showboating at the expense of someone else.

During the play, I think it's stupid, The time spent doing the taunting, could COST you the play. i.e. Golden slowed down, took an unnecessary hit that could have cost the TD, his career if he got hurt, etc.

However, after the play is over. I'm okay with a little bit of it. Let's face it those guys on the field are talking smack before/after most plays. Whether they need it to boost their own ego, or just try in get in the heads of the opponent, it happens. And if you show the other guy up, I think you're warranted a little bit of taunting after the play. Does it mean bumping a chest into the guy and giving him the finger, probably not. But touchdown spiking the ball and a little look like "what now talker", well you got the big play, you deserve a little bit of that. Hell we all know Richard Sherman talks crap on the field, and if a receiver gets a big TD catch on him, I believe that receiver has all right to rub it in his face after (most do), and he takes it because he had it coming.

Originally posted by DelCed2486:
I get it at the youth and high school level, sorta at the college level, but in the NFL where these are grown-a** men being paid to essentially be modern-day gladiators? Even though I love and much prefer guys like Barry Sanders who just flip the ball to the ref, I'm not a big fan of "taunting" penalties in the NFL...but okay, 15 yards, whatever. But take away a TD? Ridiculous and just flat-out stupid. Which of course means Mama Goodell will seriously consider it.

In 20 years, we're going to be watching the two coaches playing Madden against each other.
I'd prefer an ejection over nullifying a touchdown. There are times the game just isn't fun at all with all of the flags. I think it was the Colts game where Indy got 30 yards in questionable penalties against us which started the game off on a bad note for us. Also the penalties are not equally enforced which leads to players, coaches, and fans alike being confused.

Besides the over officiating of the game, there's also TOO many rules in my opinion that help the offense. The rules that are designed to protect the quarterback and defenseless receivers have almost made football like playing a video game with the numbers being put up. It's like the NFL is trying to eliminate defense altogether.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

In 20 years, we're going to be watching the two coaches playing Madden against each other.

I can see it happening.
should be a spot foul plus 15 yd penalty. There's a difference between having fun and pulling out bush league crap like what Tate did.
Share 49ersWebzone