There are 222 users in the forums

What happens if there's a tie atop the NFC West?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Looking at both our schedules and I can see the Seahawks and Niners finishing with a 13-3 record or 12-4, Our two tough games are versus them and on the road in New Orleans. So what is the tie breaker for same record and division record? Strength of schedule? Margin of win over each other?
http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures
Assuming we have the same record and go 1-1 against each other...

Next is division record, if same then,
Conference record, if same then,
Similar opponents (we've both lost to Colts), if same then,
Strength of schedule... This is where we have the advantage (GB >>>> MIN, and WAS is >= NYG)

So, the obvious need is to continue winning and beat SEA. Then it's going 5-1 in-division. Then it's not losing another conference game (especially NO, CAR, TB, and ATL because they are shared opponents).

In all honesty, it will very difficult to win the division, unless the Hawks lose to a 'shared opponent' team.
so if we win out, we win the division right?
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
so if we win out, we win the division right?

This is correct, unless GB and WAS have a worse winning percentage than MIN and NYG.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
seattle and sf will lose a couple more games each.
Yes. If the Niners win out, and assuming Seattle wins out except for a loss in SF, the Niners win on the strength of schedule tie breaker and Seahawk fans are screaming like stuck pigs.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
seattle and sf will lose a couple more games each.

I agree, which wins/loses will determine the division winner and maybe a bye.
we make another thread is what we do
It'll obviously come down to the point differential, similar to this scenario

4 mins in:

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
that just cannes be possible
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
It'll obviously come down to the point differential, similar to this scenario

4 mins in:

Boomer was incredible in this clip.
If we beat the Saints and the Seahawks lose to them then the division is ours book it. I think the Hawks will lose to us and the Saints, then drop one more game. I think at most we lose one more game, but seeing as how much momentum and fire power we have coming back that may be hard to do. I feel like all the adversity we have gone through will prime us for a championship run. How epic would it be if we played Smith and the Chiefs in SB? If that does happen I will be convinced that the NFL is on a storyline, ala WWE. LOL.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Assuming we have the same record and go 1-1 against each other...

Next is division record, if same then,
Conference record, if same then,
Similar opponents (we've both lost to Colts), if same then,
Strength of schedule... This is where we have the advantage (GB >>>> MIN, and WAS is >= NYG)

So, the obvious need is to continue winning and beat SEA. Then it's going 5-1 in-division. Then it's not losing another conference game (especially NO, CAR, TB, and ATL because they are shared opponents).

In all honesty, it will very difficult to win the division, unless the Hawks lose to a 'shared opponent' team.

I agree with this, they have a better chance of winning the division based on the last 8 games and where they lie and are played for both teams. The one advantage we may have is that I feel the Hawks have peaked already, whereas the Niners have not and are getting lots of depth back, and Seattle isn't looking too hot offensively right now.

I will be amazed if the Niners make it through the next 3 games without 1 loss. I honestly think our season for a division title comes down to the 11/17 game in NO. If we don't have Aldon for that game, I'm not sure we'll get enough pass rush on Brees to pull that out. If we win that, we will be in the driver's seat for the division. If we lose, I feel we can still win out, but we'll finish a game behind the Hawks and be possibly one of the best 5 seeds in NFL history that no one will want to face.

I've been projecting since the beginning of the season that our road to the SB will be WC game at DAL (4 seed), DIV game at NO (1 seed), and NFC Champ Game at SEA (2 seed) or GB (3 seed). As good as the Niners are, that may be too much to ask, but if there's any team that can get it done, it's them!
[ Edited by Beezy33 on Oct 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM ]
I don't think the Saints are going to lose another game so I think the Niners have to win out to get home field advantage. But, I also think that in the playoffs, anything can happen including going up to Clink, knocking the Seahawks out of the playoffs and shocking the NFL. Stranger things have happened.

'87: NIners lead the league in both offense and defense, have the first seed and a bye, but still get knocked off by a wild card team in their first playoff game despite being 12 point favorites.

'88: Niners are 11 point underdogs and as a wild card team have to go back to play in Chicago in -25 degree weather - they plaster the heavily favored Bears something like 28-3.
Share 49ersWebzone