There are 195 users in the forums

Do you think anyone from this list would be an upgrade over what we have now?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do you think anyone from this list would be an upgrade over what we have now?

• Chico
  • Veteran
Kyle = Ginn <-- you exchange one bad habit for another
Delanie < McDonald <-- McD has more potential - Delanie dropped too many balls
Alex < Kap <-- no brainer...kap buys more time, scrambles and THROWS the ball instead of taking the sack
Isaac < Dorsey (Dorsey has 2 sacks, i don't recall any from Soap)
Akers = Dawson (Dawson hasn't been tested too much, so far it's a push)
Dashon < Reid - still early but Reid's potential is much higher
RJF < Dorsey/Tank - haven't seen Tank play yet but then again, haven't seen much of RJF either
Delanie is the only one that I think would be an upgrade but I think McDonald will be better long term. Also He is not necessarily an upgrade but I would rather have Ginn on the roster than Kyle. Ginn at least added something as a receiver although he dropped alot of balls.
Delanie is an ovvious choice in that Vance McDonald hasn't gotten fully comfortable and used to his full potential in this offense. In time though, I think Vance will exceed what Delanie Walker brought to the team.

Ted Ginn is a clear upgrade as well. He didn't do great as a punt returner last season, but he definitely has been a better returner than Kyle Williams and surprisingly, a better receiver this season. The only thing is that Ted Ginn would be a pretty expensive longterm number 4 or 5 receiver.

Not that what he would command is a lot, but I think the team would prefer the contract for a guy that will be 4 or 5 on the depth chart as a receiver to be south of 1 million per year.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Oct 25, 2013 at 3:32 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Soap is better than Dorsey

LOL, no. Why is this guy so damn overrated around here? Soap played like absolute garbage last season, one of the very worst NT's in football,he got his s**t pushed in against every top opponent the 49ers faced last season, thus far he's been mediocre this season for Philly. Dorsey has been very effective, he's even brought some pass rush from the NT spot. I used to think Walker was overrated but damn, Soap gets far more credit than he ever deserved, he had a very solid season in 2011, also played well in 2010, beyond that, he was meh.

Delanie is the only one on that list I would take due to his familiarity with the offense, in the long run, McDonald will be the better player.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM ]
Hmm... let's think about this:

Sopoaga 4 Yrs 12 Million and Ricky Jean Francois 4 Yrs 22 Million OR Glenn Dorsey 2 Yrs 6 million, Ian Williams 3 yrs 3.2 Million
Alex Smith 8 Million or Kaepernick 740k
Delanie Walker 4 Yrs 16 Million or Vance McDonald 4 Yrs, 3.6 Million
Dashon Goldson 5 Yrs 40.5 Million or Eric Reid 4 Yrs, 8.4 million

And sure we could have used RJF or Walker but if we give them 38 million wave goodbye to one of our young players who is our future. None of the guys were worth what they got paid (well maybe Alex) and we couldn't afford them anyways. So doesn't matter if we wanted them back or not they choose to get paid. We couldn't pay those guys that much.

As for Ginn the guy had what 3 years to prove himself as any kind of WR with us and couldn't get it done. Maybe it was partly our fault for not using him but he offered nothing at WR and wasn't fully reliable (injury wise) at returner either. Just because he is doing well with the Panthers who fit him better doesn't mean he would have done that for us. As for Sopoaga 2011 version might have been better than Dorsey but definitely not 2012 version.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM ]
Delanie for now because he is a better blocker than McDonald, but the kid is getting better.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Hmm... let's think about this:

Sopoaga 4 Yrs 12 Million and Ricky Jean Francois 4 Yrs 22 Million OR Glenn Dorsey 2 Yrs 6 million, Ian Williams 3 yrs 3.2 Million
Alex Smith 8 Million or Kaepernick 740k
Delanie Walker 4 Yrs 16 Million or Vance McDonald 4 Yrs, 3.6 Million
Dashon Goldson 5 Yrs 40.5 Million or Eric Reid 4 Yrs, 8.4 million

And sure we could have used RJF or Walker but if we give them 38 million wave goodbye to one of our young players who is our future. None of the guys were worth what they got paid (well maybe Alex) and we couldn't afford them anyways. So doesn't matter if we wanted them back or not they choose to get paid. We couldn't pay those guys that much.

As for Ginn the guy had what 3 years to prove himself as any kind of WR with us and couldn't get it done. Maybe it was partly our fault for not using him but he offered nothing at WR and wasn't fully reliable (injury wise) at returner either. Just because he is doing well with the Panthers who fit him better doesn't mean he would have done that for us. As for Sopoaga 2011 version might have been better than Dorsey but definitely not 2012 version.

Excellent post.

From a contract/performance ratio status, none of them would be significant upgrades to the current 49ers.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Alex Smith>>>any of our back ups

RJF/Soap>>>TJE

Ginn>>>Williams and Moore

Dashon>>>Dahl and (maybe) Hitner

Delanie>>>Celek

Akers>>>The Leprechaun

Yeah, that's right, we don't have a Leprechaun so, f**k Akers!!
Originally posted by susweel:
Soap is better than Dorsey

RickyJ is an upgrade over Ian and Dobbs

• titan
  • Veteran
Soap and Walker.
I miss Ginn in the return game.
Ted Ginn was the best return man the team had as far back as I can remember. His injury in the 2011 playoffs cost us a SB shot. He would easily have been the #2 receiver on this team. He had the one attribute that no coach could teach - SPEED. As far as Soap, Ricky and Delanie, they were all valuable players but not at those prices. Baalke knows how to turn over a roster when players near their 30's, it was the right move.
Alex Smith would be a great backup.
Soap is better than dorsey.
Ginn is better than KW.
Delanie is better than McDs for now, but I think vance will get better with time. remember he's a rookie, so. also he's not a thug ass gangsta shooting auto-weps with aldon. So there's that.

akers vs dawson? Meh.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Ted Ginn was the best return man the team had as far back as I can remember. His injury in the 2011 playoffs cost us a SB shot. He would easily have been the #2 receiver on this team. He had the one attribute that no coach could teach - SPEED. As far as Soap, Ricky and Delanie, they were all valuable players but not at those prices. Baalke knows how to turn over a roster when players near their 30's, it was the right move.

I agree with you 100%. I believe the one guy we should've held onto is ginn, more for his special teams ability than anything else. Even if all our receivers were healthy, we still lack that player that stretches the defense out and I think ginn would pay dividends there as well. It seemed to me in the offseason (mainly free agency) that we put an emphasis on special teams coverage but for some reason let our best return guy walk. I think part of it had to do with him wanting more PT at receiver and he knew in SF that he wouldn't get his opportunity.

I don't think he'd be playing as well for us as he is for Carolina. He's probably soaking in everything Steve Smith is teaching, but it still would've been nice to have him.
Share 49ersWebzone