LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Crabtree Or Harvin

Shop 49ers game tickets

Crabtree Or Harvin

Really don't understand why people insist Harvin is a game breaker. Save for on returns, he just simply isn't.

Both of them move the chains. At WR neither of them are game breakers.

In any case, Crabtree is wildly overrated because Kap feeds the heck out of him. It's the same thing with Boldin this year while Crabs is out.

On the other hand, Harvin is even more injury prone, has the migraine issue, and is also a coaching headache.

Take those things into account and I think it's kind of a push, but Harvin is definitely the more skilled football player.
Both Crabtree and Harvin have played four seasons and it seems the difference in their stats can be attributed to Harvin's versatility . . .
  • Crabtree has 21 career TD's in 58 games (3345 rec yards)
  • Harvin has 29 career TD's in 54 games (3302 rec yards) ~ 4 of his TD's were rushing and 5 kick returns

As for the migraines . . .
seems he hasn't been bothered by that issue in 2 1/2 years (since being diagnosed and treated for sleep apnea)

Anyhoo ~
things are bound to get even more interesting in the NFCW when these dynamic receivers return to their respective teams . . .
Here's hoping they, along with all their starting teammates, are fully healthy on December 8th ~ would be nice to see our teams face each other at full strength.
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Anyhoo ~
things are bound to get even more interesting in the NFCW when these dynamic receivers return to their respective teams . . .
Here's hoping they, along with all their starting teammates, are fully healthy on December 8th ~ would be nice to see our teams face each other at full strength.

This is not meant as any form or excuse, but that train has left the station. If you remember, one of your O-linemen took a cheap shot on the NIners starting NT and ruined his knee for the season. And again, that's the third time a Seahawk has ended a Niner player's season with a cheap shot in as many games. Coincidence?
Apologies for me stepping out of line here:

F&&& Harvin, F$&)$ Wilson, F$$)$ Lynch, F$&&& Tate/rice, F$&@@ Sherman/browner/Thomas/chancellor.

I'm tired of hearing the hype from neutral football fans (ESP harvin and Wilson). To see it continue here is nauseating.

Thank you, now back to regularly scheduled programming .

[ Edited by Bluesbro on Oct 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM ]
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Originally posted by hawker84:
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

/THREAD.

Haha. Crabtree says, "The Legion Of Whom?"

what's crabtrees numbers against the "legion oh whom" in the two games he's played them?

If you're curious about stats you can do some due diligence. I'll help you out on this one, though. Crabtree averages 670 catches for 2,139 yards (2,039 of those yards come after the catch) per game against Seattle's secondary.

* Wikipedia.

Edit: I should mention that 38 of those catches were made with his feet. 14 of Crabtree's foot catches resulted in two touchdowns or more.

Math doesn't lie

Wikipedia is more dependable than math.
  • dj43
Different players. Different offenses. Crabtree is a very good possession receiver who fits well within the Harbaugh system. Harvin is a game-breaker who creates stuff on his own. Right now, Harvin would suddenly make Boldin a more effective receiver by drawing double coverage every time. Crabtree, as good as he his, does not have the game-breaking capability that Harvin has, hence he would not draw the double coverage. His numbers would take away from Boldin since Roman only has one receiver tasked to catch the ball on 95% of the passing plays.

So in the Jim Harbaugh Anointed Receiver Passing Offense, Crabtree would be the better fit. In the WCO offense, Harvin would be of greater overall value. Different players. Different Offenses.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
I think Crabtree is the full package as a receiver. He may not have elite speed but he has great instincts, vision, hands, route running, and blocking skills. Plus, the chemistry between him and Kap is irreplaceable. Those two can make big things happen and hopefully we can witness that for many years to come.

With that being said, Harvin is a beast as well and the qualities he brings as a receiver is a must need for our receiving core. Elite speed and playmaking ability that can stretch the field opposite of Crabtree I would not pass up on. Which I why I am a full advocate of trading for Josh Gordon or drafting Sammy Watkins, Marqise Lee, or Odell Beckham Jr.
I think we have learned this season that the "chemistry" is more the fact that Roman only has one legit receiver on any given pass play. This is likely due to the fact Kaepernick is not yet adept as going through his progressions. (discussed in other threads) Last season, once CK too over, it was all about Crabtree. This year, CK has improved to the point he will also look to Davis but the rest of the time, his "look" is to Boldin. The first real test will come when Crabtree comes back. If CK begins to spread the ball around, that will be progress. If Crabtree becomes the Anointed Receiver over Boldin, it will just be more of the same Roman offense.

Pick your poison.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Really don't understand why people insist Harvin is a game breaker. Save for on returns, he just simply isn't.

Both of them move the chains. At WR neither of them are game breakers.

In any case, Crabtree is wildly overrated because Kap feeds the heck out of him. It's the same thing with Boldin this year while Crabs is out.

On the other hand, Harvin is even more injury prone, has the migraine issue, and is also a coaching headache.

Take those things into account and I think it's kind of a push, but Harvin is definitely the more skilled football player.

Crabtree isn't overrated. He is a 2 time Belitnikoff winner and as for Boldin ... overrated? The guy who torched us in Super Bowl 47 and is going to surpass 10000 yards receiving in his career. What kind of chops does someone have to call Boldin overrated unless you are Jerry Rice? My goodness!! Let us give these guys a little respect why don't we
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Anyhoo ~

This is not meant as any form or excuse, but that train has left the station. If you remember, one of your O-linemen took a cheap shot on the NIners starting NT and ruined his knee for the season. And again, that's the third time a Seahawk has ended a Niner player's season with a cheap shot in as many games. Coincidence?

This tends to happen when we go up to SEA and late in the season the last 2 years to have an impact on our playoff runs. At least we got that trip squared away earlier this season so that we have had time to adjust before the playoffs assuming we make them

Originally posted by xtm059:
i didnt realize there were that many seahawks fans on this board

I didn't realize the Seahawks had fans until last year. Before then, they were nowhere to be found. Now, they're like roaches.
[ Edited by baltien on Oct 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM ]
Harvin is more versatile, but Crabs is the better receiver. Harvin hasn't even cracked 1,000 yards yet, so I don't even see how one could make the case of him being a better receiver than Crabtree.

Both are injury prone doe.
Originally posted by baltien:
Harvin is more versatile, but Crabs is the better receiver. Harvin hasn't even cracked 1,000 yards yet, so I don't even see how one could make the case of him being a better receiver than Crabtree.

Both are injury prone doe.

Both are arguably injury prone but this is the first time that Crabtree has actually missed regular season games due to injury despite his offseason woes
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:
Originally posted by hawker84:
Crabtree is a very good reciever, has shown to be a clutch go to guy, but he's not a gamebreaker. to try and compare the two guys is impossible, they have totally different games, and play totally different roles.

they're both very good recievers, i personally think Harvin brings more to the table as far as playmaking abilties and moving the chains. he can do it with short crossing passes, rushing, or 20 yrd patterns. neither guys is going to burn you over the top, they're going to nickle and dime you all the way down the field. but harvin has the abitlity to take a 5 yrd pass and take it to the house, Crabtree does not... And to me that's the difference... Personally i'd love to have either one of them. Crabtree is the better pure reciever, but Harvin is the better all around athlete/football player.
Obviously you don't remember the 5 yard pass Crab turned into a 40 yard TD against NE last year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000112531/Crabtree-38-yard-TD-catch

Hawkervision.....believing everything .nut tells you without actually looking things up.

golden tate and balwdin have done that as well, doesn't mean they're a threat to do it everytime they touch the ball Harvin is, crapbtree is not.. no dig on him it's just a fact..
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
When it comes to moving the chains Crabtree is chief. He will own Harvin as a number 1 WR. Crabtree gets that YAC. Crabtree catches in traffic over the middle and is especially adept doing it on both intermediate and deep crossing routes. Crabtree is more physical and has better hands. And like you said Crabtree is more clutch on 3rd downs, redzone and end game. Then when you add Boldin we have 2 of them like that. Harvin is faster he is more explosive he is more versatile he is the swiss army knife but he is not worth number 1 WR money when he is no consistent threat on the outside. Crabtree is a 1 and Harvin is a gimmick. Yes I would gladly take him as a 49er and be giddy over him as well but I would take Crabtree for our offense over Harvin any day.

Disclaimer: If I were SEA, I would prefer Harvin over Crabtree because of the Russell Wilson dynamic present. Wilson excels on the play after the called play. Wilson scrambles about on broken plays making magic happen and this is where Harvin can do real damage on the scramble drills where he can get the ball with open space and .... Lookout! I think that Harvin can be worth every penny to SEA because they have Wilson at QB and because of the way that Wilson thrives off organized chaos

i disagree, Harvin is much more physical with the ball in his hands, and is much better at YAC, he was leading the league in YAC last season before the injury. Find it funny the two things he excells in, you've managed to discredit him for it? I'd be more than happy to post stats and vids to back up my claim if you like..
Share 49ersWebzone