LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Rules that need to be changed/fixed...

Shop 49ers game tickets
Pass interference!!! Illegal contact (down-field). Defenseless receiver. Helmet-to-helmet. Roughing the passer. Cut-back below-the-knee block on D-lineman.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Pass interference should have a yardage limit. Make it 15 yards and a first down.

Ive always thought it should be like the old facemask rule. If its a flagrant PI just to save your ass, then spot foul. If its not flagrant, refs should have the option to give a 15 yarder and a first down.

Something else Ive always wanted to see done. I'm tired of seeing offenses penalized 1/2 the distance to the goal and keeping the down. Seriously, if you are at the three and commit a penalty, does it really hurt? Yet if the D jumps offsides, then its 5 yards and easy breathing room for the offense. Should be half distance from the goal as well. Either that or a loss of down for the offense if they arent out to the ten yard line.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Pass interference should have a yardage limit. Make it 15 yards and a first down.

This is the biggest one that should happen. Should've been changed forever ago.

the reason it hasn't changed is that.....

If you have a 50 yard throw into the end zone and the DB is not in a good position to defend ..it would be easier to PI tackle the guy and only give up 15 yards then a TD or first down on the 1

You beat me to it.

The rule is fine the way it is. Otherwise, if you're going to get beat passed 15 yards, you might as well tackle the receiver every time.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Offensive Interference!!!!! Needs to be subtracted the same distance as the pass. If they can give a Defensive pass interference where the foul occurred why can't they do it to the offense.
  • titan
  • Veteran
^thinking alike
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
You beat me to it.

The rule is fine the way it is. Otherwise, if you're going to get beat passed 15 yards, you might as well tackle the receiver every time.
Cause that's what happens in college, where the rule is in effect?
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by Allx9er:

This.....all day

And then when the 49ers get screwed at the end of a game where they're down by 4 at say the oppoents' 45-yd line in the final minute or two, get a PI at the 2, but instead of 1st & Goal it's 1st & 10 at the 30...and then they don't score. I'm sure you all would be thrilled with the 15-yd rule then.

I'd rather see enforcement go back to where it used to be, where refs would allow the "incidental" contact/hand-fighting...as long as it's not flagrant (e.g. overt shove, arm bar) where one player clearly gains an advantage over the other, then the flag stays in the pocket and no call. I think it might also be feasible to allow PI to become a reviewable play.

of course id be mad at the end result. who wouldnt? if the rule is enforced evenly i wouldnt b***h about the call though.

unless it was a bs call against the niners
[ Edited by Allx9er on Oct 16, 2013 at 8:42 PM ]

If you have a 50 yard throw into the end zone and the DB is not in a good position to defend ..it would be easier to PI tackle the guy and only give up 15 yards then a TD or first down on the 1

Yes, that is true, but it would also be easier for the refs to throw the flag more easily without fear of altering the outcome of a game.

For example, soccer has the worst penalty rules in all of professional sports. You get a yellow card, which means you get to stay in the game but you have to play a little more careful, then you get a red card, which means you are ejected and the team itself is without one player for the entire rest of the game. It is utterly stupid, because it forces the referee to make a call that drastically alters the outcome of a game.

Hockey has the best rules. The player sits out for only a little bit of time. Therefore, the official is willing to call it like he see's it. The exception being critical playoff games near the end of the game.
Water polo might be even better, they blow a penalty whistle almost every ten seconds, which, like soccer, results in a warning and then a temporary ejection like hockey. So they can call everything like they see it the whole game.

In football, pass interference is such as drastic penalty, that a slight bump can mean the difference between an incomplete pass and a 50 yard penalty.
15 yards is a big penalty, that is plenty enough. Making it bigger than that makes the officials job too difficult, and it forces a judgement call to determine a huge game altering play.

College rules have always been better than pro rules. The NFL got the two point conversion from college, and it was about time. They need to follow suit with the 15 yard pass interference maximum.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 16, 2013 at 9:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Robert:
You beat me to it.

Cause that's what happens in college, where the rule is in effect?

Exactly.

I mean really, if the receiver has run by you, how the heck are you going to tackle him? And how in the world can you anticipate being beat deep before it has happened?

On rare occasions DB's sometimes are able to take advantage of the rule, but big deal, they still get a huge 15 yard penalty.
Originally posted by DontSitOnTheHood:
I think holding should be a 5 yard penalty. 10 yards is way too steep a price to pay for something that happens on every play.

I like this suggestion. But they would need to call it accurately though (in other words, more often).

Here is one that has always bothered me. If anyone puts a hand on or near a facemask it is always called. But a runner can straight arm right into the grill of the defender and it never gets called. I would like the straight arm gone ... period. But I would settle for not being allowed to do it into the face or head area of the defender.

Originally posted by Bluesbro:
I think holding should be a 5 yard penalty. 10 yards is way too steep a price to pay for something that happens on every play.

I like this suggestion. But they would need to call it accurately though (in other words, more often).

Here is one that has always bothered me. If anyone puts a hand on or near a facemask it is always called. But a runner can straight arm right into the grill of the defender and it never gets called. I would like the straight arm gone ... period. But I would settle for not being allowed to do it into the face or head area of the defender.

That always bugged me too on the face mask thing.

15 yards max on PI.
Get rid of defenseless receiver.

Then why don't we see this in college 15 times every game?
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

I think all OLs should be required to wear gloves that have sensors that can detect the kind of pressure generated on the inside of the fingers when holding.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Oct 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM ]

You beat me to it.

So why don't they make two versions of it?

If it's borderline, flag the defense 15 yards.

If it's obvious/flagrant, give them as many yards as they do now.
Originally posted by theduke85:

You beat me to it.

So why don't they make two versions of it?

If it's borderline, flag the defense 15 yards.

If it's obvious/flagrant, give them as many yards as they do now.

The same reason they removed the "incidental" facemask penalty. If it's a tic-tac call, simply don't call it.

Otherwise, the penalty is subjective and we'd put that perceptive responsibility on the referees. The last thing I want is for our referees to have more power.
Share 49ersWebzone