LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Anquan Boldin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
AB or WRATHman44, how do you see the Aldon Smith negotiating going? After they sign Kaep?

I know you asked AB, but the Matts are suggesting that the 49ers will use their 5th year option as insurance, allowing them to see if he can keep it together through the 2015 season.

BOOM fixed! Thank you!

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by Disp:
Surprised how much they're pushing back to 2015. Then again, no one's contract really explodes in 2015, and a lot of space should be freed up from free agency next year according to http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/yearly/. Staley, WIllis, and Brooks look like they're the only ones who have a higher 2015 salary by much, and none of them are even $2mil. higher than this year. Looks awesome going forward.

If Boldin's 2015 base is indeed $5.5M, which it should be, as it would be inline with 6M a year status, then the only players with higher cap numbers are, Rogers, A.Davis, Willis, and Brooks. Right now the highest would actually be Aldon if we pick up his 5th year option, which is set at $9.754M.

I'll say it again, best FO in the game!

I agree with you!
Going into this season, there was a consensus free agent priority list (including players: Kaep, A.Smith, Crabtree, A.Davis, Iupati, J.Smith,...). How does Boldin's contract alter the seeding? Do we end up losing out on one of these guys because we paid Boldin?
I agree with you!
Going into this season, there was a consensus free agent priority list (including players: Kaep, A.Smith, Crabtree, A.Davis, Iupati, J.Smith,...). How does Boldin's contract alter the seeding? Do we end up losing out on one of these guys because we paid Boldin?

I think Iupati and Crab were always longshots, and I think this makes re-signing them tougher. A.Davis and Cowboy were already extended. Aldon will stick around, IMO
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I agree with you!

I think Iupati and Crab were always longshots, and I think this makes re-signing them tougher. A.Davis and Cowboy were already extended. Aldon will stick around, IMO

Aldon has to stick around. The 9ers are almost certainly going to exercise the 5th year option of his 1st round deal on him. I think Crabtree gets paid (unless he wants $9M a year) because outside of a veteran / HOF caliber WR in Boldin, Crabtree is the only 1 with a rapport with Kap. If the FO cares about Kap's development they won't lose his #1 target in FA and depend on a #2 who despite being a HOF level player(career wise) will be 35 at the start of the 2015 season.

If the 9ers extend Kap sometime this season, the 2014 offseason would look like this.

1. Re-sign Crabtree (Hopefully about $6-7M - would die for a $5M avg)
2. 5th year option Aldon ($9.5M)
3. Re-sign Culliver (Even if he balls out he would probably be easy to re-sign for a moderate money)

Consider re-signing
1. Kendall Hunter - great #2 that I wanted but I'm sure we could find another #2 if need be
2. Bruce Miller - yes he's a pro bowl FB but maybe something freaskish happens and we can't pay him a modest raise to keep him

Let Mike Iupati walk, I think he'll get massively overpaid thanks to the past few years of teams throwing money at interior lineman
Let Glenn Dorsey walk
Let Dan Skuta walk
Let Adam Snyder walk
Let CJ Spillman walk
Let Ray Ventrone walk

Gore potentially retires

The salary cap is potentially going to be in the $145 million +++ range next season, meaning we could probably retain the top 5 I mentioned and either some of the role players mentioned or find equal or better replacements.

I'd love for Iupati to stay but not for Levitre money.

To loop this back to Boldin, his cap # in 2015 makes everything that much more doable because it doesn't ballon in year 2 and the growth of the salary cap combined with many of our players likely missing escalators in the deals (Brooks didn't his this year and so did many others) so we'll likely have a lot more money to play with than most people think.
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 7, 2014 at 12:26 PM ]
Originally posted by sfout:

The salary cap is potentially going to be in the $145 million +++ range next season, meaning we could probably retain the top 5 I mentioned and either some of the role players mentioned or find equal or better replacements.

I've never heard that... a 12M spike in Cap Space seems huge, especially after a big bump this year. That's significantly more than inflation... is this an artifact of the new collective bargaining agreement?
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Mar 7, 2014 at 12:35 PM ]

I've never heard that... a 12M spike in Cap Space seems huge, especially after a big bump this year. That's significantly more than inflation... is this an artifact of the new collective bargaining agreement?

New TV deals being signed this year.

3. Re-sign Culliver (Even if he balls out he would probably be easy to re-sign for a moderate money)

Consider re-signing
1. Kendall Hunter - great #2 that I wanted but I'm sure we could find another #2 if need be
2. Bruce Miller - yes he's a pro bowl FB but maybe something freaskish happens and we can't pay him a modest raise to keep him

Let Mike Iupati walk, I think he'll get massively overpaid thanks to the past few years of teams throwing money at interior lineman
Let Glenn Dorsey walk
Let Dan Skuta walk
Let Adam Snyder walk
Let CJ Spillman walk
Let Ray Ventrone wal

1. I see Crab expecting much more than a 6-7 MM deal. If he'll take that much, great, but I don't think there's anyway he accepts that, unless he spends a chunk of the season hurt again.
2. of course
3. probably

I think they could extend Hunter and Miller during the current offseason.

I'd be surprised if they let Spillman, Skuta, and Ventrone walk at the same time. That would GUT our ST. We did that in 2012, and it cost us the SB.
Dorsey might be tough to replace, especially since we don't know what Williams is looking like right now.
1. I see Crab expecting much more than a 6-7 MM deal. If he'll take that much, great, but I don't think there's anyway he accepts that, unless he spends a chunk of the season hurt again.
2. of course
3. probably

I'd be surprised if they let Spillman, Skuta, and Ventrone walk at the same time. That would GUT our ST. We did that in 2012, and it cost us the SB.
Dorsey might be tough to replace, especially since we don't know what Williams is looking like right now.

Plus, Dorsey is just beginning to realize his potential with this team. He just had the best season of his career.
  • obx49
  • Veteran

Consider re-signing

Let Glenn Dorsey walk
Let Dan Skuta walk
Let Adam Snyder walk
Let CJ Spillman walk
Let Ray Ventrone wal

2. of course
3. probably

I see Crabs asking for Mike Wallace money which is around 10 mil/yr
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
2. of course
3. probably

Plus, Dorsey is just beginning to realize his potential with this team. He just had the best season of his career.

I think Tomsula and the Cowboy have a lot to do with that. Dorsey would be stupid to leave, his production will drop considerably if he does.

We can afford to keep Skuta, Spillman, Dorsey, and Ventrone. Along with Aldon, Kap, and Crabs. Iupati will out price himself IMO.
Originally posted by obx49:

I hope he doesn't because the Niners aren't going to pay that. Besides, what has Mike Wallace done lately for his money? He was 28th in receiving yardage last season for the Dolphins. It just shows again why dumping a lot of money on a free agent isn't a good idea.
In terms of flexibility, I think that the salary cap going up is highly overrated. Every team is getting the raise in cap space. All this means is that there's a larger collective sum of money to be thrown around, and that salaries are going to go up. Whether the cap is $130M or $145M, I think it has virtually zero effect on whether the 49ers will keep their free agents are not. It's simply the difference between a free agent Joe Schmoe for $50M or $58M.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
We can afford to keep Skuta, Spillman, Dorsey, and Ventrone. Along with Aldon, Kap, and Crabs. Iupati will out price himself IMO.

You really think we can keep Crab? Do we cut Boldin next year to get it done? Won't salaries accelerate along with the cap?
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by obx49:

I hope he doesn't because the Niners aren't going to pay that. Besides, what has Mike Wallace done lately for his money? He was 28th in receiving yardage last season for the Dolphins. It just shows again why dumping a lot of money on a free agent isn't a good idea.

I totally agree. Notwithstanding the fact that I believe Crabs is a better WR than Wallace, I don't believe Crabs is worth that money. He's definitely worth 7 to 8 mil/yr though, but I doubt he'll take that. On the other hand, if the cap does jump up an extra 10 mil. next year as projected and if he gets over a 1000 yds receiving next season then maybe I would consider it .
Share 49ersWebzone