LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Anquan Boldin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
It wasn't meant to be an evaluation on individual players and/or their respective worth, merely a comment that the teams have been picking up each other's released players, almost to a comical level.

As for "emulating and posturing" . . .
if that's really the case, I guess it worked ;-)

It did work. I readily admit that and I have loathed the Hawks since the end days of Tim Ruskell because I knew we couldn't separate if the Hawks were intent on emulating.

In chronological order of how I remember things:

We moved back in the draft 2009 and picked up two first rounders in 2010 then the Hawks did likewise. That set up Thomas and Okung? You then rid yourself the following year of Ruskell to get a young scout as GM like we had in Mccloughan. Enter Harbaugh in 2011. We go I think 9-1 before you guys realize that we've been power run and stop the run to force a one dimensional offense since Nolan and Jim has it working and winning. You took the ball away from T Jack and give it to Lynch just as we did to Alex. You studied us up to know as Pete said before the Christmas game that you would run even though we don't want teams to and you almost succeeded in beating us but you broke our no TD one hundred yard streak. You set the template of how to play vs us because of the obsession with us. Then 2012 you draft a half and half QB to match ours the year prior and give you youth and athleticism at the position like we had with Alex and Kap. Also you got baby Willis at MLB. You started to preach we stop the run to make teams one dimensional and you sounded like us. Then SEA started winning after a rough start only when they emulated RG3. The read option and moving Russell is what got him off and still does today because he can't play conventional football in the pocket at his height. All the while Mccloughan is there scouting us and helping you build to beat us. Well enter 2013 when you've finally toppled us by beating us at our own game. I hate this mess because we didn't win the year prior ad we should have. Now SEA gets all the credit for cloning us and surpassing us. You know what SEA deserves it because we had the chance in 2012. Congrats!
Pillbusta ~

You've obviously chronicled the similarities between the Hawks and the Niners more than I have . . .
Seems to me that most struggling / re-building teams (in ALL sports) try to emulate those that are successful.
I would think the Hawks success can be attributed more to Pete's ability to translate his successful approach/philosophy (boundless energy and positive attitude, endless competition, defense oriented, etc) from the college level to the pros than any notion that he is singularly obsessed with the Niners
Also, having the GM and the head coach on the same page is a HUGE plus.

But, I digress - back to Boldin.
Originally posted by LisaTwelve:
Pillbusta ~

You've obviously chronicled the similarities between the Hawks and the Niners more than I have . . .
Seems to me that most struggling / re-building teams (in ALL sports) try to emulate those that are successful.
I would think the Hawks success can be attributed more to Pete's ability to translate his successful approach/philosophy (boundless energy and positive attitude, endless competition, defense oriented, etc) from the college level to the pros than any notion that he is singularly obsessed with the Niners
Also, having the GM and the head coach on the same page is a HUGE plus.

But, I digress - back to Boldin.

No doubt! The credit goes to SEA for what they've done. I have been cautiously monitoring what SEA has been doing because I knew this day could come because the NFL had gone to pass first. The whole league. Even PIT and BAL. When Jim started winning with the run Pete and SEA took notice. Now more teams are trying to run again and the league is adapting once more. I wanted us to be first but you beat us to the chip after .moving on from Hasselbeck and Holmgren. Yes back to Boldin and I begrudgingly rooted for SEA in Feb because I wanted to be 2 rather than 3 or 4
49ers and Boldin closing in on deal per Adam Schefter
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/437616904803323904

@AdamSchefter Doesn't sound like Anquan Boldin going anywhere. Two sides closing in on deal to keep Boldin in SF, per sources. Deal expected to get done.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10506249/anquan-boldin-san-francisco-49ers-close-deal
Wonder what the $$$ numbers and years guarantee are going to end up being. .? For Him I,m guessing. 4.5 mill per year for 3 years with some big escalators and bonus $$....
[ Edited by highway49 on Feb 23, 2014 at 8:20 AM ]
Originally posted by highway49:
Wonder what the $$$ numbers and years guarantee are going to end up being. .? For Him I,m guessing. 4.5 mill per year for 3 years with some big escalators and bonus $$....

I heard 25 million for 3 years with 16 million guaranteed.

Just kidding.

Maybe.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Feb 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Let him go. 34 years old, 6 million a year and 4.7 40 yard dash. We have to get younger, faster and cheaper.

LOL SD. You're on a roll today.

He's too expensive, too old and too slow. Those are all true.

Lol
We'll, at least, he was always to old and and too slow....! But he is a baller...

Mike Florio is reporting that we signed him and are trading him to Cleveland.
I say its a 2 year deal around $13 Mill with 6.5 Guaranteed.
Originally posted by sspiker:

Florio will probably put some negative spin on it.
Originally posted by sspiker:

lol
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by regulator530:
Boldin is a must sing going into the 2014 season for a couple of reasons.

1. If the Niners want to win it all Boldin is a great leader to the team a classy veteran who can mentor Kap going forward
2. He is physical and with the Hawks CB we need a guy like him to get of the line in press coverage
3. Niners suffer on third down and red zone plays he makes a great third down option
4. Great route runner great hands and great attitude make him an essential part to Kaps growth

We had him this past season for three games against Seattle and could do next to nothing with him. I like Boldin, but we need to change our approach to force Seattle to adjust what they do defensively against us. If they had to keep two safeties deep for example to account for a speedy receiver on the outside, with Crabtree opposite, and Boldin in the slot, we can create some mismatches in the passing game and also create more space for our backs to run. Defenders would be fearful of crowding the line of scrimmage because they could potentially be giving up a big place.

What are you talking about, Boldin had close to 100 yards vs Seattle at home, that's where they were letting players play. Instead in Seattle, where they just let their CB's play.

8 for 93 at the stick, 5 for 53 and a td in the playoff game. he was only a non factor in that week 2 game. but thats the era we live in with fantasy football, if its not 11 catches for a 130 then ppl dont give a s**t, its pathetic really.

I wouldn't call the NFC championship game a good game by any stretch. Boldin was off. I do believe it was more him than anything Seattle was actually doing however. Also my statement was about what Seattle does against us defensively than Boldin's three games against them. I still want him back and probably want him longer than anyone on the board (I'd like a 3 year deal). Seattle does not feel being burned by our receivers. I think that with a better designed passing game as well as having a real deep threat at receiver (playing more 3 receiver sets), we should be able to do much better as a whole against the Legion of Boom. I think they are a top flight defense, but does anyone really believe they should be able to consistently limit our offense as a whole the way they have overall?
Share 49ersWebzone