There are 177 users in the forums

Anquan Boldin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
My guess 3, and it will be front loaded so we can walk away.

I think 3 is fair to Q, would make him 37. Certainly long in the tooth but it's not like his skillset is predicated on speed anyway.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by goldlame2013:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by regulator530:
Boldin is a must sing going into the 2014 season for a couple of reasons.

1. If the Niners want to win it all Boldin is a great leader to the team a classy veteran who can mentor Kap going forward
2. He is physical and with the Hawks CB we need a guy like him to get of the line in press coverage
3. Niners suffer on third down and red zone plays he makes a great third down option
4. Great route runner great hands and great attitude make him an essential part to Kaps growth

We had him this past season for three games against Seattle and could do next to nothing with him. I like Boldin, but we need to change our approach to force Seattle to adjust what they do defensively against us. If they had to keep two safeties deep for example to account for a speedy receiver on the outside, with Crabtree opposite, and Boldin in the slot, we can create some mismatches in the passing game and also create more space for our backs to run. Defenders would be fearful of crowding the line of scrimmage because they could potentially be giving up a big place.

What are you talking about, Boldin had close to 100 yards vs Seattle at home, that's where they were letting players play. Instead in Seattle, where they just let their CB's play.

The home advantage for the Seahawks is not going to change. Boldin has proven to be indispensable against lesser defenses. Against the Seahawks in Seattle, we need at least one WR starter with speed (yes, and all the other attributes required of a starter).

I agree that speed for the niners is badly needed, however, you need leadership like Boldin, he's the closest to Jerry Rice this team has had in a long time. If the Superbowl showed anything, there's only one beat to the Seahawks, you have to run the ball, and control the line of scrimmage, the niners have lost that fight over and over again. The Saints had all kinds of speed, meant nothing. You have to be physical, fast, tough, and smart to beat the Seahawks. In addition to that, the redzone offense totally sucks.

Every team that Boldin has left has struggled tremendously on offense the following season, not sure why people want the 49ers to be 3rd on that list. Boldin is a must retain, not just for his performance out on the field but for what he can teach younger receivers about hard work and dedication seeing as the coaching on the receivers side seems to be lacking.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Every team that Boldin has left has struggled tremendously on offense the following season, not sure why people want the 49ers to be 3rd on that list. Boldin is a must retain, not just for his performance out on the field but for what he can teach younger receivers about hard work and dedication seeing as the coaching on the receivers side seems to be lacking.

Just glad Baalke realizes how valuable Boldin is which is all that matters.
Pay the man
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

awesome but song does not match the action. he needs some badass music.

i agree and see your point, but kurt warner to derek anderson/max hall was probably the bigger reason than Q.
Looks like Maiocco was wrong.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/18/boldin-niners-havent-started-talking-yet/
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/18/boldin-niners-havent-started-talking-yet/

Maiocco>>>>>>>>>>PFT's random unnamed source.

PFT hasn't really been relevant for anything but regurgitating information found elsewhere since the NBC merger.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

PFT hasn't really been relevant for anything but regurgitating information found elsewhere since the NBC merger.

plus they're in such a rush to post said regurgitated crap that they misspell an average of 3-5 words per post too lol. I go to PFT for other teams news, that's it.

The Saints and the Broncos do not have the Niners' defense or their OL. The Colts' TY Hilton had five catches for 140 yards and two key touchdown receptions, including a career long 73 yard touchdown against Seattle. It was his best game, in fact. Lack of offensive speed is the one weakness of the Niners' offense.

saints or broncos D or OL has nothing to do with their offense and burners at WR. why are you bringing this up ? ty hilton may have a good game against the hags, but if you look at last 10 or so WRs to have 100+ yard games against them, youd find more Brandon Marshalls and Andre Johnson than burners.

and what the hell is the reason for bringing/drafting a speed guy if we're never throwing to him ?
ted ginn was on our team for last 2 years. how much did he get used ? the only significant deep throw I remember to him was on thanksgiving against the ravens, and that play got negated thanks to chilo (I think, or may have been Frankie on the chop block)
panthers used him this year, and it shows.

Manningham was used a ton as a deep threat on the Giants, almost to the point some thought he was one-trick pony. I dont know if we threw three passes deep to him over these two years he was on our squad.

we are already a conservative offense. if we re-sign Boldin (which we absolutely should), the hypothetical burner WR will be 4th or 5th receiving option on a run-first team. this staff hasnt shown it can develop or even scout a good young WR in years, and neither has the organization (since TO). I dont see this changing, frankly. not under Harbaugh/Roman, not with this OL and not with this philosophy.
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Feb 18, 2014 at 11:25 PM ]

maiocco wasn't the only one who reported it.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran

I thought the only real football team PFT covered was Notre Dame
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
The Saints and the Broncos do not have the Niners' defense or their OL. The Colts' TY Hilton had five catches for 140 yards and two key touchdown receptions, including a career long 73 yard touchdown against Seattle. It was his best game, in fact. Lack of offensive speed is the one weakness of the Niners' offense.

saints or broncos D or OL has nothing to do with their offense and burners at WR. why are you bringing this up ? ty hilton may have a good game against the hags, but if you look at last 10 or so WRs to have 100+ yard games against them, youd find more Brandon Marshalls and Andre Johnson than burners.

and what the hell is the reason for bringing/drafting a speed guy if we're never throwing to him ?
ted ginn was on our team for last 2 years. how much did he get used ? the only significant deep throw I remember to him was on thanksgiving against the ravens, and that play got negated thanks to chilo (I think, or may have been Frankie on the chop block)

Manningham was used a ton as a deep threat on the Giants, almost to the point some thought he was one-trick pony. I dont know if we threw three passes deep to him over these two years he was on our squad.

we are already a conservative offense. if we re-sign Boldin (which we absolutely should), the hypothetical burner WR will be 4th or 5th receiving option on a run-first team. this staff hasnt shown it can develop or even scout a good young WR in years, and neither has the organization (since TO). I dont see this changing, frankly. not under Harbaugh/Roman, not with this OL and not with this philosophy.

Spot on IMHO!
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

Spot on IMHO!

That post ended all discussion of getting a burner. Our offensive philosophy does not allow for burners, it needs possession people like Boldin and Crabs, and shifty catch and run people like Crabtree.

The only "burner" I think we may draft is going to be either Cooks, Beckham, Abbrederis (him more so for his routes), MAYBE Josh Huff (he'd need the most work though IMO) because they have the footwork and body control to excel from the slot or on short routes on the outside and create YAC.
Share 49ersWebzone