LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

Anquan Boldin

Shop 49ers game tickets
Boldin is especially effective on 3rd downs and in redzone. Both things 49ers lack. We 100% need to re-sign him. Of course if he wants an insane amount of $$ then there is nothing anyone can do about that, but i assume he wants to play for a winning team to take another crack at the Super Bowl.

Something i would like to see (wont happen) is using a bunch of late round picks on the same position (WR) and having a massive training camp battle. the winner will be better for it, and get serious playing time, and the loser(s) will be cut.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We do need speed BUT look what he did w/out elite speed.

Imagine if we had:

A). a speed guy on the field at the same time as Boldin & Crabs

B). a game plan that actually used them

This...had a 4.2 Ginn, Moss, Moore and probably a couple more "burners" but never used them despite a strong arm with CK. So I'm a little skeptical that a burner is what this staff wants let alone use.
Yeah, I don't know what the FO will do. They seem to like the possession type, good blocker WRs that support the power run offense.

My point is that the off-season should be to get a new starter with speed. I hope I don't have to state the obvious that he should not have only speed. He has to be a legitimate improvement in total over Boldin. That will be difficult, and might necessitate trading up in the first round this year. I'd love to have Boldin back, but as the #3 WR.

I'm skeptical that the FO sees the need for as I do, but Seattle is in the Niners' division so beating them must be, IMO, the offseason focus.

The argument that we are weak on 3rd down and the red zone with Boldin, so we should keep him suggests we can't get better without him.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Feb 10, 2014 at 5:38 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
It really bugs me when people say Michael Crabtree is just a possession receiver. At full health, he's actually not that easy to catch. He's a quick guy, not necessarily blazing fast but he's nowhere near the slowness of Anquan Boldin. I'm at an awe when I see Boldin make catch after catch out there because he literally looks like he's slower than Anthony Dixon playing WR....for yearrrs.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We do need speed BUT look what he did w/out elite speed.

Imagine if we had:

A). a speed guy on the field at the same time as Boldin & Crabs

B). a game plan that actually used them

This...had a 4.2 Ginn, Moss, Moore and probably a couple more "burners" but never used them despite a strong arm with CK. So I'm a little skeptical that a burner is what this staff wants let alone use.
Yeah, I don't know what the FO will do. They seem to like the possession type, good blocker WRs that support the power run offense.

My point is that the off-season should be to get a new starter with speed. I hope I don't have to state the obvious that he should not have only speed. He has to be a legitimate improvement in total over Boldin. That will be difficult, and might necessitate trading up in the first round this year. I'd love to have Boldin back, but as the #3 WR.

I'm skeptical that the FO sees the need for as I do, but Seattle is in the Niners' division so beating them must be, IMO, the offseason focus.

The argument that we are weak on 3rd down and the red zone with Boldin, so we should keep him

Amen!
Pay the MAN
Originally posted by Harbaalke:
Pay the MAN

NOW
Look like you may get your wish.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000325549/article/anquan-boldin-49ers-likely-to-get-new-contract-done
YES, good news
That's the same s**t that was said three weeks ago.
His resigning would ease a lot of my uneasiness. He's like piece of mind insurance.

Originally posted by regulator530:
Boldin is a must sing going into the 2014 season for a couple of reasons.

1. If the Niners want to win it all Boldin is a great leader to the team a classy veteran who can mentor Kap going forward
2. He is physical and with the Hawks CB we need a guy like him to get of the line in press coverage
3. Niners suffer on third down and red zone plays he makes a great third down option
4. Great route runner great hands and great attitude make him an essential part to Kaps growth

We had him this past season for three games against Seattle and could do next to nothing with him. I like Boldin, but we need to change our approach to force Seattle to adjust what they do defensively against us. If they had to keep two safeties deep for example to account for a speedy receiver on the outside, with Crabtree opposite, and Boldin in the slot, we can create some mismatches in the passing game and also create more space for our backs to run. Defenders would be fearful of crowding the line of scrimmage because they could potentially be giving up a big place.
Originally posted by SaksV:
It really bugs me when people say Michael Crabtree is just a possession receiver. At full health, he's actually not that easy to catch. He's a quick guy, not necessarily blazing fast but he's nowhere near the slowness of Anquan Boldin. I'm at an awe when I see Boldin make catch after catch out there because he literally looks like he's slower than Anthony Dixon playing WR....for yearrrs.

I agree with the first sentence. Michael Crabtree pretty much eats up most defensive backs in the league. We just need to utilize our personnel better to give us better matchups. With that said, our offense nearly pulled it off with a D- effort in Seattle in the NFCCG so despite all the doom and gloom predictions, we aren't that far off. I think my own frustration is that I look at Seattle and if we took advantage of what we had on the roster right now, I think we should beat those guys 7 games out of 10.
I'm looking for Patton to have a good second year. He should be open a lot with teams trying to cover Boldin and Crabtree. The question is how often will we use 3 WR's? He's pretty quick, too.
Originally posted by MachMan:
I'm looking for Patton to have a good second year. He should be open a lot with teams trying to cover Boldin and Crabtree. The question is how often will we use 3 WR's? He's pretty quick, too.

They have to use it more. That's why teams are always up and jumping routes b/c they so rarely use that when they do everybody knows what's coming. Run some pick plays like every other team in the league does to create some separation.
Sammy Watkins looks like another julio jones....special talent
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by regulator530:
Boldin is a must sing going into the 2014 season for a couple of reasons.

1. If the Niners want to win it all Boldin is a great leader to the team a classy veteran who can mentor Kap going forward
2. He is physical and with the Hawks CB we need a guy like him to get of the line in press coverage
3. Niners suffer on third down and red zone plays he makes a great third down option
4. Great route runner great hands and great attitude make him an essential part to Kaps growth

We had him this past season for three games against Seattle and could do next to nothing with him. I like Boldin, but we need to change our approach to force Seattle to adjust what they do defensively against us. If they had to keep two safeties deep for example to account for a speedy receiver on the outside, with Crabtree opposite, and Boldin in the slot, we can create some mismatches in the passing game and also create more space for our backs to run. Defenders would be fearful of crowding the line of scrimmage because they could potentially be giving up a big place.

What are you talking about, Boldin had close to 100 yards vs Seattle at home, that's where they were letting players play. Instead in Seattle, where they just let their CB's play.
Share 49ersWebzone