There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL considering more Thursday football

Originally posted by AB81Rules:
STUPID. So we have to buy to see this new potential TNF package? When I and others pay for a cable or satellite bill, plus NFLST. I mean NFLN which carries all Thursday night games, besides Opener, and Thanksgiving, is included in most packages.

F*CK google and netflix. This better not lead to the Ticket being online only. I will be pissed off at Goodell, who will go against fans and what is best for them. After all, we pay to see the games anyway, they make money off us.

Don't worry. It will be included in future welfare payments and tax payers will ensure everyone can afford it, no matter how much they work.
History repeats itself. Most fans were too young to remember when boxing was the #2 sport in the country back in the 50's. Pro Football was behind baseball, boxing, horse racing and college football in popularity and attendance. Boxing became saturated on television, and it never came back. The NFL can saturate the market with football 4 or 5 times a week with 16 and 18 game schedules, they will make a bundle of cash. However, with time the games will matter less and less, plus the increased injury concerns and parents not allowing their children to play because of health concerns, fan enthusiasm will decrease. The success of the NFL from the 60's onward was not over exposing the market. This is a classic case of more is less and less is more.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
History repeats itself. Most fans were too young to remember when boxing was the #2 sport in the country back in the 50's. Pro Football was behind baseball, boxing, horse racing and college football in popularity and attendance. Boxing became saturated on television, and it never came back. The NFL can saturate the market with football 4 or 5 times a week with 16 and 18 game schedules, they will make a bundle of cash. However, with time the games will matter less and less, plus the increased injury concerns and parents not allowing their children to play because of health concerns, fan enthusiasm will decrease. The success of the NFL from the 60's onward was not over exposing the market. This is a classic case of more is less and less is more.

It was more PPV that killed boxing. You stopped seeing big boxing matches on free TV and could only see them if you payed for them.
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM ]
I HATE THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!
This is ridiculous....seriously, this is how you kill the goose that laid the golden egg, all you're going to have is more watered down football, guys unable to recover in time, more injuries, more players on IR, all because the NFL isn't satisfied with merely being ridiculously profitable, they are trying to be beyond insanely profitable and to that end, they're going to bring the whole thing crashing down.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:
It was more PPV that killed boxing. You stopped seeing big boxing matches on free TV and could only see them if you payed for them.

In the 50's most fights were on TV. The trend to PPV started with the last few fights of Rocky Marciano.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

This. Less is more, if you only have games on Sunday's and Monday's, you really build up anticipation to see the games since they aren't on all the time, but the more they show games throughout the week, the more the anticipation lessens and pretty much it'll end up going the way of baseball and basketball where will people go "meh, there'll be another game on in 2-3 days, no biggie." They're destroying themselves in the long-term over the prospect of short-term gain.
Goodell doesn't care about players safety. He cares about not being sued and making money. Remember, he works for the owners....
Originally posted by Jcool:
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

A late summer meeting between @nflcommish and Google CEO Larry Page on August 20th may have been first step towards a partnership.

I lost all respect, well whatever I had of him now. He will do this, and sell the Sunday Ticket, EXCLUSIVE to Google, which will in turn make it online only. I dont give 2 s**ts if Online is the future, I want my ST on TV, not on my laptop. Rather watch on my 37 inch TV over a 16 inch Laptop. Plus Buffering sucks.

I would encourage sending displeasure to goodell's @!nflcommish, I have, not like he responds. But still if people say they will go against buying it for online only, he may have no choice but give it to all TV and Internet providers. Like it should be. MLB, NBA, NHL is, why cant NFL?

My fear is Google will overprice the ST, right now it's 249.00 for basic, and I think an extra 85 for Online/RedZone add on. I can imagine NFL and Google will want a higher price tag. What he(Goodell) needs to remember is, internet costs a lot for good service, so it isnt choppy as s**t. Plus a laptop or dektop, with at least 2.2GHz processor, at least 4 GB RAM, and a decent video card(Even my 900.00 laptop had problems with NFL Preseason Live, and I have a 2.7GHz processor, 6GB RAM, and 2 GB Dedicated video card inside my laptop, s**t was choppy as hell). They can cost between 450 and in the thousands.

Plus if you want to watch it via HDMI, while the cables aren't expensive, but what about if a person is still on a SDTV, thats anywhere from 250-4000 for a HDTV. If HD(Full 1080p) you will spend a good amount. This may not all go into Goodell and Google's pockets, but it takes from ours. And thats what Goodell wants. He makes millions off of fans, between Merchandise, tickets, NFL ST, he makes so much off of us. And he in return, doesn't give 2 s**ts about us as fans.

F*CK GOODELL. And I will not spend over 300 for online, if he thinks fans will spend the price for Max on DirecTV(which has everything, HD, 8 games, RZC, Online, etc...) for just Online, then he is f**king crazy.
[ Edited by AB81Rules on Oct 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM ]
More TNF and an 18 game schedule will mark the beginning of the end for the NFL as a high quality product.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
I HATE THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!

game quality tends to be lower, inferior product, wrong move IMO
RELAX GUYS!

I would bet the farm that we won't see online only NFL games anytime soon. There are several good reasons for this. For one, no online TV provider (Netflix, Hulu, Google, etc) has enough market share to bring in advertising dollars. Which means the NFL would need any deal with one of these providers to make up for those lost advertising dollars. Not going to happen.

An online provider like Netflix would certainly gain new customers by having an exclusive deal with the NFL. But probably not enough. Most consumers that don't already use online streaming video services would need to buy a set-top-box (Roku, Apple TV, etc), faster internet service, and possibly a newer TV in order to have the same football watching experience that they enjoy with typical Sunday/Monday games. That's too cost prohibitive.
Enough is enough .....please leave things the way they are , it's bad enough some teams are losing a home game because of the b******t games in london , and the idea of an 18 game season is a bit too much also .....Goodell will ruin the game for the fans AND the players if he keeps insisting on expanding the season and the playoff format ....leave things the f**k alone
I hate the idea. One game is bad enough. NFL should be a Sunday and Monday Night thing. Its getting too commercialized and I don't like that!
I agree with the previous poster...do a Tueday night football instead. That at least gives the players an extra day to rest.

Or only let teams have Thursday night football games coming out of their bye.