There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL considering more Thursday football

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

NFL considering selling another Thursday night package of games, per @MattFutterman. The constant search for more revenue sources..

Per report from @WSJ, potential buyer of new package could be an online provider such as Netflix or Google. That is a game-changer.
STUPID. So we have to buy to see this new potential TNF package? When I and others pay for a cable or satellite bill, plus NFLST. I mean NFLN which carries all Thursday night games, besides Opener, and Thanksgiving, is included in most packages.

F*CK google and netflix. This better not lead to the Ticket being online only. I will be pissed off at Goodell, who will go against fans and what is best for them. After all, we pay to see the games anyway, they make money off us.
But why stop there? Tuesdays Wednesdays and Fridays need football too.
I'd rather watch TUESDAY Night Football
I hate thursday night games. Its brutal on teams to play four days after a game.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
When would this other package of game be played? Same time as the current THF game? After? Why not just have Friday Night or Saturday night?
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
But why stop there? Tuesdays Wednesdays and Fridays need football too.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
It's HS football. NFL won't touch Friday or Saturday. RT @injuryexpert: And why Thursday? Why not Friday? Gotta be ratings.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt

A late summer meeting between @nflcommish and Google CEO Larry Page on August 20th may have been first step towards a partnership.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
STUPID. So we have to buy to see this new potential TNF package? When I and others pay for a cable or satellite bill, plus NFLST. I mean NFLN which carries all Thursday night games, besides Opener, and Thanksgiving, is included in most packages.

F*CK google and netflix. This better not lead to the Ticket being online only. I will be pissed off at Goodell, who will go against fans and what is best for them. After all, we pay to see the games anyway, they make money off us.

I understand the frustration and generally I'm against games outside of Sunday/Monday and all the other shenanigans the NFL pulls to dominate the market share in sports. BUT, from a business prospective and making your product available/more available this is a necessary move to grown the business. I would love to be able to stream a Thursday night game to my phone while I'm at work. There is tons of possibilities as far as what the NFL can do with it's product. Soon I'm sure we will have the ability to follow certain players through "exclusive" camera angles that focus on that specific players on your FF team.

I will admit that Roger needs to slow down... right now with Sunday afternoon, Sunday evening, Monday night and Thursday night it gives us a great balance of NFL, but not overkill. If he keeps going, I could see the NFL on 5/7 days... He will keep pulling these moves and players will have another reason to go in with a lawsuit of some sort. As a player I would despise Thursday games, 7 days is a bit too short for some of these guys to recover less known 4 days. Only time will tell tho...
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Kevin Seifert ‏@SeifertESPN

Thurs nite comp pct and QBR about 10 pts/pct. lower on Thurs nites.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nflnation&id=92941&tag=inside-slant
Goodell and his merry band of greedmeisters are destroying the league.
the f**king greed never ends
They must've heard Boldin talking about TNF and said "He's right, those games are dangerous... only way to make them safer is to have MORE of them!!"
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
The NFL reportedly is disappointed that the present approach, which expanded last year to cover most Thursdays, hasn't generated more interest. In addition to additional Thursday night games, some of the games currently televised by NFL Network could be sold to other networks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/15/report-league-considers-adding-more-thursday-games/
  • sfout
  • Veteran
They leaked this just to spite Quan

"But there are some things that just don't make sense to me," Boldin said. "I mean if you're so concerned about player safety then why do you have every team in the league playing on Thursday night when they just competed on a Sunday, knowing how difficult it is for guys to get back to being healthy after playing on Sunday? Guys really don't feel like they're back till probably Thursday or Friday to prepare for that next week."