LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

49ers In The Mix For Hakeem Nicks

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Could be had for a 3rd round pick.....

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24077085/team-preparing-bids-for-giants-wide-receiver-hakeen-nicks
Want!!!
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
YES PLEASE
So Nicks would be a rental at 1.4 for around a 3rd round pick then would want Wallace money 12 million per. 49ers can't pay that. Nicks has been fragile and looks somewhat tentative in games.

We need another stud outside in case Crabs does not return to form and Manningham is a slot receiver.

Nicks for a 3rd for half a season
or
Gordon for a 2nd.
I mentioned this in the trade thread in niner talk.

Updates for trades.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24077099/thirdround-pick-for-kenny-britt-teams-balking-at-titans-asking-price
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24077085/team-preparing-bids-for-giants-wide-receiver-hakeen-nicks

Like I said doubt we trade for anyone and if we did I'd take Gordon before Britt and Nicks because he is signed through 2014 and 2015. Biggest problem with these 2 guys is they are FA's after this year and Nicks will want a lot of money and Britt will want more than he's worth. Both would have to get signed to long term deals, tagged (can't afford) or would end up being 1/2 year rentals. Titans are apparently looking for a 3rd for Britt which no way I would pay for a half year rental with off the field problems and injuries. Not to mention he has 6 rec for 52 yards and 0 tds on the year. I'm sure we did our due diligence and asked what they wanted but I wouldn't give up more than a 7th for him. He's right around our remaining cap contract wise but still don't see it happening.

As for Nick's if we traded for him now we'd owe a little over 1.5 of his 2.7 mil so we'd have to work the cap around a bit or cut someone. According to La Confora we had internal discussions but didn't reach out to the Giants yet. I just don't see this happening either. The main reason is because he is a FA after this year and we don't have the money to re-sign him. He will want more than he's worth and Id rather keep Crabtree who is familiar with us. He's had some injuries too. Giants could be looking for a 3rd and then some. To me if we would trade for someone I'll take Gordon for a 2nd or 3rd (and extra) with a condition that we get something back if he gets suspended a year and still have him for 2014 and 2015 over Nicks for 1/2 a year. If we traded for him I don't think we could afford to tag him and if we re-signed him long term it would probably mean bye bye Crabtree and that wouldn't make sense. Again, just don't see this one happening either. Expect us to stick with what we have and wait for reinforcements.
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
So Nicks would be a rental at 1.4 for around a 3rd round pick then would want Wallace money 12 million per. 49ers can't pay that. Nicks has been fragile and looks somewhat tentative in games.

We need another stud outside in case Crabs does not return to form and Manningham is a slot receiver.

Nicks for a 3rd for half a season
or
Gordon for a 2nd.

Gordon? As I understand it, one more drug or alcohol mistake and he's gone for a year. Do you want the Niners to chance a 2nd for that? I don't. Hakeem Nicks is another Anquan Boldin. That may be a good thing, but I'm not really excited about it because we already have the best Boldin.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Gordon? As I understand it, one more drug or alcohol mistake and he's gone for a year. Do you want the Niners to chance a 2nd for that? I don't. Hakeem Nicks is another Anquan Boldin. That may be a good thing, but I'm not really excited about it because we already have the best Boldin.

Nicks > Boldin.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nicks would have to be a burner for me to give him $12M a year and he's not. Rather extend Crabtree and go with a draft pick on the other side.
Dudes hands are huge, like gigantic
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I mentioned this in the trade thread in niner talk.

Updates for trades.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24077099/thirdround-pick-for-kenny-britt-teams-balking-at-titans-asking-price
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24077085/team-preparing-bids-for-giants-wide-receiver-hakeen-nicks

Like I said doubt we trade for anyone and if we did I'd take Gordon before Britt and Nicks because he is signed through 2014 and 2015. Biggest problem with these 2 guys is they are FA's after this year and Nicks will want a lot of money and Britt will want more than he's worth. Both would have to get signed to long term deals, tagged (can't afford) or would end up being 1/2 year rentals. Titans are apparently looking for a 3rd for Britt which no way I would pay for a half year rental with off the field problems and injuries. Not to mention he has 6 rec for 52 yards and 0 tds on the year. I'm sure we did our due diligence and asked what they wanted but I wouldn't give up more than a 7th for him. He's right around our remaining cap contract wise but still don't see it happening.

As for Nick's if we traded for him now we'd owe a little over 1.5 of his 2.7 mil so we'd have to work the cap around a bit or cut someone. According to La Confora we had internal discussions but didn't reach out to the Giants yet. I just don't see this happening either. The main reason is because he is a FA after this year and we don't have the money to re-sign him. He will want more than he's worth and Id rather keep Crabtree who is familiar with us. He's had some injuries too. Giants could be looking for a 3rd and then some. To me if we would trade for someone I'll take Gordon for a 2nd or 3rd (and extra) with a condition that we get something back if he gets suspended a year and still have him for 2014 and 2015 over Nicks for 1/2 a year. If we traded for him I don't think we could afford to tag him and if we re-signed him long term it would probably mean bye bye Crabtree and that wouldn't make sense. Again, just don't see this one happening either. Expect us to stick with what we have and wait for reinforcements.

Agreed I having been considering this from the start of the Gordon trade talks this is a great way for the 49ers to make the trade for Gordon...just make the trade conditional that if he gets suspended again, which I think he won't do, we get something coming back our way. The Browns have to be reasonable here and agree to a conditional trade.

Gordon is a beast legit deep threat potential top 10 WR go for it!!!!!!

• jimrat
  • Veteran
WANT! DO IT BAALKE!
Browns prolly want a high 2nd...

To 49ers: Josh Gordon & conditional pick if he is suspended again within 2-3 years.

To Browns: LMJ and a 3rd or LMJ and a 2nd just to get the deal done 49ers are protected with the condition pick coming with Gordon and we won't miss LMJ and the pick for a SB run. WIN WIN!!!!!!

DO IT!!!!!!!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
(IF) it happens, eventually, we'll let go of a couple of receivers/PS just to be picked up by New England--then watch Brady/Patriots make them look like respectable/decent WRs
Would rather want Josh "Flash" Gordon.
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
Agreed I having been considering this from the start of the Gordon trade talks this is a great way for the 49ers to make the trade for Gordon...just make the trade conditional that if he gets suspended again, which I think he won't do, we get something coming back our way. The Browns have to be reasonable here and agree to a conditional trade.

Gordon is a beast legit deep threat potential top 10 WR go for it!!!!!!

The Browns said they weren't looking to trade Gordon but I think it's BS. They'd give him up in a heartbeat for the right deal. Trading for Gordon makes so much sense. If he didn't have all that baggage, the Browns could shop him for a 1st. He is a legit 1st round talent. He's only 22 and signed to a rookie contract through 2015 which would mean he would have very little impact on the cap. As you mentioned, he's a deep threat - he's exactly what Kap and the passing game needs right now. I'd be happy if we got Nicks for a 3rd but he'd be really expensive and I doubt we could keep him since he's a FA after this year. He'd be like an expensive rental. With Gordon, we're getting a BALLER that will be with us for cheap for at least the rest of this year and next. This trade makes so much sense for it not to happen (yet..).
[ Edited by NeonNiner on Oct 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone