LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 294 users in the forums

Another Tampa Bay player comes down with MRSA

Shop 49ers game tickets
Stay strong Goldy
I haven't read into this at all, so I'm not sure who's been affected. Hopefully, for the Bucs, this is happening on the offensive side of the ball since they spend so little time on the field as is.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
I haven't read into this at all, so I'm not sure who's been affected. Hopefully, for the Bucs, this is happening on the offensive side of the ball since they spend so little time on the field as is.

Johnathan Banks, the rookie CB from Mississippi State is who it is.
Originally posted by boast:
could be that the meat in their facility is MSRA tainted

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120120182427.htm

and Phoenix, way to fall for the anti Colloidal Silver propaganda campaign....it is a cheaper, safer and more effective antimicrobial than a lot of the more expensive solutions. read the congressional testimony. http://lifesilver.com/v1/testimony.htm

This ^ Colloidal Silver is what was used in society as an antibiotic way back before the 1950's before Big Pharma came along with their antibiotics. Soldiers in WW2 put silver dimes in their water canteens as a disinfectant. Actually found a silver dime rattling around in my dads canteen a D-Day veteran. Millions of responsible CS users all over the world for decades. Again, when using a quality CS at around 10PPM strength like Sovereign Silvers CS product as recommended within a safe dosage intake CS is a powerful antibiotic anti-viral anti-fungal immune system boosting health supplement. Big Pharma antibiotics do not work on viral infections like colds & flu's while CS does. And as mentioned there are many reviews on the net that CS is effective against MRSA. Best taken at 1st sign of onset of illness. CS also works great on skin conditions infections and burns ear and eye infections. You can even buy your own CS generator and make your own quality CS for a fraction of the cost of what it sells for in Health Food Stores. In my opinion silverpuppy.com has one of the best CS generators on the market.
[ Edited by 49ersMVP on Oct 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM ]
could be that the meat in their facility is MSRA tainted

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120120182427.htm

and Phoenix, way to fall for the anti Colloidal Silver propaganda campaign....it is a cheaper, safer and more effective antimicrobial than a lot of the more expensive solutions. read the congressional testimony. http://lifesilver.com/v1/testimony.htm

I'm sorry, my background is in microbiology, I operate on facts and actual science not snake oil nonsense. There's a reason that people got away from using colloidal silver a long time ago and now it only remains in the realms of quackery. Colloidal silver was very popular in the 20s and 30s but for some reason, when antibiotics came along, people said "hmmm, wow, these antibiotics work a heck of a lot better, I think I'll stick with these." In no way would I ever recommend someone to take something with so limited documented benefit.

There's about as many misleading claims about colloidal silver as there are for deer velvet extract. Silver has no place within the body, the body cannot have a deficiency of silver, topical Neosporin along with (more recently) topical Manuka honey have proven in studies to have more anti-bacterial fighting properties than colloidal silver. There is also no scientific data or support for taking silver internally, it's just one of those goofy fads that people follow to stick it to "Big Pharma." I'm about as open-minded as it gets when it comes to alternative therapies and medicine but but show me the detailed research to support these conclusions, the best I've been able to find is that silver has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties in vitro........in science there's a HUGE difference between in vitro and in vivo.

Silver is an antiseptic, but so is copper and many other compounds, they will destroy bacteria on an agar plate, but taken within the body, it becomes an entirely different story, plus you have issues with the associated side-effects that can emerge from consuming too much of either, kidney damage, liver damage, arthritis and other conditions are just a few that have been linked to high intake of both. Basically, I'm not on the colloidal silver bandwagon, I think there are far better options available to people, if you're someone who gets a truly bad case of MSRA, all the colloidal silver in the world isn't going to help you. Study after study, it's all in vitro data that hasn't yet extrapolated to in vitro.

With the NIH making it a priority to tackle MRSA issues, colloidal silver should be getting pushed like crazy if it was as effective as some say, but of course it goes back to "The Man keeping the truth down"

Realistically, the best bet for improved MRSA treatment is in honey right now. The studies I've been seeing are spectacular and have even indicated that Manuka honey can help to reverse antibiotic resistance, they've indicated a synergistic effect that allows even the use of methicillin to beat back MRSA. The upside, it tastes sweet, the downside? There really is none as long as you're not an infant.

http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/03/01/jac.dks071.full.pdf

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/04/15/honey-may-reverse-antibiotic-resistance-in-bacteria/

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0057679

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21903658

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23651562

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609166/

Its a completely safe alternative that has recently been shown to be highly effective against C. Diff, MRSA, VRSA, VRE and other tough, heavily antibiotic resistance bacterial strains. As far as I'm concerned, there's absolutely no reason to use colloidal silver when Manuka honey has been shown to have substantially higher levels of anti-microbial activity with no risk of side-effects or blue skin.

Alternatively, against C. Diff, which is also a pain in the ass, fecal transplants are another new therapy that has been found to be highly effective in the most severe cases.

As we move past the antibiotic era, you're seeing more and more research into non-specific immunity, basically working on ways to boost natural immune function to prevent infections from taking hold in the first place. There are a variety of supplements such as NAC that have been shown to be effective, in vitro and in vivo in terms of increasing immune system function, boosting glutathione levels and more.

(In before I receive like 50 links to random alternative health sites, Dr Mercola articles and other non-peer reviewed data).
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm sorry, my background is in microbiology, I operate on facts and actual science not snake oil nonsense. There's a reason that people got away from using colloidal silver a long time ago and now it only remains in the realms of quackery. Colloidal silver was very popular in the 20s and 30s but for some reason, when antibiotics came along, people said "hmmm, wow, these antibiotics work a heck of a lot better, I think I'll stick with these." In no way would I ever recommend someone to take something with so limited documented benefit.

There's about as many misleading claims about colloidal silver as there are for deer velvet extract. Silver has no place within the body, the body cannot have a deficiency of silver, topical Neosporin along with (more recently) topical Manuka honey have proven in studies to have more anti-bacterial fighting properties than colloidal silver. There is also no scientific data or support for taking silver internally, it's just one of those goofy fads that people follow to stick it to "Big Pharma." I'm about as open-minded as it gets when it comes to alternative therapies and medicine but but show me the detailed research to support these conclusions, the best I've been able to find is that silver has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties in vitro........in science there's a HUGE difference between in vitro and in vivo.

Silver is an antiseptic, but so is copper and many other compounds, they will destroy bacteria on an agar plate, but taken within the body, it becomes an entirely different story, plus you have issues with the associated side-effects that can emerge from consuming too much of either, kidney damage, liver damage, arthritis and other conditions are just a few that have been linked to high intake of both. Basically, I'm not on the colloidal silver bandwagon, I think there are far better options available to people, if you're someone who gets a truly bad case of MSRA, all the colloidal silver in the world isn't going to help you. Study after study, it's all in vitro data that hasn't yet extrapolated to in vitro.

With the NIH making it a priority to tackle MRSA issues, colloidal silver should be getting pushed like crazy if it was as effective as some say, but of course it goes back to "The Man keeping the truth down"

Realistically, the best bet for improved MRSA treatment is in honey right now. The studies I've been seeing are spectacular and have even indicated that Manuka honey can help to reverse antibiotic resistance, they've indicated a synergistic effect that allows even the use of methicillin to beat back MRSA. The upside, it tastes sweet, the downside? There really is none as long as you're not an infant.

http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2012/03/01/jac.dks071.full.pdf

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2011/04/15/honey-may-reverse-antibiotic-resistance-in-bacteria/

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0057679

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21903658

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23651562

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609166/

Its a completely safe alternative that has recently been shown to be highly effective against C. Diff, MRSA, VRSA, VRE and other tough, heavily antibiotic resistance bacterial strains. As far as I'm concerned, there's absolutely no reason to use colloidal silver when Manuka honey has been shown to have substantially higher levels of anti-microbial activity with no risk of side-effects or blue skin.

Alternatively, against C. Diff, which is also a pain in the ass, fecal transplants are another new therapy that has been found to be highly effective in the most severe cases.

As we move past the antibiotic era, you're seeing more and more research into non-specific immunity, basically working on ways to boost natural immune function to prevent infections from taking hold in the first place. There are a variety of supplements such as NAC that have been shown to be effective, in vitro and in vivo in terms of increasing immune system function, boosting glutathione levels and more.

(In before I receive like 50 links to random alternative health sites, Dr Mercola articles and other non-peer reviewed data).
I stopped reading after the 1st sentence.
Originally posted by 49ersMVP:
This ^ Colloidal Silver is what was used in society as an antibiotic way back before the 1950's before Big Pharma came along with their antibiotics.

Soldiers in WW2 put silver dimes in their water canteens as a disinfectant. Actually found a silver dime rattling around in my dads canteen a D-Day veteran. Millions of responsible CS users all over the world for decades. Again, when using a quality CS at around 10PPM strength like Sovereign Silvers CS product as recommended within a safe dosage intake CS is a powerful antibiotic anti-viral anti-fungal immune system boosting health supplement. Big Pharma antibiotics do not work on viral infections like colds & flu's while CS does. And as mentioned there are many reviews on the net that CS is effective against MRSA. Best taken at 1st sign of onset of illness. CS also works great on skin conditions infections and burns ear and eye infections. You can even buy your own CS generator and make your own quality CS for a fraction of the cost of what it sells for in Health Food Stores. In my opinion silverpuppy.com has one of the best CS generators on the market.

LOL. If colloidal silver worked as claimed, there would have never been any need or demand for antibiotics. Antibiotic use became prevalent not because of any vast conspiracy or because Alexander Fleming was a highly-placed member of the Illuminati, but because they worked, simply put, they worked better than anything else by a long shot. The rate of deaths from battlefield infections was reduced tremendously after the U.S. government started supplying troops on the frontlines with penicillin in WW2.

Simply put, the discovery of antibiotics was one of the greatest medical marvels of all time. Now that we're in an era of antibiotic resistance due to overuse(large scale agriculture especially) and abuse, new solutions are being discovered to keep our microbial foes at bay.

Tell you what, you stick to your quackery, I'll stick to my science and we'll just agree to disagree. I am amazed though, having worked in a hospital, how many of the "colloidal silver and apple cider vinegar" crowd become the loudest to scream for "Big Pharma and the AMA Mafia" to save their lives when the SHTF big-time. It's like atheists coming to the conclusion in their last moments that God really does exist.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 12, 2013 at 3:44 PM ]
I'm amazed at people who simply accept that the entire medical establishment is in it to bury effective treatments and to subject patients to risky, difficult procedures just because. Pharmaceutical companies are obviously in it to make money, their level of research into drugs is contingent upon the level of profit they can make from those drugs, hence why there has been so much invested into treating chronic diseases that will result in repeat customers. However, to claim that doctors are part of some widespread conspiracy is absolute nonsense. I know and have worked with some outstanding physicians that will do just about anything to help their patients, if feeding them rutabaga's would help treat their condition, they would feed them a wheelbarrow full of rutabaga's.

The reality is that there's many treatments that are hyped that simply don't work. If colloidal silver treated MRSA as well as Vancomycin which is largely toxic, nobody would be subjected to long treatment protocols lasting months and months, risking severe kidney damage, liver damage and more. The reality is that with a severe case of MRSA, truly severe, not just a few bumps or a rash on your skin which will clear up on its own, you're talking about a life and death situation and medical professionals are doing everything in their power to keep that person alive.

I saw a 2 year old child who came down with an awful case of MRSA that had been contracted from a family member, the little boy's kidneys nearly gave out during treatment and he was repeatedly on the brink of death as a result of the infection but I saw a team of doctors and nurses that were basically going to the wall to keep this child alive, throwing the kitchen sink at this highly stubborn infection. The reality is that doctors do the best they can, anecdotal reports from the internet don't change that, if a treatment is shown to be truly effective, then it will be utilized.

Take a look at the MediHoney wrappings and bandages being used now. Studies have demonstrated that MediHoney bandages are more effective and safer than dressings that use iodine, silver or alcohol, thus these newer dressings are being utilized more after surgeries in spite of the fact that they come from honey, not some crazy synthetic drug. If treatments truly work, medicine will use them, if they don't, they will be discarded. There's no conspiracy, it's just basic science.

If someone claims that Treatment A works, then Treatment A should be readily reproduced and effective in others. That is the basic standard and the only standard I follow. If you claim something works, show me hard scientific data on that treatment and how it has been reproduced to the same effect.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 12, 2013 at 4:10 PM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Stay strong Goldy

LOL, this. Think Goldson is going "WTF did I get into" right about now? Feel bad for the guy, he went from a Superbowl appearance to rock bottom.

• boast
  • Hella Fame

Tell you what, you stick to your quackery, I'll stick to my science and we'll just agree to disagree. I am amazed though, having worked in a hospital, how many of the "colloidal silver and apple cider vinegar" crowd become the loudest to scream for "Big Pharma and the AMA Mafia" to save their lives when the SHTF big-time. It's like atheists coming to the conclusion in their last moments that God really does exist.

you're gonna call someone a quack and then say that god stuff in the same paragraph about science? how f**king lame is that?
you're gonna call someone a quack and then say that god stuff in the same paragraph about science? how f**king lame is that?

Yeah, it was an analogy. It's amazing how people sometimes have a conversion of faith when their life circumstances change. Just as some atheists on their death bed decide they want to be religious all of a sudden, you have people who faced with a health crisis, decide that mainstream medicine can save them after all.

Back when I first got out of the Army I worked with a guy who was big into colloidal silver, taking ionic minerals, homeopathy....etc, however he ended up with a horrible case of Valley Fever and after he realized that his cupboard of snake oil wasn't doing jack squat for him, he went off running to the doctor, got a long treatment of anti-fungal drugs and got better after a few months.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM ]
they've indicated a synergistic effect that allows even the use of methicillin to beat back MRSA

Phoenix.....

you seem confused as that MRSA is specific to the antibiotic methicillin.

there are technically only 2 types of staph aureus, MRSA and methicillin sensitive staph aureus MSSA

MRSA is bacteria that does not respond to any of the antibiotic from the penicillin family (methicillen, amoxicillin etc)

MSSA indicates the bacteria that responds to ANY of the penicillin family ABs.

Methicillen isnt even prescribed anymore, i dont think it is even made at all.

this was my point in the FU post before
Originally posted by
blizzuntz:
they've indicated a synergistic effect that allows even the use of methicillin to beat back MRSA

Phoenix.....

Not confused at all, I think you misread what I wrote.

there are technically only 2 types of staph aureus, MRSA and methicillin sensitive staph aureus MSSA

Those are the main groupings but there is largely dozens of different strains of staph aureus. There's vancomycin resistant staph aureus(VRSA), there is hospital acquired staph aureus(HA-MRSA), community associated staph aureus(CA-MRSA), of which they possess different cassettes or genetic material. For example, community-associated MRSA is more likely to result in necrotizing fasciitis than hospital-based MRSA. In the 60s it was thought that MRSA infection occurred only in clinical settings but studies at the University of Chicago started a chain of events that turned that whole belief upside down on its head.

Methicillin is no longer made because other superior antibiotics were discovered, however, it's still utilized in studies, such as some of the Manuka honey studies, the point was if using honey in conjunction with Methicillin can defeat MRSA's resistance to the antibiotic, then that opens up a vast amount of doors for devising further treatments and making better use of the limited arsenal of remaining antibiotics for all sorts of bacterial diseases. Oxacillin is another that was utilized in these studies to great effect.

I think research like this is the wave of the future in treating diseases, utilizing helper products to restore or improve antibiotic effectiveness.

Medical-grade manuka honey (Medihoney), when used together with antibiotics, can both improve the effectiveness of the antibiotics and can prevent the emergence of resistance, according to new findings by UTS researchers. The findings suggest it could be a new weapon in the fight against drug-resistant bacteria such as the superbug MRSA (golden staph). New Zealand manuka honey is known to have potent broad-spectrum antibacterial activity and the researchers from the ithree institute at UTS have previously shown its value in the treatment of infected chronic wounds and serious skin infections. New research, published on Friday in the open-access science journal PLOS ONE, demonstrates the benefits of using Medihoney in combination with a well-known antibiotic, rifampicin, in the effective treatment of skin and chronic wound infections, according to Professor Liz Harry.

"The combination of medical grade antibacterial honey with the antibiotic, rifampicin, that is routinely used to prevent or treat chronic wound infections, is more effective at killing the bacteria methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) than each treatment alone. Our ground-breaking research shows that the combination of this medical grade honey with rifampicin is actually more than additive - it is synergistic," Professor Harry said.

http://www.newsroom.uts.edu.au/news/2013/03/bacteria-and-the-bees-antibiotics-work-better-with-honey

Professor Cooper's group is helping to solve this problem by investigating at a molecular level the ways in which manuka honey inhibits wound-infecting bacteria. "Our findings with streptococci and pseudomonads suggest that manuka honey can hamper the attachment of bacteria to tissues which is an essential step in the initiation of acute infections. Inhibiting attachment also blocks the formation of biofilms, which can protect bacteria from antibiotics and allow them to cause persistent infections," explained Professor Cooper. "Other work in our lab has shown that honey can make MRSA more sensitive to antibiotics such as oxacillin -- effectively reversing antibiotic resistance. This indicates that existing antibiotics may be more effective against drug-resistant infections if used in combination with manuka honey."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110412201713.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22382468

With the rise in prevalence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, honey is increasingly valued for its antibacterial activity. To characterize all bactericidal factors in a medical-grade honey, we used a novel approach of successive neutralization of individual honey bactericidal factors. All bacteria tested, including Bacillus subtilis, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, extended-spectrum β-lactamase producing Escherichia coli, ciprofloxacin-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium, were killed by 10–20% (v/v) honey, whereas ≥40% (v/v) of a honey-equivalent sugar solution was required for similar activity.

http://www.fasebj.org/content/24/7/2576.full
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Oct 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM ]
Originally posted by
blizzuntz:

Phoenix.....

Not confused at all, I think you misread what I wrote.

Those are the main groupings but there is largely dozens of different strains of staph aureus. There's vancomycin resistant staph aureus(VRSA), there is hospital acquired staph aureus(HA-MRSA), community associated staph aureus(CA-MRSA), of which they possess different cassettes or genetic material. For example, community-associated MRSA is more likely to result in necrotizing fasciitis than hospital-based MRSA. In the 60s it was thought that MRSA infection occurred only in clinical settings but studies at the University of Chicago started a chain of events that turned that whole belief upside down on its head.

Methicillin is no longer made because other superior antibiotics were discovered, however, it's still utilized in studies, such as some of the Manuka honey studies, the point was if using honey in conjunction with Methicillin can defeat MRSA's resistance to the antibiotic, then that opens up a vast amount of doors for devising further treatments and making better use of the limited arsenal of remaining antibiotics. Oxacillin is another that was utilized in these studies to great effect.

I think research like this is the wave of the future in treating diseases, utilizing helper products to restore or improve antibiotic effectiveness.

Medical-grade manuka honey (Medihoney), when used together with antibiotics, can both improve the effectiveness of the antibiotics and can prevent the emergence of resistance, according to new findings by UTS researchers. The findings suggest it could be a new weapon in the fight against drug-resistant bacteria such as the superbug MRSA (golden staph). New Zealand manuka honey is known to have potent broad-spectrum antibacterial activity and the researchers from the ithree institute at UTS have previously shown its value in the treatment of infected chronic wounds and serious skin infections. New research, published on Friday in the open-access science journal PLOS ONE, demonstrates the benefits of using Medihoney in combination with a well-known antibiotic, rifampicin, in the effective treatment of skin and chronic wound infections, according to Professor Liz Harry.

"The combination of medical grade antibacterial honey with the antibiotic, rifampicin, that is routinely used to prevent or treat chronic wound infections, is more effective at killing the bacteria methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) than each treatment alone. Our ground-breaking research shows that the combination of this medical grade honey with rifampicin is actually more than additive - it is synergistic," Professor Harry said.

http://www.newsroom.uts.edu.au/news/2013/03/bacteria-and-the-bees-antibiotics-work-better-with-honey

Yes I know all about staph. I've literally admitted ER patients with cellulitis and went on rounds and placed I & Ds in the OR. That is why I was explaining to you how over prescription and incorrect usage of ABs can "create" MRSA.

Methicillin in the name MRSA is misleading, it groups all staph a. That is resistant to the penicillin family and one other family of ABs

Vancomycin is what we used via IV at out hospital. I never ran into a vancomycin resistant strain, but I heard about them.
Share 49ersWebzone