There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

PBS "Frontline: League of Denial (The NFL's Concussion Crisis)

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Do they still use water helmets or is that showing my age? I remember this guy on my team had the hugest head imaginable. Almost every other player on the team could put his helmet on and spin it around on our heads. That helmet must have weighed 30 pounds.
We must be about the same age? I am 52. Don't know why, but I think the "water helmet" lived a very short life, you can't even find anything on the internet about it (quick search). We got them in High School (1974-1978) I believe that is when they came out. We had a rich kid on our team whose dad bought the team a lot of equipment in exchange for him being quarterback (he sucked, thank god for our running game). So unlike most High School kids using old crappy equipment we had the latest and greatest. Didn't see a water helmet in college or anytime I asked about equipment to anyone playing football in later years the words "water helmet" got a WTF look. As for the NFL their denial and then subsequent questioning that football can cause brain injuries is just down right pathetic. I believe to most people this is common sense. How many people don't know that many boxers suffer later in life from repeated blows to the head? A game of football doesn't produce as many head strikes, but the collisions could even be more forceful than a Mike Tyson right cross. It is known that some people tolerate repeated head blows better than others but there is no current test for it. Better helmets could help but nothing can completely eliminate the risk.
Just get rid of the helmets and the pads...yeah, it really is that easy.
Originally posted by kray28:
Just get rid of the helmets and the pads...yeah, it really is that easy.

Well, you would have to get rid of the lawyers first otherwise it really is not that easy.
on one hand the NFL is extremely slimy like every big business. on the other hand, as the video questions, when did these concussions start? they did the autopsy on that highschool kid and his brain was riddled with CTE... never having played a down in the NFL obviously.

but that the NFL wont outright admit that there is an issue is ridiculous
Originally posted by frenchmov:
on one hand the NFL is extremely slimy like every big business. on the other hand, as the video questions, when did these concussions start? they did the autopsy on that highschool kid and his brain was riddled with CTE... never having played a down in the NFL obviously.

but that the NFL wont outright admit that there is an issue is ridiculous

On the high school kid.

The NFL with it's financial power are the most capable body for studying the effect of concussions on the brain. Players are funneled to the NFL from college. From college to high school. You can't expect high schools to have the resources to study concussions. One could make the argument that NFL are responsible for the safety of the players on every level.
man f**k this s**t its b******t propaganda like this thats making the NFL more and more pussified.
Originally posted by susweel:
man f**k this s**t its b******t propaganda like this thats making the NFL more and more pussified.

A 21 yr old kid had protein clogging up in his brain.

That doesn't happen till at least 60.

I love football. I think it's the greatest sport on earth, but it's not that great.

I'm not condeming the NFL. They're protecting the business. A business that employs millions of people.

They need to get on the up and up though. They should've been on it since the mid-90's, but denial was cheaper.

This is probably not a popular opinion, but the documentary put Goodells "over-regulation" into perspective.
[ Edited by eonblue on Oct 9, 2013 at 10:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
I watched this show last night. Basically it shows that the NFL is concerned 100% about PROFITS and not about the actual players. Guys get injured and new stars emerge every year.

It really put the 765Million concussion settlement into perspective. 1. The settlement states the NFL does not admit to anything regarding football and head injuries. 2. ESPN alone pays the NFL 2 billion a year for tv and media deals. 3. 765milion is peanuts to the NFL.

Seeing the college and high school kids taking their lives after suffering head trauma from football is really sad. We will see if documentaries like this and books like "League of Denial" will prevent parents from putting their kids in football.

Bingo
THIS IS A MUCH WATCH. People please do so...NFL is a non profit where they pay no taxes thus the pockets of owners, Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell keep getting fatter on the heads and souls of players. this is such a blatant deception put on by the NFL. Fcuk you Roger Goodell. So many family lives of these retired players ended up destroyed by this. I pray that they rest comfortably and utmost peacefully. he kept the wife of Ralph Wenzel to speak by keeping this lady out of the meeting himself. fcuk you P. Tagliabue and R. Goodell. felt so bad for Troy Aikman. as much as i hate/hated the cow-dungs but i really felt so bad for Troy. that Steve Young concussion was brutal. that was Paul Tagliabue's era where QB's were not off limits. Roger Goodell knows QB's a cash cows so he has to protect his pockets in that sense also. I would love to PAY and watch RG suffer up until he can no longer fight Death. I pray that you die a slow agonizing death. May ALMIGHTY throw you directly into HELL where all the money mongers like all the PRESIDENTS are waiting

All hail Dr. Bennett Omalu, Dr. Ann McKee and other Doctors on this case. I will deter my son from playing football. rather him play basketball where the contracts are guaranteed unlike NFL where guaranteed cash is only for NFL, the commissioner, and the owners.

ALL HAIL CA (D) REP LINDA SANCHEZ. you deserve so much praise lady. "The NFL sort reminds me of the tobacco companies pre '90's when they kept saying oh there's no link between smoking and damage to your health or ill health effects".... you're the woman. thanks for making that analogy Miss.

I recall back in the "NFL Draft Day Moving" thread I called Roger Goodell, to be frank a Hebrew National. i was questioned by some what i meant by that statement. I replied "money". caught a 25% warning.

but in all honesty I was being nice and i still stand by that statement.
[ Edited by Negrodamus on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM ]
Double Post....
[ Edited by Negrodamus on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM ]
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
THIS IS A MUCH WATCH. People please do so...NFL is a non profit where they pay no taxes thus the pockets of owners, Paul Tagliabue and Roger Goodell keep getting fatter on the heads and souls of players. this is such a blatant deception put on by the NFL. Fcuk you Roger Goodell. So many family lives of these retired players ended up destroyed by this. I pray that they rest comfortably and utmost peacefully. he kept the wife of Ralph Wenzel to speak by keeping this lady out of the meeting himself. fcuk you P. Tagliabue and R. Goodell. felt so bad for Troy Aikman. as much as i hate/hated the cow-dungs but i really felt so bad for Troy. that Steve Young concussion was brutal. that was Paul Tagliabue's era where QB's were not off limits. Roger Goodell knows QB's a cash cows so he has to protect his pockets in that sense also. I would love to PAY and watch RG suffer up until he can no longer fight Death. I pray that you die a slow agonizing death. May ALMIGHTY throw you directly into HELL where all the money mongers like all the PRESIDENTS are waiting

All hail Dr. Bennett Omalu, Dr. Ann McKee and other Doctors on this case. I will deter my son from playing football. rather him play basketball where the contracts are guaranteed unlike NFL where guaranteed cash is only for NFL, the commissioner, and the owners.

ALL HAIL CA (D) REP LINDA SANCHEZ. you deserve so much praise lady. "The NFL sort reminds me of the tobacco companies pre '90's when they kept saying oh there's no link between smoking and damage to your health or ill health effects".... you're the woman. thanks for making that analogy Miss.

I recall back in the "NFL Draft Day Moving" thread I called Roger Goodell, to be frank a Hebrew National. i was questioned by some what i meant by that statement. I replied "money". caught a 25% warning.

but in all honesty I was being nice and i still stand by that statement.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Hamza Abdullah ‏@HamzaAbdullah21

December 9th 2007 against KC I knocked myself out, and they said I got poked in the eye! f**k you NFL pic.twitter.com/Hh8gRRLgdV

f**k you NFL and NFLPA for sitting back and watching all this s**t happen. Save the f**king players.

Every player should get a Psych eval and full physical exam upon leaving the game.

Every player should go see a psychiatrist once a week upon leaving the game.

And the NFL should pay for all this. I shouldn't have to pay $120 a week to save my f**king life. You should! Our insurance should

I love my family, and I love my wife and I love my kids, and I love my friends. I thank Allah for sending me you guys.

If it weren't for you guys, these f**king cowards would have won.

But I don't fear them. I fear ALLAH! Assalamu Alaikuum wa rahmatullahi wa barrakahtul
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Troy Aikman ‏@TroyAikman

Vacationing w daughters in Mexico, began the book "League of Denial"...just read chapter of my concussion in '93...not totally accurate
Originally posted by Gore_21:
There is an 8 minute video here with a clip from it I believe. Half way down the page.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sports/league-of-denial/the-autopsy-that-changed-football/

Yeah on top of these new rules I think it's time for Nike, Ridell, Bike and whoever else is making helmets to work harder on creating better helmets. Nike seems to be too worried about prettying up the helmets and uniforms instead of working harder on making the helmets better protect from concussions. The last 10-20 years Reebok and the other companies that worked with the NFL haven't really done much for player safety. Reebok never did much of anything. Start working on making pads and helmets better and stop worrying about making stuff shiny and pretty. I know there has been a little bit of progress but just not enough.

I don't think it's possible to avoid concussions though. You can get hit in the chest and still suffer a concussion. How will a helmet minimize the damage one would take on a hit to the torso? Helmet can't prevent the brain from rattling around.