LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

NFL officiating is a joke

Shop 49ers game tickets
You can't even blame the refs too much. They have so much stuff to remember and new rules that are really ambiguous. The officiating IS A JOKE, but it falls on the the league. It's kinda scary when I heard someone say that the NFL is destined to be flag football and I actually took them seriously..
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by hofer36:
Cary Williams pushed an official during the Super Bowl.

No flag. No ejection.

Someone explain that one to me, because I'm still at a loss.

then when the ravens are making their last punt and each of their players is directed to hold the niners, not one flag for holding

It's possible to say "they missed that." Far fetched, but possible.

When a player PUSHES A REFEREE WITH TWO HANDS, and the REFEREE IGNORES IT...

...explain that. Please.

Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Anyone who thinks these games aren't manipulated by the NFL are only kidding themselves. Selective enforcement depending on the team and the time of the game. In the Super Bowl Baltimore the last 2 minutes had a helmet to the head,illegal contact/interference and 8 men held on a punt and not one flag was thrown. We're only in September and I can already tell you it will be Denver and Seattle in the Super Bowl because it's what the NFL wants. It will be built up as offense vs defense.

You really have to wonder sometimes... Despite what Goodell wants, however, these two NFL darlings will fall short. You are right about one thing, though... The NFL does manipulate officiating... By adding ticky-tack, grey area penalties every year, they've placed too much power in the hands of the officials, and it needs to stop!
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:

No flag. No ejection.

then when the ravens are making their last punt and each of their players is directed to hold the niners, not one flag for holding

...explain that. Please.

The most obvious "no call" was on the punt at the end of the game. I counted no less then five players holding/tackling n front of officials. They should have called a holding penalty, which would have pushed the kicker back 10 more yards. Maybe it wouldn't had made a difference, but they decided no. That's right, the refs saw it and they said NO, we want to go home. To make it worse, I see refs calling holding for the same thing they refused to call on Crabs and when the head officiating Homer comes on, he too says, yes, that's holding. So what is it then?
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Anyone who thinks these games aren't manipulated by the NFL are only kidding themselves. Selective enforcement depending on the team and the time of the game. In the Super Bowl Baltimore the last 2 minutes had a helmet to the head,illegal contact/interference and 8 men held on a punt and not one flag was thrown. We're only in September and I can already tell you it will be Denver and Seattle in the Super Bowl because it's what the NFL wants. It will be built up as offense vs defense.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
I'm sure more than a few people noticed that Schaub was hit in the head at least twice today by Seattle pass rushers and it was never called. Once they knocked his helmet off and they didn't call it. Pretty amazing.

And, as far as your comment on the Super Bowl is concerned, that helmet to helmet contact on Crabtree was the biggest crime in my opinion - far more obvious than the non-call on the holding in the end zone. That's not even a judgment call and it happened right in front of a ref. That's first and goal from the 2 in every game I saw that season. The Niners got completely screwed and I don't care how many times people tell me that's part of the game or call me a "whiner", I'm still going to be bitter about it because that was just lousy officiating.

Yup you guys are absolutely right. It does look like they are setting up a Superbowl between Denver and Seattle. No one is denying that Seattle isn't a good team, but they get away with a hell of a lot and wouldn't be nearly as good if this wasn't the case. Their secondary plays completely illegally with holding, illegal contact down the field, and pass interference nearly every play and it is never called. Meanwhile, our dbs get flagged for the smallest infractions. If we touch a wide receiver it's pass interference. You're blind or don't understand the rules if you think the officiating is the same for Seattle vs. other teams.
Originally posted by vermonator:

No flag. No ejection.

...explain that. Please.

The most obvious "no call" was on the punt at the end of the game. I counted no less then five players holding/tackling n front of officials. They should have called a holding penalty, which would have pushed the kicker back 10 more yards. Maybe it wouldn't had made a difference, but they decided no. That's right, the refs saw it and they said NO, we want to go home. To make it worse, I see refs calling holding for the same thing they refused to call on Crabs and when the head officiating Homer comes on, he too says, yes, that's holding. So what is it then?

LOL hey guys and who remembers our game against San Diego a couple of years ago when that s**t head ref was driving his arm into Justin Smiths chest. Justin Smith merely swiped his arm away and didn't even realize he was an official. Then the s**thead ref ejects Smith from the game. Now how in the blue f**k does Justin Smith get ejected for that, while Cary Williams can bench press a referee five yards back right in front of his f**kin face.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
LOL hey guys and who remembers our game against San Diego a couple of years ago when that s**t head ref was driving his arm into Justin Smiths chest. Justin Smith merely swiped his arm away and didn't even realize he was an official. Then the s**thead ref ejects Smith from the game. Now how in the blue f**k does Justin Smith get ejected for that, while Cary Williams can bench press a referee five yards back right in front of his f**kin face.

That is posted in this thread as well homey.
You guys have it all figured out. I knew it was a fluke for a team like the Niner's to make it to the Superbowl last year. I knew the NFL was fixing it so you guys would make it to the game and not on your own work and effort. I felt like you guys were a really good team last year but it was just the NFL pulling the wool over our eyes so that you would make it to the dance. I mean look at your team now? How could that team of been in the Superbowl?I mean I know you have injuries and such but that is no reason for the NFL not to grace us all with another Niner's Superbowl how dare they do this to you guys. I would like to petition the NFL to get rid of the bias. We know that is the only reason the Niner's are having issues. I mean it is not hard to tell it is the Niners vs 31 teams and the NFL brass. Man hopefully things will change so the Niners can go back to winning it every year with the hard work only they put into a season. I mean it is obvious Niner's are WAY ahead of everyone, just the man keeping them down.

2-2 We get NFL Conspiracy
3-1 We would of had "Seahawks was a fluke game"
4-0 And you guys would be acting like all is going to plan.

With that said Go Texans
We will have our hands full this weekend, that is unless the refs and the NFL have already decided to let one of us win. In that case we will have to wait and see who they picked! Because we all know the winner was chosen already and clearly will not have EARNED the W.

/sarcasm off

**Edit Add** I am a Seahawks fan just thought this would seem better putting it in perspective by using Texans.

Looking forward to the Playoffs Still got the Hawks and Niners making it
[ Edited by Brahn on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM ]
Originally posted by Brahn:
You guys have it all figured out. I knew it was a fluke for a team like the Niner's to make it to the Superbowl last year. I knew the NFL was fixing it so you guys would make it to the game and not on your own work and effort. I felt like you guys were a really good team last year but it was just the NFL pulling the wool over our eyes so that you would make it to the dance. I mean look at your team now? How could that team of been in the Superbowl?I mean I know you have injuries and such but that is no reason for the NFL not to grace us all with another Niner's Superbowl how dare they do this to you guys. I would like to petition the NFL to get rid of the bias. We know that is the only reason the Niner's are having issues. I mean it is not hard to tell it is the Niners vs 31 teams and the NFL brass. Man hopefully things will change so the Niners can go back to winning it every year with the hard work only they put into a season. I mean it is obvious Niner's are WAY ahead of everyone, just the man keeping them down.

With that said Go Texans
We will have our hands full this weekend, that is unless the refs and the NFL have already decided to let one of us win. In that case we will have to wait and see who they picked! Because we all know the winner was chosen already and clearly will not have EARNED the W.

/sarcasm off

**Edit Add** I am a Seahawks fan just thought this would seem better putting it in perspective by using Texans.

Congrats on living up to my expectations of your fan base with a sarcastic and obnoxious first post... am sure you will be sticking around for a very long time.

With that said Go Texans

/sarcasm off

I don't think the games are fixed, but man some of the calls are suspect. How can you push a referee in the Super Bowl and not even get flagged for it.

You're literally PUSHING THE MAN RESPONSIBLE FOR HANDING OUT THE PENALTIES. And the guys just ignores it? Baffling.

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Congrats on living up to my expectations of your fan base with a sarcastic and obnoxious first post... am sure you will be sticking around for a very long time.

HAHA Thanks!

Let me know what part of it was not already said or implied in the current forum post?

Sorry If I just stated it in a different way!
I don't think the games are fixed, but man some of the calls are suspect. How can you push a referee in the Super Bowl and not even get flagged for it.

You're literally PUSHING THE MAN RESPONSIBLE FOR HANDING OUT THE PENALTIES. And the guys just ignores it? Baffling.

Human error happens. A ref makes a bad call is the same as a player dropping the ball. They should make the catch or call but things happen and the end result is not correct. Like I said above, if the Niners were 4-0 the talk about refs here would be far less I assume. I think when a fan base and team are losing games they feel they should be in, it is easy to look for reason other than your team possible just having a bad game, and not being in a position to overcome the calls.

While I can agree they seem timely at times, I think that is just the magnification of the moment.
[ Edited by Brahn on Sep 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
Your thread is a pathetic joke. If the NFL was trying to manipulate games they definitely would not want the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl, they don't have a storied history, much of a bandwagon following, or fans that don't have a connection to the state of Washington. San Francisco., Dallas, Green Bay, or Chicago would pull in much higher ratings.

Welcome to the new NFL where every team gets a chance to win it all. You can kind of see the writing on the wall for the narrative this year. Seattle will go the Superbowl to face Peyton and the Donks, and it will be engineered allow Peyton to get one last championship.
I don't put this on the the officials. I put this on the NFL front office. Ever since they decided it wanted a certain result (i.e. more offense), with meant that it had to play with the rules - the integrity of the game - to get this result, the officiating hasn't been the same. The league decided to give offenses clear competitive advantages over the defense by instituting rules to basically handcuff defenses, all conspicuously under the guise of "safety".

It isn't the officiating that's the joke, it's the leagues end-game of the rules that are.

Human error happens. A ref makes a bad call is the same as a player dropping the ball. They should make the catch or call but things happen and the end result is not correct. Like I said above, if the Niners were 4-0 the talk about refs here would be far less I assume. I think when a fan base and team are losing games they feel they should be in, it is easy to look for reason other than your team possible just having a bad game, and not being in a position to overcome the calls.

While I can agree they seem timely at times, I think that is just the magnification of the moment.

I'm not talking about our current record. The Colts whooped us because we didn't run the ball in the second half.

Dude pushed a referee in the Super Bowl. DUDE. PUSHED. A. REF.
Share 49ersWebzone