There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

NFL officiating is a joke

Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
You should post footage of J Smith getting ejected for breathing on a ref.

You asked for it...


I was actually at this game, about 20 rows off the field, and had no idea what was going on (the jumbotron in SD is terrible).

I wonder if that ref with lil man syndrome was a part of Goodells hand picked Super Bowl crew.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
I wonder if that ref with lil man syndrome was a part of Goodells hand picked Super Bowl crew.

Same guy seen here.

Shaun Hill sighting!
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Sep 30, 2013 at 12:35 AM ]
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Cary Williams pushed an official during the Super Bowl.

No flag. No ejection.

Someone explain that one to me, because I'm still at a loss.

Yeah, I was shocked when he wasn't ejected. I remember when Justin Smith got ejected for pushing an official that he barely saw. That affected the outcome of the game.
[ Edited by Psinex on Sep 30, 2013 at 3:58 AM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,813
Your thread is a pathetic joke. If the NFL was trying to manipulate games they definitely would not want the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl, they don't have a storied history, much of a bandwagon following, or fans that don't have a connection to the state of Washington. San Francisco., Dallas, Green Bay, or Chicago would pull in much higher ratings.
Originally posted by BobS:
Your thread is a pathetic joke. If the NFL was trying to manipulate games they definitely would not want the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl, they don't have a storied history, much of a bandwagon following, or fans that don't have a connection to the state of Washington. San Francisco., Dallas, Green Bay, or Chicago would pull in much higher ratings.

I'm not down with this conspiracy, but Nike money, and Vegas odds makers are two good reasons to let Seattle win one, last year was the Ray Lewis retirement bowl....just adding some gasoline to this dumpster fire of a thread, enjoy!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,813
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I've always felt that in big games the refs are instructed to keep the games close. In the end the most important thing is the advertisers and television ratings. This is the real game. They've rigged the game so the teams that excel are disbanded. Ex-commissioner Pete Rozelle had a dream that every team finishes 8-8 and playoff slots aren't determined until he last week of the season. The NFL cares so much about the players, however, their greed wants more games. The game plan of the owners follow the same guidelines as Big Business.

That makes no sense. Refs make $170k a year on the top of the pay scale, if a ref was instructed to manipulate a game he would sing like a canary, sell his story to the Enquirer, sign a book deal and sue the NFL. He and the few people that backed his story up would be instant multi-millionaires.
I wont go so far as to call it rigged, but "star bias" has clearly gotten worse over the last few years. See Tom Brady throwing a fit last year and spiking the ball at a ref, the way Seattles corners are allowed to "cover", or even the strange pseudo change to protecting a QB if he exibits the wrong posture. Combine that with rules that are judgement calls like hitting a receiver that are flatly being called wrong because the ref isnt in a position to see where contact is even made and the zebras are definitley affecting the outcomes of games more than the were just a few years ago. Again, I dont think its a conspiracy on the level of game rigging, but I do think the NFL is sort of OK with how its going because it gives the illusion they care about player safety and it tends to help their golden children make it to post season where they can sell the story the want to tell.
Originally posted by BobS:
Your thread is a pathetic joke. If the NFL was trying to manipulate games they definitely would not want the Seattle Seahawks in the Super Bowl, they don't have a storied history, much of a bandwagon following, or fans that don't have a connection to the state of Washington. San Francisco., Dallas, Green Bay, or Chicago would pull in much higher ratings.


Seattle has a very rich owner. They have a culture of cheating already. I would not put it past them to make a back room deal that included a substantial amount of money. Who knows what goes on in these mega rich circles. Maybe they have a rock paper scissors tournament for the superbowl title. With the amount of leverage these people have anything is possible. unlikely but possible!
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
I wont go so far as to call it rigged, but "star bias" has clearly gotten worse over the last few years. See Tom Brady throwing a fit last year and spiking the ball at a ref, the way Seattles corners are allowed to "cover", or even the strange pseudo change to protecting a QB if he exibits the wrong posture. Combine that with rules that are judgement calls like hitting a receiver that are flatly being called wrong because the ref isnt in a position to see where contact is even made and the zebras are definitley affecting the outcomes of games more than the were just a few years ago. Again, I dont think its a conspiracy on the level of game rigging, but I do think the NFL is sort of OK with how its going because it gives the illusion they care about player safety and it tends to help their golden children make it to post season where they can sell the story the want to tell.

Bravo. Bravo.

A very real and conceivable conclusion that I think is right on. Doing it the way you explained leaves the NFLs hands blood free and allows them to get what they truly want which is the biggest players playing on the biggest stage namely, the post season and Super Bowl. Good post.
Another thought, if it is rigged, then our march to the superbowl, and loss was all planned, and that taints all of our regular season, and play off wins, I don't like this line of thinking, I prefer to think we won all those games last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjoMk9f8BtE I'm starting to believe this
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Anyone who thinks these games aren't manipulated by the NFL are only kidding themselves. Selective enforcement depending on the team and the time of the game. In the Super Bowl Baltimore the last 2 minutes had a helmet to the head,illegal contact/interference and 8 men held on a punt and not one flag was thrown. We're only in September and I can already tell you it will be Denver and Seattle in the Super Bowl because it's what the NFL wants. It will be built up as offense vs defense.
What a stupid post.

So, by that logic, I guess the 49ers were only in the Super Bowl last year because the refs aided them there. Yeah, the Ravens won, but the officials still wanted a Ravens-49ers Super Bowl, so that's the only reason they made it there in the first place.
Seahawks are getting away with murder. Its just the Hawks year and Goodell is making sure of it
The NFL is not trying to manipulate the outcome of games. In fact, the fear of making calls that have too big of an impact on the outcome of a game is part of the problem.

Refs have to walk a fine line. They are highly criticized for not making calls, calling borderline plays, and making calls that impact the outcome of the game. Add in player safety, sportsmanship, and new rules and you have a recipe for s**tty officiating.
It's a fix. Almost like the WWE! My dad always said it was favored, and thought it was dumbest s**t I've heard, but now it makes me think, that this s**t is rigged to a certain degree.