There are 177 users in the forums

ESPN Says Aaron Rodgers is Not Clutch Due to 5-24 Record When Trailing in 4th

Shop 49ers game tickets
"Of course, some of the 26 losses speak well for him. He has put Green Bay ahead seven times in the fourth quarter when trailing, only for the team to go on to lose the game. The defense is certainly deserving of blame for this.

Green Bay has allowed 20 game-winning drives since 2008, which is third-most in the league over that span. Last season, there was the Hail Mary to Seattle's Golden Tate on that game's final play. In Week 1 this year, Aaron Rodgers led the Packers to a 28-24 lead, only to watch Colin Kaepernick and the Niners score the game's last 10 points for a San Francisco win."

http://thebiglead.com/2013/09/24/espn-says-aaron-rodgers-is-not-clutch-due-to-5-24-record-when-trailing-in-4th/
Classic example of taking one statistic and putting it all on the QB. We know all about that here on the Zone.

If I'm in need of a clutch situation, Rodgers is one of the first QBs I would want. He has had no running game and no defense for virtually his entire career, yet has his team in position to win almost every game. Was dropping dimes on one of the best defenses this decade in the SB. That's pretty clutch in my eyes.

He converts way too many 3rd downs, and RZ opportunities into TDs, to not be clutch.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM ]
Rodgers is not clutch. Anyone who's been truly watching a lot of his games knows this. He had a chance to win against the Bengals and choked in the red zone, like Kap did in the superbowl.
1-2 , he has to put up 35+ to win.
I don't watch a ton of GB games, but I would need to see many QB comparisons to see how this really is an appropriate criticism.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Method:
Rodgers is not clutch. Anyone who's been truly watching a lot of his games knows this. He had a chance to win against the Bengals and choked in the red zone, like Kap did in the superbowl.

lol
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame

....i'll just leave it at laughing at that comment.
[ Edited by Amir on Sep 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM ]
Aaron Rodgers might not be clutch but he has not always had a running game to lean on either. It ain't always the QB fault
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Aaron Rodgers isn't to blame for his team's defense being horrible and always blowing big leads.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
This article analyzes the 4th quarter efficiency for Aaron Rodgers, and he is to blame.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/aaron-rodgers-mr-irrelevant-fourth-quarter/15278/

• Dino
  • Veteran

Alex ftw, right?
Rodgers may not be "clutch", but he's still the best damn QB in the league. He is having a down year so far though.

Generally speaking, Rodgers doesn't need too many 4th quarter comebacks because he scores enough points that the other team generally tries to play catch up all day long.
He sucks
I don't think he is that great on come from behind in the 4th quarter. A lot of Rodgers wins are blowout wins where they are firmly in control by a lot of points. Not that it is bad. But it's not a come from behind win in a close game.
I don't see anything wrong with claiming that Rodgers is not clutch. Dominant QBs can be non-clutch, because the kind of pressure put on them with the game on the line with minimal amount of time remaining is very much different than the pressure to put up tons of points when there is no pressure. Furthermore, if the other team can keep up, it usually means that its defense is playing very well, making it harder for the QB to make big plays.
Share 49ersWebzone