LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Has the league ruined play with its rules concerning defense?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Antix:
Originally posted by captveg:
They need to do three things to help swing the balance back into the defense's favor, though it's unlikely to happen:

1) Since hitting hard legally can now be easily mistaken for an illegal hard hit they need to allow more hand checks/minor holding on WRs. The DBs are in such a disadvantage right now it's nearly impossible to play the position. Let the DBs get away with minor holding and make the WRs do more to earn their catches.

2) Make (legitimate) pass interference penalties the same as college - spot foul only up to 15 yards and an automatic first down, instead of being a spot foul no matter the distance. Yes, there will be the occasional purposeful PI to prevent a really long pass, but since PI happens all the time now anyways because the rules are so strict the advantage is so far in the offense's favor that giving defenses this small advantage won't make much difference. Besides, it's not as though college teams always chuck it and college DBs always PI to prevent long completions. In fact, it's extremely rare. The 15 yards/1st down is bad enough to prevent teams from willful PI all the time on long passes.

3) Personal foul penalties for roughing the passer/receiver need to be reviewable plays. Too many times in games this weekend I saw legitimate shoulder hits be called as helmet-to-helmet because the speed of the play in real time drew the flag from the ref. The penalty is too game-changing to get wrong as often as it happens.

Make these changes and defenses will have a better chance in today's offensive NFL. The problem is that offense = ratings = money. The lay NFL fan that doesn't go on message boards wants to see offenses and don't give a crap about defense, so they don't care about these things.

I agree wholeheartedly with 1 and 2. I've said the same thing many times.

I dont agree with 3 but just because I hate reviews. The game is so slow already with commercial breaks every 30 seconds. They review every turnover and score already, Maye if they did it automatically and quickly, but i dunno.

I feel like people who truly like football like strong defense too. i don't know why offense is associated with more ratings.

Because the NFL wants exciting shootouts and not boring low scoring defensive games because shootouts get higher ratings. Higher ratings equal more money which is the only thing the NFL cares about.
IMO it's another way for the refs to influence the outcome of the game.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

this is how football is meant to be

Almost everything in that video is a flag and a fine

just wait until someone's knees get blown during a high profile game because a safety was forced to go low on a hit.
Originally posted by 49erha:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Everybody plays under the same rules. Referees are inconsistent because there is a lot of grey area making everything a judgment call. That's just the way football is. Impossible to eliminate human error in officiating. If you're a good enough team you will overcome the mistakes and win the game anyways.

Has nothing to do with fairness between teams, the grey area is a relitively new thing. Before there wasn't much of it, this has only been happening since around 2005-06. And every year since they make new rules limiting the defense. It's killing our defense in particular because we are known to be a physical defense who hits hard, so we get flagged when we shouldn't like whitner on Sunday and Reid against Seattle.

Because of these( can't hit, can't touch receivers, can't touch the qb unless you hit him in the chest) rules offenses spread it out throw the ball 50 times rack up 400 yards and score 45 pts. Yeah points are fun but it got boring real quick. It's more exciting to see devensive battles now because they are so rare. Like I said stafford is at best an average qb throws for 5000yards, romo does it, Eli has done it. These are numbers that guys like Farve Elway Montana never reached. These guys have no business being up with names like Marino or even Brees.

It's to easy for offenses to score and it is really making the NFL lose its attraction, for me atleast.

now the next thing being phased out are power running backs with the no lowering of the head rule.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by 49erha:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Everybody plays under the same rules. Referees are inconsistent because there is a lot of grey area making everything a judgment call. That's just the way football is. Impossible to eliminate human error in officiating. If you're a good enough team you will overcome the mistakes and win the game anyways.

Has nothing to do with fairness between teams, the grey area is a relitively new thing. Before there wasn't much of it, this has only been happening since around 2005-06. And every year since they make new rules limiting the defense. It's killing our defense in particular because we are known to be a physical defense who hits hard, so we get flagged when we shouldn't like whitner on Sunday and Reid against Seattle.

Because of these( can't hit, can't touch receivers, can't touch the qb unless you hit him in the chest) rules offenses spread it out throw the ball 50 times rack up 400 yards and score 45 pts. Yeah points are fun but it got boring real quick. It's more exciting to see devensive battles now because they are so rare. Like I said stafford is at best an average qb throws for 5000yards, romo does it, Eli has done it. These are numbers that guys like Farve Elway Montana never reached. These guys have no business being up with names like Marino or even Brees.

It's to easy for offenses to score and it is really making the NFL lose its attraction, for me atleast.

now the next thing being phased out are power running backs with the no lowering of the head rule.

itll be 7 on 7 soon
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
The Future Of NFL

A tap on the butt will be a tackle. A tap on the cup (nuts) will be a sack.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Since they won't allow coaches to request INSTANT REPLAY on helmet-to-helmet hits, teams will get robbed. Zebras dictate/rig games to swing whatever way they want. And when they're not being biased/corrupted/betting, it will just seem that way... more times than not.
The powers that be back in the 70's thought the NFL needed more scoring. So they put the rule in that you can't touch a receiver past 5 yards. I understand the concern of protecting the defenseless player over the middle, but why now? Lawsuits. Helmet to helmet hits? Sometimes it can''t be avoided. There will be no Ronnie Lott in the next generation. Goldson was fined 100 g's. I've always said the game is evolving to Arena Football, limited field, not as many big men, fans on top of the action. No more need for billion dollar stadiums, play in an arena with 20,000 people, have a 25 game season and it's all profit. That player that said there will be no NFL in 30 years could be right. When the Arena game takes root there could be actors, women, and even fit politicians playing. That's Entertainment.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
You know..we all have the power to change this. If everybody banded together and boycotted the NFL for one week this s**t would be over. It doesn't even have to be everybody, but if the NFL caught scent that outrage has reached the level of a potential boycott I think things would change. But we're not going to do that so it's never going to change. We can complain but it is what it is. The NFL knows it's a Juggernaut and can do whatever it wants.
The league has ruined football by not being able to consistently apply the rules as written across the board , on all teams, and in all situations. The League allows too much leeway and leaves too much room for interpretation. The refs and their crews are allowed to do things differently, and their group gains it's own identity. "Oh well this crew calls a lot of pi" or "this crew allows rough play outside" or "this particular ref didn't feel threatened when the player put his hands on the official"

It's all a bunch of b******t and allows the league to have their winner as they can essentially apply the rules how they want. In one weeks time a team can have it's oppositions DB's be more physical than most the tackles made on any particular play, but then the following week that teams DB's flagged for playing the exact same way the oppositions DB's were playing the week before. It's all a bunch of b******t.

Originally posted by WINiner:
The league has ruined football by not being able to consistently apply the rules as written across the board , on all teams, and in all situations. The League allows too much leeway and leaves too much room for interpretation. The refs and their crews are allowed to do things differently, and their group gains it's own identity. "Oh well this crew calls a lot of pi" or "this crew allows rough play outside" or "this particular ref didn't feel threatened when the player put his hands on the official"

It's all a bunch of b******t and allows the league to have their winner as they can essentially apply the rules how they want. In one weeks time a team can have it's oppositions DB's be more physical than most the tackles made on any particular play, but then the following week that teams DB's flagged for playing the exact same way the oppositions DB's were playing the week before. It's all a bunch of b******t.

Yup. Inconsistent application of the rules is irritating. Sometimes it even occurs withing the same game with the same refs. One play is called and the exact same play later in the game isn't

If that was actually the case the Whitner hit in the Colts game would have been an offensive foul on the RB. This new rule isn't gonna be called anywhere close to the defensive penalty rules.
football is starting to suck !!!It's all about the zebras now!!!!!!
Originally posted by LVJay:
The Future Of NFL

A tap on the butt will be a tackle. A tap on the cup (nuts) will be a sack.

mark sanchez doesn't suck then, he's just way ahead of his time.
Originally posted by captveg:

If that was actually the case the Whitner hit in the Colts game would have been an offensive foul on the RB. This new rule isn't gonna be called anywhere close to the defensive penalty rules.

i hope not. but it also does show the enforcement of the rules favor the offense. what happened to "when in doubt throw the flag"? should't it apply for that rule also?
Share 49ersWebzone