There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Has the league ruined play with its rules concerning defense?

I think for me it has, I enjoyed football a lot more before the nfl started putting so many restrictions on defense. For instance yesterday the call on whitner or the ticky tak pi's. This is football let them play. Just a few years ago a 45-38 type score use to be a fun wild game nowadays it's so common it's boring. We almost never get those 10-7 defensive battles. Now it's easy to score defenses are put at such a disadvantage. IMO football was so much better pre 2005 and colts WRS started b***hing about contact, and the rules about hitting are making it worst. Today qbs throw for 400 yards almost every week, I mean a s**tty qb like Bradford can throw for 5000+ yards. Defenses are just not allowed to dominate.

How do you guys feel about this? Are you happier with with the style of play today or in the past?
I hate the way the game is called. American football is one of the very few sports that defense is fun to watch. Now great hits aren't great hits, they're penalities.
They need to do three things to help swing the balance back into the defense's favor, though it's unlikely to happen:

1) Since hitting hard legally can now be easily mistaken for an illegal hard hit they need to allow more hand checks/minor holding on WRs. The DBs are in such a disadvantage right now it's nearly impossible to play the position. Let the DBs get away with minor holding and make the WRs do more to earn their catches.

2) Make (legitimate) pass interference penalties the same as college - spot foul only up to 15 yards and an automatic first down, instead of being a spot foul no matter the distance. Yes, there will be the occasional purposeful PI to prevent a really long pass, but since PI happens all the time now anyways because the rules are so strict the advantage is so far in the offense's favor that giving defenses this small advantage won't make much difference. Besides, it's not as though college teams always chuck it and college DBs always PI to prevent long completions. In fact, it's extremely rare. The 15 yards/1st down is bad enough to prevent teams from willful PI all the time on long passes.

3) Personal foul penalties for roughing the passer/receiver need to be reviewable plays. Too many times in games this weekend I saw legitimate shoulder hits be called as helmet-to-helmet because the speed of the play in real time drew the flag from the ref. The penalty is too game-changing to get wrong as often as it happens.

Make these changes and defenses will have a better chance in today's offensive NFL. The problem is that offense = ratings = money. The lay NFL fan that doesn't go on message boards wants to see offenses and don't give a crap about defense, so they don't care about these things.
[ Edited by captveg on Sep 23, 2013 at 1:19 PM ]
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,214
Originally posted by captveg:
They need to do three things to help swing the balance back into the defense's favor, though it's unlikely to happen:

1) Since hitting hard legally can now be easily mistaken for an illegal hard hit they need to allow more hand checks/minor holding on WRs. The DBs are in such a disadvantage right now it's nearly impossible to play the position. Let the DBs get away with minor holding and make the WRs do more to earn their catches.

2) Make (legitimate) pass interference penalties the same as college - spot foul only up to 15 yards and an automatic first down, instead of being a spot foul no matter the distance. Yes, there will be the occasional purposeful PI to prevent a really long pass, but since PI happens all the time now anyways because the rules are so strict the advantage is so far in the offense's favor that giving defenses this small advantage won't make much difference. Besides, it's not as though college teams always chuck it and college DBs always PI to prevent long completions. In fact, it's extremely rare. The 15 yards/1st down is bad enough to prevent teams from willful PI all the time on long passes.

3) Personal foul penalties for roughing the passer/receiver need to be reviewable plays. Too many times in games this weekend I saw legitimate shoulder hits be called as helmet-to-helmet because the speed of the play in real time drew the flag from the ref. The penalty is too game-changing to get wrong as often as it happens.

Make these changes and defenses will have a better chance in today's offensive NFL. The problem is that offense = ratings = money. The lay NFL fan that doesn't go on message boards wants to see offenses and don't give a crap about defense, so they don't care about these things.

I agree wholeheartedly with 1 and 2. I've said the same thing many times.

I dont agree with 3 but just because I hate reviews. The game is so slow already with commercial breaks every 30 seconds. They review every turnover and score already, Maye if they did it automatically and quickly, but i dunno.

I feel like people who truly like football like strong defense too. i don't know why offense is associated with more ratings.
Everybody plays under the same rules. Referees are inconsistent because there is a lot of grey area making everything a judgment call. That's just the way football is. Impossible to eliminate human error in officiating. If you're a good enough team you will overcome the mistakes and win the game anyways.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Everybody plays under the same rules. Referees are inconsistent because there is a lot of grey area making everything a judgment call. That's just the way football is. Impossible to eliminate human error in officiating. If you're a good enough team you will overcome the mistakes and win the game anyways.

Has nothing to do with fairness between teams, the grey area is a relitively new thing. Before there wasn't much of it, this has only been happening since around 2005-06. And every year since they make new rules limiting the defense. It's killing our defense in particular because we are known to be a physical defense who hits hard, so we get flagged when we shouldn't like whitner on Sunday and Reid against Seattle.

Because of these( can't hit, can't touch receivers, can't touch the qb unless you hit him in the chest) rules offenses spread it out throw the ball 50 times rack up 400 yards and score 45 pts. Yeah points are fun but it got boring real quick. It's more exciting to see devensive battles now because they are so rare. Like I said stafford is at best an average qb throws for 5000yards, romo does it, Eli has done it. These are numbers that guys like Farve Elway Montana never reached. These guys have no business being up with names like Marino or even Brees.

It's to easy for offenses to score and it is really making the NFL lose its attraction, for me atleast.
Yes they have
It's starting to become like baseball was in 2001-2002 when the explosion of offense was several years old and getting far less interesting.
Yes.

This is not real football anymore. Ronnie Lott couldn't even play in todays league.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes.

This is not real football anymore. Ronnie Lott couldn't even play in todays league.

True.

Makes you wonder how much better Willis, bowman, Goldson could have been in the '80s.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes.

This is not real football anymore. Ronnie Lott couldn't even play in todays league.

its not. Watching the games all morning and every single time there was a big hit, even if it was legal, a penalty was called. Whitner said exactly what i thought...You just can't hit people any more. You have to tackle. Which is unfair to the defenses going up against offensive players with skill sets who have grown to match their size and strength.

Its really sad. In about 15 years kids will watch this crap and wonder what all the fuss is about.
they're trying to bring madden to life.


this is how football is meant to be
Originally posted by monsterzero789:


this is how football is meant to be

Almost everything in that video is a flag and a fine
Originally posted by 49erha:
I think for me it has, I enjoyed football a lot more before the nfl started putting so many restrictions on defense. For instance yesterday the call on whitner or the ticky tak pi's. This is football let them play. Just a few years ago a 45-38 type score use to be a fun wild game nowadays it's so common it's boring. We almost never get those 10-7 defensive battles. Now it's easy to score defenses are put at such a disadvantage. IMO football was so much better pre 2005 and colts WRS started b***hing about contact, and the rules about hitting are making it worst. Today qbs throw for 400 yards almost every week, I mean a s**tty qb like Bradford can throw for 5000+ yards. Defenses are just not allowed to dominate.

How do you guys feel about this? Are you happier with with the style of play today or in the past?

I'm with you. Nowadays, the ADHD world just wants big plays and high scores.