Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Originally posted by crabman82:
if you're a niner draft pick who gets to the final year of your contract and dont have it extended by seasons end, dont expect to be back.

This. With that being said I really hope we resign this guy
oh i agree, however if crabtree demands a obscene amount of money then you let him walk. people screamed when goldson took a hike and we ended up ok. sure i have some issues with roman and the niners at times but I am 100 per cent sold on how they run this team, how they set a price for a player, never overpay, for all the times i can get nuts,, I NEVER get crazy if the niners are not active on day one or two of free agency. they wait in the weeds, let the insanity die down, let the price come down, look for the "right" player, not over pay and get their man. that is the only way to operate in this nfl world in my opinion

totally agree. free agency is for the s**tty teams who have loads of cap space because they dont have many talented players to pay. its the super bowl of the offseason for the lesser rans of the league.
that is why i just chuckle when free agency arrives and we get the predictable posts in the first day or two when we are not active with people screaming WHAT THE f**k ARE THE NINERS DOING?THEY ARE LOSING OUT ON ALL THE GOOD PLAYERS? WHY DON'T THEY DO SOMETHING, WE ARE THE LAUGHING STOCK OF THE NFL! those s**tty teams who spend boatloads of money remain s**tty, tampa, washington etc
One thing is for sure. 9er brass will not overpay and I'm completely fine with that.
They don't overpay, but I do understand why the original poster made the post. Panic after seeing how putrid our offense (passing) looked without Crabtree. I'll say it again though, if Crabtree signs for a contract similar to Victor Cruz, we will be able to retain everyone. We even have a chance of extending Mike Iupati,
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
They don't overpay, but I do understand why the original poster made the post. Panic after seeing how putrid our offense (passing) looked without Crabtree. I'll say it again though, if Crabtree signs for a contract similar to Victor Cruz, we will be able to retain everyone. We even have a chance of extending Mike Iupati,

Our offense looked bad for many reasons.

1) Loss of Crabtree
2) No receiving threat after Crabs and VD
3) Kaepernick still being raw and not seeing the whole field
4) Roman's playcalling
5) Coaching staff's inability to get everyone involved

I think Crabtree is much more important than he should be.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/crabtree-enters-contract-year-looking-deal-among-elite

Definitions of Elite:
1: best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.
2: persons of the highest class: Only the elite were there.
3: a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group: the power elite of a major political party.
4: a type, approximately 10-point in printing-type size, widely used in typewriters and having 12 characters to the inch. Compare pica1 .

One thing I have learned in my life is that if you want respect you give it.
I believe that Crabtree has the tools to becoming a top 10 receiver in the NFL and over the years we have seen some of that greatness on the field. But unfortunately due to his injury history and unfulfilled requirements, I believe has hindered him to claim an title as a Elite Wide Receiver. To pay someone Elite Money when it is not due is a huge leap of faith in which threw out history by example has proven to be crippling. Now its not like we are talking about the unknown of a player like a rookie who has just been drafted and the hype of this college years still lingers... we are talking about a seasoned NFL Veteran who has been weighed.
Signing Crabtree to an elite contract is a gamble on an already Elite Super Bowl contending 49ers team with a tight budget. If this signing comes to pass it states that "The Titanic" is Unsinkable. Like M. Vick 2011 100 Mil. contract to J. Russell 6 yr 68 Mill, rolling onto R. Leaf 31 Mill Rookie contract... hulting at J. Walker WR 2008 55 mill contract proves that one player will change the teams destiny... and those are a few names, the list could be much bigger. The memory of M. Crabtree hold out rookie off season and his extensive injury back ground needs to be made right by Crabtree before elite contracts are discussed.

If you want elite pay to give elite play

If Crabtree can give 3 solid years of Elite playing then pay him or we might find ourselves paying someone ego and giving birth to an atmosphere that could whip us out of Super Bowl Contentions.
[ Edited by Constantine on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM ]
While I agree that Crabtree isn't elite (yet), unfortunately that means very little when it comes to contract negotiations.

As it stands now, the case could be made that he's "better" (or more productive, if you prefer) than Mike Wallace, Percy Harvin and Dwayne Bowe--three of the top-five highest paid receivers in the league (based on average annual salary). And FWIW, I can see him very easily outperforming all of those guys this upcoming season. Should that happen, he and his agent are going to have a very good case that yes worth top-five money. And if we don't pay it to him (which isn't likely in my opinion), then someone else will.

Just the way it works.
Originally posted by baltien:
While I agree that Crabtree isn't elite (yet), unfortunately that means very little when it comes to contract negotiations.

As it stands now, the case could be made that he's "better" (or more productive, if you prefer) than Mike Wallace, Percy Harvin and Dwayne Bowe--three of the top-five highest paid receivers in the league (based on average annual salary). And FWIW, I can see him very easily outperforming all of those guys this upcoming season. Should that happen, he and his agent are going to have a very good case that yes worth top-five money. And if we don't pay it to him (which isn't likely in my opinion), then someone else will.

Just the way it works.

This is why I think the Niners need to not spend 1 but 2 of their top 3 picks on WR this year. This is a deep WR class and ranked high. If Crabtree departs after 2014 and Boldin after 2015, heres to hoping both new WR's pan out.

I am NOT sold on Crabtree making elite money. He never seems to make it through any season healthy.
Originally posted by 9erred:

Just the way it works.

This is why I think the Niners need to not spend 1 but 2 of their top 3 picks on WR this year. This is a deep WR class and ranked high. If Crabtree departs after 2014 and Boldin after 2015, heres to hoping both new WR's pan out.

I am NOT sold on Crabtree making elite money. He never seems to make it through any season healthy.
If you had it your way who would you select in this years draft as WR.
Did I comprehend the article wrong? When I the article did it say he's asking for elite money?
Originally posted by mike9er:
Did I comprehend the article wrong? When I the article did it say he's asking for elite money?

sorry if my response made it sound that he did, like the article my blog is a discussion bast on "What If"

No. LOL. People overrate him massively on the WZ. He had 1 healthy and very productive season ever. 1 season............. in all the years he has played. He's usually holding out or walking around in a boot or has a bad achilles. Plus he is not that fast. He was on a 6 year contract so he will be about 28 when it's up. You could franchise tag him one year and he would make it until 29. After that SEE YA!

Being healthy IS PART of the equation. People on the WZ always pretend like it is not. But it is. And Crabtree is not healthy. He had 1 productive season ever. He's not worth elite money. Franchise tag him one year and let him go after that if need be. We need a younger and faster WR.

Now Crabtree is not worthless. He has a skill set. He's just slow, injured and our QB really tends to stare him down. He may be forced to look at the whole field without Crabtree which would be good for his growth process.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I loathe the day John Clayton put the word "elite" into the football lexicon.
Does not deserve top 5 money. Top 25, yes.

Just the way it works.

it doesn't work that way

if this was the case, every player in the nfl would bring up every former player that got payed a big contract and everybody would be making 10mil+ a year...wallace, bowe, and even harvin, got payed on production. if crabtree goes out this year puts up 10+ TDs and 1200+ yards, than he might see that kind of money. if he doesn't produce at a high level, the FA market will dictate his price. if crabtree would've been a FA right now, i doubt he would see anything more than 6mil a year, and with his injury history, for a max 3 years.
[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Apr 21, 2014 at 1:28 PM ]
If Greg Jennings is making $8+ million per season (average), Crabtree has to feel he's worth somewhere in the neighbourhood of $9 million per year (average).

Market value is largely decided by the highest amount a player of similar production is making. If Crabtree has 2,000 yards and 20 TD's in 2014, he'll be looking for Megatron money. Obviously this is an exaggeration, but you get the idea. Therefore, much of Crabtree's future worth will be determined by his 2014/15 production.

Consider Hakeem Nicks. After the 2011 season, he was worth "elite" money. His next 2 seasons cast a shadow on his previous 2 and he was subsequently signed by Indy for 1 year, $3.5+ million after his contract ran out in NY.

The NFL is a what have you done for me lately business. There's no point in speculating on how much Crabtree will sign for until the 2014/15 season is in full swing and we get a better illustration on what kind of player he truly is (or what kind of player he is for the time being).
Share 49ersWebzone