There are 150 users in the forums

Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch1m
Spoke to surgeon who is also a #49ers fan about Michael Crabtree's post-Achilles performance. He said it's remarkable WR is "kicking ass."
The way Crabtree has been playing makes him a Must for the Niners.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Kaepernick: IF we win the Superbowl this year, re-sign him for 7 years around 110 Mil. If not, let him play out the 2014 season. IF we win the Superbowl in 2014, offer him 6 years 107 Mil. IF we don't win the Superbowl in 2014, franchise tag him.

With a Superbowl win this year, Kaep will have taken the team to a near Superbowl victory last year and a Superbowl win this year. Two Superbowl appearances in his first full two years of playing including delivering the 6th ring with likely 4 road victories to win it all this year. With cap space going up, that resume could easily justify Ryan/Rogers/Flacco/Brees type money and he would be worth it even if he did nothing else for the rest of his contract.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stimpy:
With a Superbowl win this year, Kaep will have taken the team to a near Superbowl victory last year and a Superbowl win this year. Two Superbowl appearances in his first full two years of playing including delivering the 6th ring with likely 4 road victories to win it all this year. With cap space going up, that resume could easily justify Ryan/Rogers/Flacco/Brees type money and he would be worth it even if he did nothing else for the rest of his contract.

I agree, that's why I think 110-120 Mil over a 6-7 year span is in that ballpark
King Crab has now played 16 full games w/ Kap...

88 rec 1289yds 9td's

6 of those 16 games are him coming off the Achilles injury so the numbers could be even more gaudy

beast
i'll take crabs over harvin any day
Originally posted by iLL49er:
King Crab has now played 16 full games w/ Kap...

88 rec 1289yds 9td's

6 of those 16 games are him coming off the Achilles injury so the numbers could be even more gaudy

beast

Guy is just a beast with Kaepernick throwning him the ball. Hope it continues for awhile with both guys on the 49ers!
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by outside4949:
I still don't understand how anyone thinks iupati has more value to this team. never did. its not even close. crab is worth 3 iupatis

Because before this season, the logic was it's cheaper to extend Iupati then it is Crabtree. Even if you overpay for Mike Iupati, it could still be cheaper than extending Micael Crabtree. And then we saw the offense without Crabtree. We also saw the offense without Mike Iupati. And we learned our lesson. Michael Crabtree > Mike Iupati. The money is no object now. The run game did in fact dip without Iupati, but we still were able to put up points and move the ball reasonably well. We also were vulnerable at center, as we've been all season. It would be interesting to see how we look next year with a center. That might help lessen the loss of Mike Iupati going forward if we can't extend him.

Iupati just hasn't had that great of season. Yes, he may be hurt, but we've overspent on the O-Line for the quality we are getting. Guards that are close to his performance especially in the passing game are not too hard to find and will cost a fraction of what they are paying him.

This is just my opinion, but I think our offense is going to go more toward 50/50 pass/run over the next few years. I think Harbalke are going to figure out that the heavy emphasis on an overpowering running game isn't the answer post Gore. I think we're already in transition. The offense runs through Kap now. The QB is the center of the offense on all teams perenially in the playoffs. New Orleans with a stronger running game and D is the model that will get you there year in and out. I think we'll see more 3 wide, H-back or LaMichael in a Sproles role in the future. Kap is made for this type of offense. Lattimore can be very effective out of spread and I-formation. Put Kendall and LaMichael in and you have a powerhouse offense.
Originally posted by iCameHere2LaughatU:
As a longtime Seahawks fan, this is lovely.

Yea good luck u will need it. Harbaugh owns Pete!
Originally posted by barrymartin:
I still don't understand how anyone thinks iupati has more value to this team. never did. its not even close. crab is worth 3 iupatis

Because before this season, the logic was it's cheaper to extend Iupati then it is Crabtree. Even if you overpay for Mike Iupati, it could still be cheaper than extending Micael Crabtree. And then we saw the offense without Crabtree. We also saw the offense without Mike Iupati. And we learned our lesson. Michael Crabtree > Mike Iupati. The money is no object now. The run game did in fact dip without Iupati, but we still were able to put up points and move the ball reasonably well. We also were vulnerable at center, as we've been all season. It would be interesting to see how we look next year with a center. That might help lessen the loss of Mike Iupati going forward if we can't extend him.

Iupati just hasn't had that great of season. Yes, he may be hurt, but we've overspent on the O-Line for the quality we are getting. Guards that are close to his performance especially in the passing game are not too hard to find and will cost a fraction of what they are paying him.

This is just my opinion, but I think our offense is going to go more toward 50/50 pass/run over the next few years. I think Harbalke are going to figure out that the heavy emphasis on an overpowering running game isn't the answer post Gore. I think we're already in transition. The offense runs through Kap now. The QB is the center of the offense on all teams perenially in the playoffs. New Orleans with a stronger running game and D is the model that will get you there year in and out. I think we'll see more 3 wide, H-back or LaMichael in a Sproles role in the future. Kap is made for this type of offense. Lattimore can be very effective out of spread and I-formation. Put Kendall and LaMichael in and you have a powerhouse offense.

Power running has to be used to win.

Originally posted by SaksV:
Kaepernick: IF we win the Superbowl this year, re-sign him for 7 years around 110 Mil. If not, let him play out the 2014 season. IF we win the Superbowl in 2014, offer him 6 years 107 Mil. IF we don't win the Superbowl in 2014, franchise tag him.

Aldon: After 2014, offer him 4 years 42 Mil.

Crabtree: After 2014 offer him 5 years 42 Mil with the option to void his 5th year

Iupati: Draft a Center in Round 1-3 (Goodwin retires). Draft a Guard Round 2-4. Let him walk after 2014.

Trade iupati this year. Probably equal to a low second round pick.
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:

Power running yes, but not having the core focus on your O being an "over-powering" running game where you think you can simply line up enough meat to push the D around. We have proven conclusively that this doesn't work with our heavy packages. They are getting no-where now that the league has figured out how to stop them. We have to force the D to defend all the field, horizontally and vertically and yes, also right in the box with the capacity to use power running as a part of the overall scheme. Diversity that causes the D to have to plan for everything and being able to do it all well is ideal.

Power running yes, but not having the core focus on your O being an "over-powering" running game where you think you can simply line up enough meat to push the D around. We have proven conclusively that this doesn't work with our heavy packages. They are getting no-where now that the league has figured out how to stop them. We have to force the D to defend all the field, horizontally and vertically and yes, also right in the box with the capacity to use power running as a part of the overall scheme. Diversity that causes the D to have to plan for everything and being able to do it all well is ideal.
I agree. Plus if we would use our receiving options more that would open up the run game a lot more so we won't be facing 8 in a box. Can you imagine Frank Gore running against a nickel defense? Not saying that we should pass to the point that defenses line up in a nickel the majority of the time, but give our runners some more space by using the pass to set up the run more.

I agree. Plus if we would use our receiving options more that would open up the run game a lot more so we won't be facing 8 in a box. Can you imagine Frank Gore running against a nickel defense? Not saying that we should pass to the point that defenses line up in a nickel the majority of the time, but give our runners some more space by using the pass to set up the run more.

Yes..I think what we are seeing is the need for so much diversity in scheme that we are limited to power running as our mainstay. The more multi-dimensional an O can be the harder it is to stop. This is what Bill Walsh did. His offenses could do it all. The D couldn't settle into a focus on stopping one thing and beat us. If they focused on stopping the run they'd beat them with the pass. If they tried to shut down the passing game they would run them off the field.

Frank doesn't seem to like running out of spread formations. Looking back to week 1, we used an O that blew the Pack away on the pass. The run wasn't working at all in the game so Kap through for 400+. The next two weeks we tanked trying to pass so we defaulted to the power running game with Frank the Tank. It was sort of like a pendulum swing that we're now just trying to work ourselves out of not that Crabs is back.

Frank is coming to the end, and lately we are seeing that he can't be the ongoing focus of the O. It will have to change, but it will take the offseason to make this shift. We'll see it all unfold in free agency and the draft. This is where they show their hand. If they extend Crabs and not iupati that is a sign.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Yes..I think what we are seeing is the need for so much diversity in scheme that we are limited to power running as our mainstay. The more multi-dimensional an O can be the harder it is to stop. This is what Bill Walsh did. His offenses could do it all. The D couldn't settle into a focus on stopping one thing and beat us. If they focused on stopping the run they'd beat them with the pass. If they tried to shut down the passing game they would run them off the field.

Frank doesn't seem to like running out of spread formations. Looking back to week 1, we used an O that blew the Pack away on the pass. The run wasn't working at all in the game so Kap through for 400+. The next two weeks we tanked trying to pass so we defaulted to the power running game with Frank the Tank. It was sort of like a pendulum swing that we're now just trying to work ourselves out of not that Crabs is back.

Frank is coming to the end, and lately we are seeing that he can't be the ongoing focus of the O. It will have to change, but it will take the offseason to make this shift. We'll see it all unfold in free agency and the draft. This is where they show their hand. If they extend Crabs and not iupati that is a sign.
i think you underestimate gore. the word defaulted makes it seem like its tragic we have to do that . in case you did not know after a 1-2 start that is exactly how we got back on track. and if roman had chosen to stay with the "defaulted" power run game vs the colts we would have won that game. we are not a pass first team, never have been and under JH never will be. sorry but you are incorrect in your analysis about the state of our team in my opinion
Share 49ersWebzone