There are 258 users in the forums

Possible answer to 49ers 2 Wideout

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Multiple receivers are wasted on kap. He has 1 read on most plays and the play breaks down if not open

Boldin is our only receiver who wouldn't be below the number 3 receiver for any other team.
Pull the f**king trigger!! I'm sick and tired of seeing kw as the #2, can we really count on crabs and manningham being 100%?
come on man.....GORDON GO GeT HIM
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Pull the f**king trigger!! I'm sick and tired of seeing kw as the #2, can we really count on crabs and manningham being 100%?

This last part you mention is what I worry about. A lot of people just think we'll get a healthy Manningham and Crabtree back and we'll just plug them back in, WR problem solved. I wish it were that easy. I have a good feeling Manningham will most likely be fine w/ the time gone by since his injury - but again, that's a big "if" and he's a #3, maybe #2 WR at the very best. Crabtree...I really want to believe he'll be just fine in Nov. or Dec. and we'll get him right back in there as Kap's #1 target again...but coming back from a complete achilles rupture? Would be a bonus to get him back close to full strength this year. Thus, I'm leaning towards a trade for a truly productive WR...if the team feels that person is Josh Gordon, I'm hoping they pull the trigger for one of our later 2nd round picks or a 3rd if the Browns would do it.
It's no secret our weakness has been the WR position. Like someone posted earlier, Manningham and Crabs are not going to be guaranteed to get back 100%. We need to solidify this spot if we're going to make a push for the SB. Heck, we got the ammo (draft picks) to get it done.

I welcome the Josh Gordon trade.
[ Edited by NinerGold39 on Oct 7, 2013 at 3:58 PM ]
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Does this roster even have room for all those draft picks next year? This is a team that was trading off players to get 7th rounders just to get something for them before cutting players.

Considering the return of this year's injured crop of dps (Lattimore, Carradine & Dial) the roster next year may have six or seven spots open at the most. Six or seven spots for 13 draft picks.

I'm sure they'll be a ton of trades, maybe for future picks, but otherwise the 49ers could end up having to cut half their draft class if they don't move players. And considering the first 6 picks are all in the first 3 rounds - that's crazy.

My prediction - the 49ers give up more than the 3 they seem to be pushing now. The Brown don't get the 2 they want, but they save face by stock piling draft picks - what any rebuilding franchise needs. Maybe a 3rd and 2 7s for Gordon.

1. First round: Own pick
2. Second round: Own pick
3. *Second round: Kansas City pick in 2013 Alex Smith trade
4. Third round: Tennessee pick in 2013 draft day trade
5. Third round: Own pick
6. **Third: Compensatory
7. Fourth round: Own pick
8. Fifth round: Own pick
9. Sixth round: Own pick
10. Seventh round: Carolina pick from 2012 Colin Jones trade
11. Seventh round: New Orleans pick from Parys Haralson trade
12. Seventh round: Indianapolis pick from Cam Johnson trade
13. Seventh round: Own pick
Originally posted by buck:
Trading for Josh Gordon would be a mistake in my humble opinion.
Maybe a huge mistake.

Cleveland Browns' Josh Gordon confirms he faces year's suspension by NFL if there's another failed drug test

Cleveland.com reported in June that Gordon, who was suspended two games for a positive codeine test that he said was in his cough syrup prescription, faced a year's suspension with another failed test. In that case, he'd have to apply for reinstatement from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_josh_gordon_n.html

Im with u why trade for a head case it would be a very bad idea ..... please 49er gods dont have us trade for this bad apple ..
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Originally posted by buck:
Trading for Josh Gordon would be a mistake in my humble opinion.
Maybe a huge mistake.

Cleveland Browns' Josh Gordon confirms he faces year's suspension by NFL if there's another failed drug test

Cleveland.com reported in June that Gordon, who was suspended two games for a positive codeine test that he said was in his cough syrup prescription, faced a year's suspension with another failed test. In that case, he'd have to apply for reinstatement from Commissioner Roger Goodell.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/09/cleveland_browns_josh_gordon_n.html

Im with u why trade for a head case it would be a very bad idea ..... please 49er gods dont have us trade for this bad apple ..

That was post #666 for you. You're the devil, I don't trust you.
Originally posted by RKab:
Does this roster even have room for all those draft picks next year? This is a team that was trading off players to get 7th rounders just to get something for them before cutting players.

Considering the return of this year's injured crop of dps (Lattimore, Carradine & Dial) the roster next year may have six or seven spots open at the most. Six or seven spots for 13 draft picks.

I'm sure they'll be a ton of trades, maybe for future picks, but otherwise the 49ers could end up having to cut half their draft class if they don't move players. And considering the first 6 picks are all in the first 3 rounds - that's crazy.

My prediction - the 49ers give up more than the 3 they seem to be pushing now. The Brown don't get the 2 they want, but they save face by stock piling draft picks - what any rebuilding franchise needs. Maybe a 3rd and 2 7s for Gordon.

1. First round: Own pick
2. Second round: Own pick
3. *Second round: Kansas City pick in 2013 Alex Smith trade
4. Third round: Tennessee pick in 2013 draft day trade
5. Third round: Own pick
6. **Third: Compensatory
7. Fourth round: Own pick
8. Fifth round: Own pick
9. Sixth round: Own pick
10. Seventh round: Carolina pick from 2012 Colin Jones trade
11. Seventh round: New Orleans pick from Parys Haralson trade
12. Seventh round: Indianapolis pick from Cam Johnson trade
13. Seventh round: Own pick

i dont see 13 rookies making this roster next year.... lets get QUALITY not quantity... trade for GORDON!!!
Here's the way I look at it: the draft is a crapshoot, so increase your odds with some extra picks. They'll know full-well that a handful of their picks won't make the roster; however, by bringing in more camp bodies, they'll have extended opportunities to scout a handful of guys during the offseason, as well as increase competition. That way, if/when they completely whiff on a pick, these extra picks serve as sort of a buffer -- a safety net against the picks they do miss on.

Also, like you said -- trades. Look at the Reid trade: we gave up a third round pick to move up 10 spots or whatever to secure our guy. Right now, it's looking like a brilliant move. We could take a similar approach next offseason.

• dmax
  • Veteran
Bull the trigger damnit
  • RKab
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theduke85:
Here's the way I look at it: the draft is a crapshoot, so increase your odds with some extra picks. They'll know full-well that a handful of their picks won't make the roster; however, by bringing in more camp bodies, they'll have extended opportunities to scout a handful of guys during the offseason, as well as increase competition. That way, if/when they completely whiff on a pick, these extra picks serve as sort of a buffer -- a safety net against the picks they do miss on.

Also, like you said -- trades. Look at the Reid trade: we gave up a third round pick to move up 10 spots or whatever to secure our guy. Right now, it's looking like a brilliant move. We could take a similar approach next offseason.

Agree in part. Yes the draft is a crap shoot - problem is you'll have to make decisions on these guys before you know if they can "go" or not. Without enough roster room you will have no time to develop those WRs you draft in the 7th round. You'll have to keep your early picks (otherwise why did you take them so early). So if there's no room on the roster and you have to cut so many guys - you essentially are losing value on all of those picks. Then Seattle can just pick up the best of the guys we cut.

Only a handful, maybe 1 or 2 4th rounders get cut across the NFL in any given year. Right now the 49ers have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds on a very full and very talent roster. Yes they can trade up in the draft and cut down those numbers. I'm sure they will. But when you have an excess of 2s and 3s, and you are super bowl contender and you have a major hole at a position, you give up a 2 or a 3 to get there.
[ Edited by RKab on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't see us trading for anyone because of the following reasons:

1) We already traded for Baldwin, and he's in the process still (probably getting pretty close now) in getting completely caught up with our offense.

2) Manningham is expected back in the near future.

3) Crabtree is expected back later on.

4) They like Patton and he's developing.

None of the above matter if you are a Super Bowl contender. At this point, this very, very, very early point, one would expect the road to the Super Bowl to go through Seattle. The 49ers don't win in Seattle unless they get a lot better at WR and QB.

The offense is in the stone age (again). This will work against 75 - 80% of the teams in the league as long as the defense keeps playing as well as they do. But the Broncos exist. And I don't know that stone age can beat the Seahawks. They need a big tough, Dez Bryant-esque WRer who has speed and the ability to get up and get the ball in the red zone and fight off Seattle's DBs.

Manningham has historically been a number 3 receiver who they were going to cut - but he took a pay cut to stay with the team. His contract expires after this year. He signed with the 49ers under a modest deal late after there was not a ton of interest from other teams.

Crabtree's value has skyrocketed this year when you look at how much the passing offense has struggled without him. He's coming off a major injury and November is highly optimistic. He also could be gone after next year.

Baldwin is a failed pick who was traded for a failed pick. I hope he turns out OK. But I'm not banking on him as a #2 for a SB contender.

Patton is a rookie 4th rounder.

Gordon is a game changer, with elitle tangibles. This isn't 2008 anymore. We're not building for the future - we're trying to get back to the SB given a small window of opportunity we have before CK and Aldon and Crabs get paid big bucks.

Smart teams make these moves a year (or two) before they have to. To me, getting Gordon would be a smart move.

edit:

Andy Behrens just posted this on twitter and it is a good point.

Andy Behrens ‏@andybehrens4m
OK, you can't convince me that return of post-ACL Mario & post-Achilles Crabtree is reason to not trade for a healthy Josh Gordon. Good try

Thank you for taking the time to articulate in detail what should be obvious to everyone, but for some reason isn't.

Getting big time WRs is a tricky thing. If you look around the league a lot of the best ones are guys that teams made risky moves to acquire (VJax, Marshall, Julio).

The 9ers are going to have a very hard time beating the elite teams without more elite weapons.

Make it happen.
Please pull the mf trigger!!!! This team needs to win now!!! Give Keap the weapon!!!! Alex is not here anymore... Keap has an arm... We have the draft picks.... Our team needs to win now!!
Originally posted by theduke85:

this should have been done once again to get additional 3rd rounder..
Share 49ersWebzone