There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Colts trade for Trent Richardson

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
No way would I trade a 1st pick for any RB. See Frank Gore 3rd round. Colts are morons IMO, Alfred Morris 6th round. And your damn right I would trade away any RB for a 1st round pick.

Really? If you were the Vikings you would deal Peterson to say to a playoff team and get maybe the 30th pick?

Sure I said, I would trade any RB for a 1st round pick, but lets be reasonable, trading Peterson would go to the highest bidder. Did I say I would just give a RB away?

Franchise QB >>> Franchise RB

Dumb move by the Colts - yes, I get Richardson is young and a former 3rd overall pick, but you should never overpay for talent. Patriots, Ravens, 49ers, and Texans are prime examples of success by paying market value.

I would have offered a 3rd round pick that can elevate to a 2nd or 1st - depending on Richardson's performance.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
No way would I trade a 1st pick for any RB. See Frank Gore 3rd round. Colts are morons IMO, Alfred Morris 6th round. And your damn right I would trade away any RB for a 1st round pick.

Really? If you were the Vikings you would deal Peterson to say to a playoff team and get maybe the 30th pick?

Sure I said, I would trade any RB for a 1st round pick, but lets be reasonable, trading Peterson would go to the highest bidder. Did I say I would just give a RB away?

Franchise QB >>> Franchise RB

Dumb move by the Colts - yes, I get Richardson is young and a former 3rd overall pick, but you should never overpay for talent. Patriots, Ravens, 49ers, and Texans are prime examples of success by paying market value.

I would have offered a 3rd round pick that can elevate to a 2nd or 1st - depending on Richardson's performance.

Exactly!!

Although I probably would trade a 1st for a Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson in a heartbeat. But the value for a RB isn't that great, a great O-line can make a great RB. Value for RB's drop even more when you have a franchise QB, sure the Colts did it, but seriously that 1st could've been used elsewhere...on their defense no doubt.
Both win, imo. The Colts needed a RB so that they can open up their playbook a little bit more. The Browns need all the tade bait they can get in order to jump up in the draft and finally get their franchise QB.

Furthermore, there is still the possibility that Norv have seen enough to conclude that Trent is a little bit overrated.
Exactly!!

Although I probably would trade a 1st for a Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson in a heartbeat. But the value for a RB isn't that great, a great O-line can make a great RB. Value for RB's drop even more when you have a franchise QB, sure the Colts did it, but seriously that 1st could've been used elsewhere...on their defense no doubt.
this^3 just spend a look at Alabama.
When was the last time a top 10 fantasy player drafted got traded mid-season?
Well regardless, he aint gonna run on the niner D.
Colts got hosed in this trade. Richardson has not shown elite RB status in the NFL yet, and most importantly you dont give up a 1st round pick for a RB.

Browns are in position to draft a QB and other positional help with two 1st, 3rd, 4th round picks next years draft. But they are lying when they say they are "not" tanking this year. they have no one lol.

I wonder how Weeden feels knowing that this move was made to 100% secure the francise QB in next years draft. So he knows he is done. Browns like to give up on their draft picks nice and early.
The one good player that the Browns have and they trade him away...
Who wins in this trade will depend upon how well the Colts do; as well as how well Richardson plays.

If the Colts go the playoffs and Richardson is a big part of that reason, then the Colts will look like geniuses. A mid-to-low first round pick isn't much for a good RB.

Now on the other hand if the Colts play subpar and/or Richardson gets injured then the trade will look good for the Browns, especially if it's a top ten pick.
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
wonder how Weeden feels knowing that this move was made to 100% secure the francise QB in next years draft. So he knows he is done. Browns like to give up on their draft picks nice and early.
We gave up on AJ Jenkins after a single year under the same coaching staff.
Weeden is given up by a new coaching staff, especially by an OC who is known for his crush on the strong-arm demanding air coryell system. Weeden's arm is not good enough for that. And Weeden is not good enough overall.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
lol i'm glad we're finally done with that.

our post steve young list is just as.... ....... with some of the same names......

Stenstrom
Garcia
Rattay
Dorsey
A Smith
Pickett
Dilfer
Hill
Weinke
O'Sullivan
T Smith
A Smith
C Kaepernick

i know alex is on there 2x, but thats how it went
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
The one good player that the Browns have and they trade him away...

at least they are making no bones about it, they are planing for the future and setting the stage to get that "franchise" quarterback
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

We can certainly relate to this.
I wouldn't trade Peterson for a first round pick, but that's the only RB I can think of that that wouldn't be the case. As a fan, I wouldn't want to see Gore (in his prime) get traded for a 1st, but as a GM, making a business decision, I might very well pull that trigger.

Except I believe part of the business decision process includes looking that potential impact that trade could have on your locker room and fan base. Its two games into the season and you've basically told the players that you intend to strip things down to the rafters and rebuild completely, meaning most of them won't be there for long. Guys are going to focus on staying healthy enough to survive FA next year, rather than laying it all out to win games imo. Maybe that rumor existed before this trade, but you've confirmed it in the most shocking way possible, while also completely mismanaging how that message gets sent (Trent finds out on the radio, seriously?).

The other reason I don't like this trade from the Browns perspective is that you've essentially announced a fire sale and committed yourself to getting a top QB prospect in next year's draft at any cost. If, by some chance, you end up outside the top 2 or 3 picks in the draft, any GM ahead of you is going to demand an absolute king's ransom in any trade. They know your fan base won't stand for anything less. You've got a weak hand in any trade talks from this point forward.
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
Everyone forgot the Browns traded up to draft Richardson in '12. Who gives picks away to move up - then trade the guy you coveted 18 games later? That's where the Browns lost in the deal.