LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 224 users in the forums

Colts trade for Trent Richardson

Shop 49ers game tickets
"In four games with Indianapolis, Richardson has rushed for 228 yards on 75 carries, an average of 3.0 yards per touch. According to Pro Football Focus, Richardson is ranked 49th among 54 qualifying halfbacks this season."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000267676/article/trent-richardson-a-bust-so-far-for-indianapolis-colts

Ouch! That definitely didn't go the way I thought it would when the trade happened. So far at least.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Oct 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM ]
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
"In four games with Indianapolis, Richardson has rushed for 228 yards on 75 carries, an average of 3.0 yards per touch. According to Pro Football Focus, Richardson is ranked 49th among 54 qualifying halfbacks this season."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000267676/article/trent-richardson-a-bust-so-far-for-indianapolis-colts

Ouch! That definitely didn't go the way I thought it would when the trade happened. So far at least.

Trent is 5'9 225 lbs.

He's a power runner.

The Colts run a zone blocking scheme.

You have to keep your head up and watch the blocks develop. Trent likes to lower the head and explode into the hole.

He clearly doesn't look comfortable, and he's slowing down to read the play.

He's losing all his momentum from the hand off which hurts a muscled up RB severely.

The speed a power runner builds at the hand off is his bread and butter.

It's what allows him to blast through holes, busting through tackles, and then getting 3-4 yard after contact.

IMO a good RB for the zone blocking scheme has to be at least 5'11 and an upright runner. The height is not near as important as running upright though.

Maybe Trent will get the hang of it.

Maybe not in which case I hope he stays healthy and finds the right team because I believe he could be one of the greats.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Maybe the Browns traded Richardson for screwing some of the FOs daughters

http://www.tmz.com/2013/11/12/trent-richardson-sex-tape-indianapolis-colts/

Its TMZ but who knows.
This might go down as one of the worst trades in the history of the NFL.
Trent Richardson has always been over rated. I got blasted right and left when he came out of college because I said he didn't warrant a top five selection. To draft a RB that high he had better be the second coming of Adrian Peterson and Richardson has never looked like anything more than a short yardage back to me. Even at Alabama it was easy to see he was benefitting from the best line in college football and playing weaker competition. He could bully defenders in college with his size. He offer nothing at this level other than 3 yards and a cloud of stink.
Originally posted by xela510:

I disagree. In exchange for a high first round draft pick, the Colts get a 22 year old RB who scored 11TDs last season with the BROWNS?
Originally posted by H41L5ATAN:

I disagree. In exchange for a high first round draft pick, the Colts get a 22 year old RB who scored 11TDs last season with the BROWNS?

a first round pick, for an average-to-poor RB
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Ouch! Thats sad.

Add cambell
Originally posted by xtm059:

a first round pick, for an average-to-poor RB

He's just now only beginning to digest the playbook though. Don't get me wrong he wasn't worth a Top 5 pick but to suggest it's the worst trade in NFL history? That's a bit of a stretch.
He's just now only beginning to digest the playbook though. Don't get me wrong he wasn't worth a Top 5 pick but to suggest it's the worst trade in NFL history? That's a bit of a stretch.

It's a pretty awful trade, all this does is prove that other than a few key legit prospects such as Adrian Peterson, RB is one of the least valuable and most inter-changeable positions in the NFL. You can find a guy in the 6th round to give you 3.0 ypc and then some.

I think Richardson definitely has talent but he needs to be in a system like the 49ers have, with the type of OL they have, let him run north-south with some massive maulers grading the road in front of him.

The Colts pick RBs like we pick WRs.
Originally posted by Eli_23:
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Ouch! Thats sad.

Add cambell

tell you what though, that kid they had earlier that got his acl torn is legit. That kid can ball. That tall lanky Kapernick looking guy with the Romney face.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
tell you what though, that kid they had earlier that got his acl torn is legit. That kid can ball. That tall lanky Kapernick looking guy with the Romney face.

Hoyer? He looked good, but there's no telling whether or not he can pull it off for a full season.
Never would have thought Eddy Lacy would turn into the better Pro RB over Richardson and Ingram.
Share 49ersWebzone