LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

Bigger,Faster,Stronger and Younger

Shop 49ers game tickets
I have the answer. Bring back T.O.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
lynch > gore , they have a slight edge on defense, but its close. rest is a push.

Your O-Line is much better than ours, plus CK with those big strides is much more dangerous on his feet than RW (No, I wouldn't trade QBs). But yeah Lynch > Gore. Our secondary also better. I think your pass rush much better. So it all kind of balances out, December will be an exciting one.
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Bigger + stronger + faster = Adderall

They used Adderall not HGH..
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Its that simple. the Seahawks are waaaay more physical than us period.
Seattle played a great game. Congrats to them, this was a great home win for them.

Yep. That's what I have been saying for a while.

Apart from being bigger, faster and stronger, if I may I would like to add younger too.

In essence, they are just a better version of the 9ers.

Oh come on now. No one should be saying that yet. They have the most epic home field advantage ever. They barely beat an 0-2 team last week. The 12th man is only allowed to play in 8 of their games.

My sentiments exactly. Yea, sure I'd like to crown them but unfortunately they don't get to play every game at home. Lots of teams go to Seattle and lay eggs. While losing sucks, this is something hardly unique to the 49ers. Get a grip.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We need to go back to the drawing board when playing them.

They were more physical. I'm not sure how to fix that.

We need another WR who can play against their BIG corners.

Seriously, their entire team looked ripped...who knew Sherman @ 6'3" could stay with VD stride-for-stride on a deep sideline pass. Normally, VD would have at least a 5 yard cushion and have to come back for an underthrown CK deep ball.

If we just discuss on personnel first, we need to set a single-minded new direction. Even up to this year's draft, although we did place more emphasis on physicality we are still drafting some small bodies. If Pete Carroll can come up with an idea of using 6'3"+ 220 lbs+ guys for corners and safeties, we can definitely go big too.

Starting with WRs, we go bigger, taller, faster and more physical, think Julio Jones, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall type guys. (as opposed to our usual smaller 5'10- 6'0" 180-200 lbs picks such as Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins and Quinton Patton)

RB, go for a power back, essentially a younger, bigger, faster, more explosive and physical version of Marshawn Lynch.(as opposed to our usual 5'7"-5'8" 195-200 lbs smaller backs like Hunter and LMJ)

In terms of draft strategy, go aggressive, trade up and only focus on say 3 high round specific prospects and put lower priorty on stockpiling picks in the short term until we can fill those roles with legit talents.
If we just discuss on personnel first, we need to set a single-minded new direction. Even up to this year's draft, although we did place more emphasis on physicality we are still drafting some small bodies. If Pete Carroll can come up with an idea of using 6'3"+ 220 lbs+ guys for corners and safeties, we can definitely go big too.

Starting with WRs, we go bigger, taller, faster and more physical, think Julio Jones, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall type guys. (as opposed to our usual smaller 5'10- 6'0" 180-200 lbs picks such as Kyle Williams, AJ Jenkins and Quinton Patton)

RB, go for a power back, essentially a younger, bigger, faster, more explosive and physical version of Marshawn Lynch.(as opposed to our usual 5'7"-5'8" 195-200 lbs smaller backs like Hunter and LMJ)

In terms of draft strategy, go aggressive, trade up and only focus on say 3 high round specific prospects and put lower priorty on stockpiling picks in the short term until we can fill those roles with legit talents.

Well, you may not have to wait long to get your wish. Pretty obvious at this point we'll be drafting a corner or two (or three) along with a safety to replace Whitner. Rogers is too slow, and Asomugah (sp) was just a stop-gap solution anyway.

Far as RB, don't forget about Lattimore....
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
Bigger + stronger + faster = Adderall

They used Adderall not HGH..

No Adderall is used to flush out the system of steroids much quicker, hence why it is a banned substance. Do you seriously think the NFL would ban Adderall to disallow players the abiity to focus longer; caffeine is more of a "stimulant" than Adderall; you can use that as an emergency inhaler for asthma. Anyhow, that's a whole other topic and one even Andy Reid addressed. Let's not go there here.

Hawks didn't even play that well on offense but made the most of their opportunities when they did...they took some deep shots, made the right calls in the RZ and won of the heals of an outstanding defensive performance. I felt your coaching staff called a much better game plan as well. It was a "nervous" game for both teams for the entire first half and even after the long delay.

They made the better second half adjustments as well...we went three-and-out and the Hawks went 80 yards and scored a TD. A job well done and hopefully we'll get back to playing Niner football again and see how things go in SF in December.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Marshawn Lynch is 5-11 and weighs 215. He ran the 40 yard dash in 4.46

You want a bigger and faster Lynch.

Top five leading rushers in NFL history

1. Emmitt Smith-- 18,355 yards

5-9--- 216
40 yd: 4.70

2. Walter Payton-- 16,726

5-10—200
40 yard:4.40

3. Barry Sanders--15,269

5-8---203
40 yard: 4.37-4.38

4. Curtis Martin--14,101

5-11—210
40 yard:4.44

5. LaDainian Tomlinson--13,684

5-10—220
40 yards: 4.46

edit: I forgot to mention that none of them are bigger than Lynch.

[ Edited by buck on Sep 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM ]
Originally posted by zaghawk:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
lynch > gore , they have a slight edge on defense, but its close. rest is a push.

Your O-Line is much better than ours, plus CK with those big strides is much more dangerous on his feet than RW (No, I wouldn't trade QBs). But yeah Lynch > Gore. Our secondary also better. I think your pass rush much better. So it all kind of balances out, December will be an exciting one.

Good post. Your secondary (and defense) is a nightmare. The worst part about it was that you were missing Clemons and Browner. That defense will be even better.

That home field advantage is crazy good, too. I don't see anyone coming in there to beat you this year... hopefully you don't have the HMA all throughout playoffs. Your fans are smart, too.. something that is majorly lacking in Candlestick. Quiet on offense, loud on defense.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
We need to go back to the drawing board when playing them.

They were more physical. I'm not sure how to fix that.

We need another WR who can play against their BIG corners.

easy... run the ball. they ran it 47 times to our 20 there was no reason for us to not run power run plays. none.

and they can't jam wr off the line of scrimmage if you run bunch formations which they did not.

and you can take advantage of the man to man by running wr screens which they did not at all.

the simple things they did not do they thought they were too smart and got too cute with all of the play calling. they robbed us of a good game. the defense did it's job and then some we shouldn't slight the defense and say seattle is totally better. their offense didn't do anything until the 4th quarter and it would have been a completely different game if our offense had did ANYTHING to put pressure on the seattle defense.

• buck
  • Veteran

Size does not play football. Size does not make a football player good. Good football players come in all sizes.

I already posted on the top five running backs in NFL history

Let's look at the wide receivers. You have frequently stated you want a wide receiver at least 6 feet and 3 inches and fast.

Even Jerry Rice does not really fit the size specifications that want. He just was not a bigger, faster wide receiver.

The goal is to have excellent receivers and running backs. Size is not the defining characteristic of a good wide receiver or running back.

Only two of the top 5 leading receivers in NFL history match your size preferences.

Top 5 leading receivers in NFL history

1. Jerry Rice 22,895

6-2 200

2. Terrell Owens 15,934

6-3--226

3. Randy Moss 15,292

6-4 215

4. Isaac Bruce 15,208

6-0 188

5. Tim Brown 14,934

6-0 195

I know we have been through this before. You have your point of view. I have mine.
[ Edited by buck on Sep 16, 2013 at 12:17 PM ]
we need to draft top flight wideouts next year. we are so undermanned at wide receiver its not even funny. they geared up to stop us in the draft the last few years, we must do the same. the nfc west is no joke and all the defenses in this division are for real
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we need to draft top flight wideouts next year. we are so undermanned at wide receiver its not even funny. they geared up to stop us in the draft the last few years, we must do the same. the nfc west is no joke and all the defenses in this division are for real

You are right, it isn't even funny. What we need are some top of the range type talents and not some psuedo 1st rounders.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

You are right, it isn't even funny. What we need are some top of the range type talents and not some psuedo 1st rounders.
exactly. no project players at WR. we are a great team now and our receivers are our bottleneck. draft some studs who are ready to play now. if we get a 2nd from alex smith (looks good so far) we should go WR and CB with the first two picks, depending on whos available. our only glaring weaknesses are WR and to a lesser extent but still much needed, CB
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Its that simple. the Seahawks are waaaay more physical than us period.
Seattle played a great game. Congrats to them, this was a great home win for them.

Yep. That's what I have been saying for a while.

Apart from being bigger, faster and stronger, if I may I would like to add younger too.

In essence, they are just a better version of the 9ers.

If you believe that, you don't know football. The 12th Man won this game.

This. Barely beat the panthers, and come on, the halftime score was only 5 - 0. One Niner touchdown would have put them on top. But the offense never got going, and the defense held up very well, especially considering for how long they were on the field for. The offense just needed to get a few more first downs, and stop trying to pound the ball when that wasn't working. The game is going to be night and day when it's at Candlestick, and hopefully Manningham and Crabtree will be back. THEN the hawks can start talking.
Share 49ersWebzone