Bigger,Faster,Stronger and Younger

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • buck
  • Veteran
whoops
[ Edited by buck on Sep 17, 2013 at 2:37 AM ]
  • vaden
  • Veteran
The biggest gap is between the coaching staffs. Carroll simply outcoaches Harbaugh, as did Coughlin and John Harbaugh in the playoffs. Harbaugh's a good coach but let's be honest, he had a lot of talent when he got here. Carroll inherited a bad team, and now the Seahawks are better and younger than us. And Wilson, at least at this point, is significantly better than Kaep.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:

Take the idea one step farther.

If you think that size and speed make a wide receiver good, you are sorely mistaken.

Calvin Johnson simply is not an elite wide receiver because of his physical dimensions or his speed.

If you think that, you are ignoring the skill set he brings to the game, but even more importantly you are ignoring the hours and hours of hard work that Johnson endured to develop that skill set.

The excessive stress on his physicality, on his combination of height, weight, and speed, is demeaning and almost insulting.

This simplistic focus on his physical tools ignores the intelligence, the exhaustive concentration to the details of the game, the disciplined work ethic, and rare desire to be great that Calvin Johnson and other elite players bring to the game.

There is no denying that most elite players have very good physical tools, but there are many players with very good physical tools that never even become good, much less, elite players.

At the end of the day what really distinguishes the elite players can not be found in numbers from the combine or numbers gotten with a tape measure, a scale, and a stop watch.

If you want to find the characteristics that distinguish the elite, you must look in their minds, their heart, and their guts.

This is not complicated. Anyone who has played the game or understands football knows this.

Lol wot. You're telling me if Calvin Johnson wasn't 6'5 240 lbs and ran a 4.3, he would still be an elite Receiver? With his hands and route running @ 6'0 200 running a 4.5 he would merely be Stevie Johnson
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ether:
Lol wot. You're telling me if Calvin Johnson wasn't 6'5 240 lbs and ran a 4.3, he would still be an elite Receiver? With his hands and route running @ 6'0 200 running a 4.5 he would merely be Stevie Johnson

I am saying that he is not an elite receiver solely because he is 6-5, 240 lbs. and ran a 4.3 40.

There is much more to being a elite receiver or player than being tall, heavy, and fast.
Originally posted by vaden:
The biggest gap is between the coaching staffs. Carroll simply outcoaches Harbaugh, as did Coughlin and John Harbaugh in the playoffs. Harbaugh's a good coach but let's be honest, he had a lot of talent when he got here. Carroll inherited a bad team, and now the Seahawks are better and younger than us. And Wilson, at least at this point, is significantly better than Kaep.
Harbaugh and his guys are the reason why we could benefit from our talent level. Harbaugh is the guy who managed to draft a future starter at QB and who managed to make him nfl-ready after one off-season. He was the guy who let Alex Smith live up to his potential.
What did Carroll do? Traded for Whitehurst...the Seahawks are good but slightly overrated. They went 3-5 on the road last season. Yes, they are competitive but they have still to prove more than that.

Under Harbaugh we reached the NFC championship and the Superbowl...but hey, just a good coach whereas Carroll is the real deal.
---
[ Edited by communist on Sep 17, 2013 at 6:05 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
I just saw an outstanding home field advantage and they took advantage if the situation. They were hot and we were not! Kinda like last year, but we still made it pretty far.
I have confidence that my 49ers will get a win on December 8th. Our defense played awesome, just not sure why the read option was such a big part of the game plan. Would love to see some big line packages come out and do some power running. We need a better offensive game plan, everything we did was predictable.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I have to say I'm INCREDIBLY disappointed at the lack of preparedness on the part of the coaching and offensive gameplan. The defense looked great, lost in the shuffle is the fact that the 49ers defense made Russell Wilson look like a 3rd round rookie starting his first NFL game for the vast majority of the game. Having a healthy Aldon and Justin certainly helped but the gameplan was to keep Wilson contained and keep him in the pocket as much as possible and it worked, damn well, like a blueprint for the rest of the NFL in shutting that offense down. However, a defense can only do so much when they keep being put in bad positions because of offensive turnovers and bonehead penalties. Looking at the turnover situation, this defense played REMARKABLY well last night, a hell of a game overall.

But the offense, that was an embarrassment. Roman looked like he was simply winging it, no innovation, no creativity, absolutely nothing to challenge the defense or to get Seattle out of their comfort zone. Seattle imposed their will on this offense and they looked utterly pathetic, like they were happy to rest on their laurels after the Green Bay game. Roman seemed like he had bought into the hype and seemed to be trying to replicate the gameplan against Green Bay....against a FAR better secondary. It was an absolute joke, this was a team that had curb-stomped the 49ers the last time they played and the offensive gameplanning was essentially mailed in.

It's results like last night's why I think Roman is incredibly overrated. He'll put together some tremendous gameplans against flawed defenses such as Buffalo last year, as well as Chicago, who in spite of their success and racking up turnovers early on, were highly overrated defensively. Green Bay this year, I'm sure he'll put together a brilliant gameplan to light up a spotty Colts defense this weekend, but when this guy gets put on the spot, when he truly has to gameplan against a high quality defense, he routinely craps his pants and puts together a mediocre gameplan. You can't say that isn't true either, this team simply goes into the fetal position against top-tier defenses, doesn't even look like the same team out there, just highly predictable playcalls that good defenses eat up. You can only get away with that so much.

What they've been doing against Seattle the last two times, flat out has not worked. I'm hoping, that they don't plan on hitting their heads against a wall the third time and expecting that the possible return of Manningham and Crabtree will all of a sudden make everything alright. They need to attack Seattle in a vastly different fashion than they do against a majority of teams. Seattle's defense is ideally setup to shutdown this team's normal offensive playcalling and that defense gets up for games against the 49ers like crazy.

I totally agree with this entire post. I'd like to add that I think the Gameplan that we employed at Detroit in 2011 and at home against the Lions in 2012 is the strategy we need to use. Let those over-pursuing D-lineman come at Kaep and run draws/Wham traps right where they used to be. I think this would have helped take the pressure off our Linemen and eventually opened things up down the seams and then outside the numbers..... Hindsight: 20/20
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by frankie:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by 94605NiNer:
Its that simple. the Seahawks are waaaay more physical than us period.
Seattle played a great game. Congrats to them, this was a great home win for them.

Yep. That's what I have been saying for a while.

Apart from being bigger, faster and stronger, if I may I would like to add younger too.

In essence, they are just a better version of the 9ers.

If you believe that, you don't know football. The 12th Man won this game.

If you believe it was only the noise and their fans, then you are in denial. I hate the Seahawks too, but you got to recognize what is going on here. Honestly, I think there is a good chance they may beat us at the Stick. Their team has grown, matured and are gradually moving into their prime. In both games, they have totally more than matched-up with any phase of our game and personnel. I just can't sit here and look at myself and say it didn't happen.

Yes, they are a good team. That is not a secret.

But the 49ers offense under Harbaugh & Roman makes its money off of pre-snap adjustments at the line, audibling into the second play called in the huddle (KILL KILL KILL!), and executing motion before the snap to create mismatches.

The 49ers CANNOT DO THAT CONSISTENTLY in an environment like Seattle. They simply can't hear all the calls. It simplifies the entire offense and makes us look very vanilla.

It's pretty damn simple. I don't know why fans can't see that after watching this team for two years in this offense. Yes, Seattle is good, but I think we beat them at Candlestick 8 times out of 10 if everyone is healthy.

But yea, Seattle is good. I'm just not gonna worry until they either blow us out at home or we have to play them in Seattle in the playoffs. It is what it is.

So, you are saying it was the pre-snap adjustments that got us blown out ? I would agree the pre-snap adjustments didn't help with getting the plays off, that much I would agree, but to get blown out because of it ? No. We have consistently been blown out twice now.

Well, let's see what happens in the home game in December then. So far everything that has happened in this game and the last game has pretty much been totally consistent. Getting blown out, dominated and ended up with a truckload of injuries. I am of the belief this could well happen at the Stick. If I am wrong, let me be wrong and I hope I am wrong too for the sake of the 9ers.

Yes, consistently blown out twice... IN SEATTLE.

How can you look at our offense over the past two years and just say, "Oh, it's just cause we're more talented." Harbaugh & Roman's offense RELIES on pre-snap adjustments. Every single damn play. KILL KILL KILL! When we can't do that, we lose.

I guarantee you... same two teams play on this night and we win. Easily.

So, wait a minute let me try to understand what you are saying. So, the fact Harbaugh relies a lot of pre-snap adjustments is Seattle's fault ?

If we had lost by a few points I would give you the benefit of doubt, but not in a consecutive blowout.

Let's hope you are right and I am wrong and we win the home game. Right now ? I just have a huge question mark on where we stand against them.

I'm not saying the 49ers couldn't have prepared better, but I don't think Seattle is the better team. I think their stadium gives them a HUGE advantage though, hence why almost no one beats them at home.

Their stadium is insane for crowd noise!!! Let peyton or brady lose there couple times they will make them quiet it down lmao

Brady DID lose there last year.

Yup needs to happen couple times for rule to be made :)

Share 49ersWebzone