LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

The USFL Announces Kickoff Date (2015)

Shop 49ers game tickets
http://theusfl.com/usfl-announces-2015-kickoff-date/

I did not exactly know where to put this thread but I just posted it in NFL talk. I just do not think it will be as promising as last time. The NFL seems too superior and powerful than it was before. I think at the time you had baseball "America's Pastime" in that era and the NFL did not get much attention as it does now. There was also two NFL strikes in the 80's that did not help the NFL much. What I do like is it has a chance to keep the NFL on their toes instead of having a monopoly on everything. Just think we can play Fantasy USFL football in a couple years lol.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
If you had the choice, would you stay on an NFL practice squad or Start in the USFL?
Originally posted by Muggins:
If you had the choice, would you stay on an NFL practice squad or Start in the USFL?

That is a good point! I wonder if this could tear teams with high quality depth (Like SF) apart when the league opens? Players will go where the money is.
[ Edited by NC49erfan82 on Sep 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM ]
Atleast we will have some type of football in the spring.

Depends on the pay.

Money money money.... What's the pay difference?
Man I thought I remember saying that the USFL as funded by the government back in the day and that's why they all had these huge deals that dwarfed the NFL's contracts

This is one of my favorite "ESPN 30 for 30" shows. So many things from the original USFL have since been adopted by the NFL and made the game into what we know it to be today! In my opinion, the original USFL grew too fast in an effort to compete with the NFL. Had it stayed in the Spring, I think it could have been successful.
Steve Young is still making a few million per year on the initial contract he signed with the original USFL's LA Express in 1984.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/steve-young-is-still-earning-millions-off-his-usfl-contract-from-1984/
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Tim Tebow 2015 USFL MVP
I remember some of those teams, the Oakland Invaders, Michigan Panthers (who merged with the Invaders), Phil/Baltimore Stars, Birmingham Stallions, San Antonio Gunslingers, LA Express, New Jersey Generals, etc. There used to be talk about a great QB from western Pennsylvania who had a one-syllable first name and 3-syllable last name, but it wasn't Dan Marino or Joe Montana, it was Chuck Fusina...he had been a good QB at Penn St. then a backup in the NFL, and then became a "star" in the USFL. And after Steve Young had been on the 49ers for a while, there was an article about him and how he was kind of a slob, and while reporter was at his house there were all these uncashed checks from the LA Express for hundreds of thousands of $$ just lying around the place.

USFL actually had some good ideas, good players, and good football, but Donald Trump and a couple other owners pushed hard for the switch to direct competition vs NFL in the fall/winter. Their thinking was they'd get huge TV contracts and NFL would eventually allow some franchises to merge, thereby making a bunch of money for all the USFL owners. Didn't work and the league folded.
I don't want to see this again. NFL only.
They should make a UKFL and stop shipping off NFL games to London...
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
yeah, baby.
Share 49ersWebzone