There are 171 users in the forums

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should the NFL take steps to reduce crowd noise in stadiums

Originally posted by boast:
oh and i am a sound expert. i'm an audio engineer with credentials on discogs.com

and there's this...

Built To Be Loud: A Chat With CenturyLink Field's Architect

But is all that noise solely The 12th Man's doing, or does it have to do with the architecture of CenturyLink?

"Well, it was built to be a great home field advantage," says Paul Greisemer, principal architectural director at AECOM, the firm that designed CenturyLink." The fact that it is loud is really kind of a result of a number of things that came about just through the design. It's on a very small site, comparatively to other stadiums, and because of that we had to compress the building very tightly. Fans are closer to the field than they are in most any NFL stadium today. So that combined with the desire to have a large roof covering, so fans are protected, really kind of combined the greatest of convergence of storms into a great environment."

Beyond the design, the materials used to build the stadium also contribute to the roar.

"It's a metal roof so it naturally is a very reflective surface. As is the seating bowl which is largely concrete. So there are a lot of those materials that are serving as sound mirrors, if you will, and bouncing the sound right back."

I asked Paul what where the loudest part of the stadium is.

"Luckily, it's right on the field, it seems, from all of the false starts that the visiting teams experience. The way the roof is angled, and the way the bowl captures all the sound that goes backwards and focuses it back towards the center of the stadium, you're pretty much going to get the maximum affect right at the players."

http://mynorthwest.com/874/2358028/Built-To-Be-Loud-A-Chat-With-CenturyLink-Fields-Architect

Thanks for producing evidence that supports my case. Memphis is the one saying it couldnt possibly happen, I'm saying that it could. I'm not trying to claim the Seahawks are the best or anything like that. Just that the record is legit.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by London_Pride:
Thanks for producing evidence that supports my case. Memphis is the one saying it couldnt possibly happen, I'm saying that it could. I'm not trying to claim the Seahawks are the best or anything like that. Just that the record is legit.

yes C-Link's crowd noise is artificially enhanced by the parabolic like shape of the roof.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
And I wonder why that's not the record. There must be more variables to the equation that you googled..

Of course there is, just wanted you to be aware of the theoretical maximum 67000 sound sources could produce.

Exactly so there are other factors which limit the noise level... So the equation that you googled has no merit and thus doesn't provide you with much of an argument ,because it's based off of the theoretical maximum correct? It's not taking into account the other factors such as distance. Interesting indeed. ,
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Exactly so there are other factors which limit the noise level... So the equation that you googled has no merit and thus doesn't provide you with much of an argument ,because it's based off of the theoretical maximum correct? It's not taking into account the other factors such as distance. Interesting indeed. ,

I showed that if the acoustics were perfect and there was no sound loss then each fan would only have to reach 40dB to break the record. I've also shown that if everyone hit the maximum and there was no sound loss then the record would be 222.5 dB. My point is that the truth lies somewhere between those 2 statement.

You seem to want to believe Memphis when he has been completely unable to offer any evidence as to why the record is false. He was then torpedoed by his mate who posted how the stadium would help in reaching the record. It's not rocket science is it? Or brain surgery for that matter.
[ Edited by London_Pride on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM ]
yes C-Link's crowd noise is artificially enhanced by the parabolic like shape of the roof.

Do you agree with Memphis' that the record is impossible then or not? For the Seahawks, Chiefs or Galatasaray?
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

Do you agree with Memphis' that the record is impossible then or not? For the Seahawks, Chiefs or Galatasaray?

i agree each of those team's stadiums have a hand in artificially enhancing the crowd noise.
i agree each of those team's stadiums have a hand in artificially enhancing the crowd noise.

So you agree the recorded noise levels were legitimate sound albeit possibly enhanced by the structures?
[ Edited by London_Pride on Dec 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

So you agree the recorded noise levels were legitimate sound albeit possibly enhanced by the structures?

absolutely. and depending where mics were placed, the levels could have possibly been louder or quieter. i would be interested in what areas Guinness did their testing.

like i said earlier, C-Link's roof acts much like how a parabolic mic concentrates sound to one area which creates an amplification of that sound. that area happens to be the playing field.
I would think something should be done cause if a team cant communicate the team uses timeouts, wrong plays , and is dysfuctional... I think the meaning to-- home field advantage---( place that a player feel more comfortable due to practices and same surroundings. If think if every home team put croud noise through their intercom system an managed it for when the opposing team is on offence and kept it a secret or hid it more teams would have a 12th man... and I think it would depent on the team of how much they are hyped for being a good team......
Originally posted by okieniner:
I would think something should be done cause if a team cant communicate the team uses timeouts, wrong plays , and is dysfuctional... I think the meaning to-- home field advantage---( place that a player feel more comfortable due to practices and same surroundings. If think if every home team put croud noise through their intercom system an managed it for when the opposing team is on offence and kept it a secret or hid it more teams would have a 12th man... and I think it would depent on the team of how much they are hyped for being a good team......

secret intelegence

conspiracy theory

conspiracy theory

pass it on......................... need to be fair...... lol not spy gate -- noise gate scandal
I know sound mirrors, they have them on the south / east coast here in the UK, they were used to detect incoming bombers before the advent of radar.

What do you think accounts for Arrowheads noise then? The extra 12k people / the bowl shape? I think comparing the stadia and the lack of obvious acoustic amplification the KC record is impressive.
pass it on......................... need to be fair...... lol not spy gate -- noise gate scandal

Are you feeling OK?
Yep I'm in favor of speaker helmets.
Share 49ersWebzone