There are 180 users in the forums

Sideline Hits...

Shop 49ers game tickets
This weekend we saw two games where sideline hits played a big part in the out come in the game (SF v. GB, TB v. NYJ). It seems like quarterbacks are going for the sidelines a lot more these days and defenses STILL keep making contact despite the fact the QBs are highly protected by the league. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more players bolting along the sideline and then jump out of bounds as soon as they see the defender closing in, to try and draw the 15-yard UR call. Thoughts?
[ Edited by 24plus25er on Sep 10, 2013 at 3:05 PM ]
What?
Originally posted by kingairta:
What?

He is saying players are baiting defenders into late hits on the sidelines.

I agree, the solution is another retarded rule. If you fake going out of bounds and cut it inside, 15yd penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct from the spot of the foul, or more severe the LoS.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by kingairta:
What?

He is saying players are baiting defenders into late hits on the sidelines.

I agree, the solution is another retarded rule. If you fake going out of bounds and cut it inside, 15yd penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct from the spot of the foul, or more severe the LoS.

What?
Sorry if my thoughts came across incoherent, lol. I will retype this when i get home.
I hear what you're saying. Players run a long the sidelines, and at the last second, step out when the defender is already in the action of pushing/hitting them.

Nothing wrong with it in my book. Defenders have to become more aware of it, especially in certain situations where players have to run out bounds to stop the clock.

That's why Lavonte David is an idiot. No way Geno Smith was going to try and evade him. He had to go out of bounds to stop the clock and David foolishly pushed him late.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM ]
I see what he's saying. It's like the Geno Smith penalty somewhat.

The runner runs along the edge of the sideline then right before a defensive player is about to contact them, they sneak out of bounds. If the defensive player pushes them, then they get a 15 yard personal foul.

I find that annoying myself, if you're going out of bounds, go out of bounds. Don't walk the tight rope then expect a penalty when a defender drops the ax on you a millisecond after you go out of bounds. It can be game changing as we saw in the Jets game.

On the other hand though, defensive players have to know. Just run them out of bounds and meet them at that point as fast as possible without allowing the cut back.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
A 250lb LB running full speed to knock the player out of bounds and told to stop, step aside at the last second or within a split second...these athletes are so amazingly quick, shifty, nimble and if that LB doesn't hit them, they "could" get an extra yard or two which gets them the first down

Geno Smith should not have been a late hit because it was a close call
Matthews flew from two yards in play to two yards out of play...obvious late hit
  • Chico
  • Veteran
¿Que?
Originally posted by Youngb:
I see what he's saying. It's like the Geno Smith penalty somewhat.

The runner runs along the edge of the sideline then right before a defensive player is about to contact them, they sneak out of bounds. If the defensive player pushes them, then they get a 15 yard personal foul.

I find that annoying myself, if you're going out of bounds, go out of bounds. Don't walk the tight rope then expect a penalty when a defender drops the ax on you a millisecond after you go out of bounds. It can be game changing as we saw in the Jets game.

On the other hand though, defensive players have to know. Just run them out of bounds and meet them at that point as fast as possible without allowing the cut back.

What?

[ Edited by TexasGuero49 on Sep 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone