LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

The Derek Carrier Haircut thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I would love to see Carrier beat Celek for a roster spot. Celek is just a solid blocker tho

Derek made some spectacular catches in OTAs. Fwtw.
Originally posted by ethan:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I would love to see Carrier beat Celek for a roster spot. Celek is just a solid blocker tho

Derek made some spectacular catches in OTAs. Fwtw.

Great to know...I had him making our 53 as an H-back. he had some positive reports late last season so it sounds like he's picking up where he left off. Keep bringing the info/reports as you find it.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Carrier was really raw, coming out of DIII. He's still only 23. Just a couple weeks older than Patton. 4.5 speed at 250 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. They signed UDFA Kevin Greene from USC, who fits the same mold. 6-3, 250, 4.5 40 at his Pro Day workout. Greene played defense in college, but looked really good catching the ball when teams worked him out at TE.

Thanks for the great info. I don't know too much about him or seen him play much. What I do know was that Colin was an explosive quarterback when we had another speedy tight end playing along side Vernon Davis. I am really looking forward to seeing these young players play in pre-season.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Draft Scout has Kevin Greene at 4.4 for his 40, which is Vernon Davis territory for a guy who was 6-3, 247. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90500&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE
Draft Scout has Kevin Greene at 4.4 for his 40, which is Vernon Davis territory for a guy who was 6-3, 247. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90500&draftyear=2014&genpos=TE

That's a freak!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Looks like he's a bigger Chris Harper. From what I read about Chris is that he's really doing well in Green Bay. We'll see. If Kevin has the hands to go along with that speed, he might bump out some of the other veterans out there.
  • ethan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
That's a freak!

Would have been the best time for TE (and 3 cone as well) at the Combine. The average TE there was 6-4, 254, so he isn't small for the position, really.
That's a freak!

Would have been the best time for TE (and 3 cone as well) at the Combine. The average TE there was 6-4, 254, so he isn't small for the position, really.

If the height/weight above is accurate, he is similar in size to Vernon.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Looks like he's a bigger Chris Harper. From what I read about Chris is that he's really doing well in Green Bay. We'll see. If Kevin has the hands to go along with that speed, he might bump out some of the other veterans out there.

Never understood why we brought in an ideal H-back and instantly let him walk. Sounds like he's panning out now though...
Kaepernick did enjoy a few strong moments during the day. He connected with tight end Derek Carrier on a wheel route at the expense of slot cornerback Darryl Morris. In one of the final periods of the session, Kaepernick rolled to his right and rifled a back-corner touchdown pass to wide receiver Devon Wylie during an 11-on-11 period. Wylie was able to get free from cornerback Tramaine Brock's coverage.

Great news about Carrier. Keep it up kid!

Also, good news about Wylie (some NFL experience)...he seems like he could be a very good KO/PR and play the slot WR position as well. There could be one hell of a battle at the slot WR position this year.

Like it, He's got some good raw talent
Lets see what can be brought out of him
Originally posted by swayze:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Damn shame Al's Son gets hazed every year.

Seriously though, what the f**k is up with Mark Davis' hair?
Yeah, im not the one to make fun of others, but its time to put a hat on and even some shades
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Not so unwarranted anymore .

June 23, 2014
With or without an extended holdout by starting 49ers tight end Vernon Davis, a name to know is Derek Carrier. The tight end from tiny Beloit College in Wisconsin has been released twice (Raiders and Eagles), however he is an athletic marvel, very intelligent and a hard worker.Last year, the 6-4, 240-pound Carrier spent time on the 49ers practice squad and active roster. He will challenge Garrett Celek for a roster spot and possibly push backup tight end Vance McDonald for playing time. A former receiver at Beloit, Carrier has a 38-inch vertical leap and a broad jump of 10 feet, 2 inches.

For his size, he's quick in small spaces, catches the ball with ease, and could be a viable red zone target with his leaping ability and masterful route running. Where Carrier needs to improve is in-line blocking, something he didn't do as a Beloit Buccaneer.

However, 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman said Carrier has greatly improved.

"… the fundamentals, the technique, he's made worlds of progress," Roman said. "He's more than a leaper. This isn't broad jumping. There are a lot of things that go into that position. But, he has good range though."

At nearly 240 he ran a 4.51 40-yard at the combine, which isn't in Davis' stratosphere, however Carrier could make up for it with solid route running and smarts. Going into his senior year, Carrier was on the dean's list for six straight semesters while playing football, basketball and indoor track.

Carrier also likes to spend time in the trainer's room, not because he's injured, but so he can learn more about athletic training. After football, Carrier plans to go back to school and earn a doctorate in physical therapy.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/06/23/49ers-tight-end-derek-carrier-is-a-named-to-remember/
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DeUh:
Not so unwarranted anymore .

June 23, 2014
With or without an extended holdout by starting 49ers tight end Vernon Davis, a name to know is Derek Carrier. The tight end from tiny Beloit College in Wisconsin has been released twice (Raiders and Eagles), however he is an athletic marvel, very intelligent and a hard worker.Last year, the 6-4, 240-pound Carrier spent time on the 49ers practice squad and active roster. He will challenge Garrett Celek for a roster spot and possibly push backup tight end Vance McDonald for playing time. A former receiver at Beloit, Carrier has a 38-inch vertical leap and a broad jump of 10 feet, 2 inches.

For his size, he's quick in small spaces, catches the ball with ease, and could be a viable red zone target with his leaping ability and masterful route running. Where Carrier needs to improve is in-line blocking, something he didn't do as a Beloit Buccaneer.

However, 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman said Carrier has greatly improved.

"… the fundamentals, the technique, he's made worlds of progress," Roman said. "He's more than a leaper. This isn't broad jumping. There are a lot of things that go into that position. But, he has good range though."

At nearly 240 he ran a 4.51 40-yard at the combine, which isn't in Davis' stratosphere, however Carrier could make up for it with solid route running and smarts. Going into his senior year, Carrier was on the dean's list for six straight semesters while playing football, basketball and indoor track.

Carrier also likes to spend time in the trainer's room, not because he's injured, but so he can learn more about athletic training. After football, Carrier plans to go back to school and earn a doctorate in physical therapy.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/06/23/49ers-tight-end-derek-carrier-is-a-named-to-remember/

You've been giving us some great info on the players. Too bad I can't give you reputation points like the official board can. Keep it up!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Never understood why we brought in an ideal H-back and instantly let him walk. Sounds like he's panning out now though...

H - back has to block and catch, I suspect his blocking wasn't up to the other h-backs/TE's standards and his catching definitely needed work. Anyway, it's not like we lost Brent Jones or Dave Casper. I think Derek Carrier and some of the UDFA rookies have just as much potential as Harper.
Share 49ersWebzone