LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 392 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
Why are people assuming it's a seventh? As I understand it, it's a conditional pick. Has there been any new information to indicate that it's definitely a seventh?
This thread is full of hilarity. Overreacting because a guy dominated a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string guys that aren't even on a team anymore, and we trade him for something of value and everyone hates it. He hasn't shown anything in 2 years except for 1 meaningless preseason game and everyone thinks we traded Aldon Lite. Lemonier will make you all forget Cam very soon.
Another interesting tidbit about this trade pointed out by Matt Barrows. This trade means that only two members of our 2012 draft class remain in LMJ and Looney. Guess the front office is trying to take a mulligan on that draft class and still get something out of it long term.
Originally posted by cciowa:
thank you bret, people like you jimdrink and of course 520 are doing a good job of spelling out the probable plan and factors that led into the decision of trading two backers. i will not speak for anyone else but for me,, the reason why i am hyper sensitive to the trades is because i am still stinging so much from last year when brooks and smith got hurt , still had to play and we went backwards . i just think in the grand scheme of things,, i really really need to get the season started so i can actually SEE the rotation and the new guys who are in those positions. right now i can only go around and around in my mind and that is where i spin out concerns, which may be unfounded. the worst place that things that can come out of is my mind

Think of it this way, signing Harper now keeps Brett Swain off this team later on in the season haha

In terms of depth a good rule of thumb is having a backup for every starting spot. 22 starters + 22 backups +kicker & punter & Long snapper and youre already above the active roster #. Then factor guys like Snyder who can back up multiple positions or Dixon who can serve as FB and it allows you to stack other positions, usually DB's & WR's as they tend to get hurt more often.
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
Originally posted by bret:
Folks need to keep some perspective. Johnson was considered at the time a 2nd or 3rd round talent who fell due to character issues. He didn't perform well for the Niners until the third preseason game. Then his blow-up performance against the 2nd and 3rd stringers on a bad o-line. His value may never be higher than it is right now. And the team is taking advantage of that by moving him now. They see him in the locker room and on the practice field. They know why he's underperformed up until now.

Finally in Lemonier, we got a guy with an amazing explosive first step. He's raw and ran himself out of a couple plays, but he's going to be a contributor. Skuta is a serviceable back-up as well who gives us quality special teams performance. I don't understand why there's so little trust that this front office and coaching staff knows what they're doing, when all the evidence we've seen points to them one of the best if not THE best at evaluating their players.

If we get anything better than a 7th round pick, we should be thrilled (and if we only get a 7th, it's hardly a loss considering he wasn't likely to be active on Sundays). And unlike this year when we "didn't need" all those picks (and notice how that is working out!), next year there's liable to be a pretty big roster turnover, and these picks are going to really help.

I understand the concept of "highest value now," but if his highest value is a 7th round pick, I'd rather roll the dice on Cam turning into solid depth.

I see it like this: If Lemonier shows to be a legit pass rusher this year, we can cut ties with Brooks, save a ton on the cap and have Cam back up Aldon and Lemonier.

Side note: Lets not forget that Cam has sickle cell.

Cam has sickle cell trait. My wife and 3 kids have it. It does nothing to impair an individual. The sickle cell disease is what my bro in law has and that can be severely debilitating and those folk tend to only live to the 5th decade in life. TO and Santonio Holmes have trait and they are WR after all. Good ones at that

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/traits.html
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Why are people assuming it's a seventh? As I understand it, it's a conditional pick. Has there been any new information to indicate that it's definitely a seventh?

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet7m The deal that sent LB Cam Johnson to the Colts brought the #49ers back a 7th rounder, which Johnson was last year.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:
This thread is full of hilarity. Overreacting because a guy dominated a bunch of 2nd and 3rd string guys that aren't even on a team anymore, and we trade him for something of value and everyone hates it. He hasn't shown anything in 2 years except for 1 meaningless preseason game and everyone thinks we traded Aldon Lite. Lemonier will make you all forget Cam very soon.
i respectfully disagree.. i have seen a bit of shrillness, and that mainly came from me early. but i really think alot of guys are just trying to understand why this is done and what is the plan should we run into injuries. That is why i have been asking alot of questions to alot of people on this. the more input i get and the less i rely on my own instincts the better
Originally posted by GNielsen:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/374577726243364864

Our special teams better be great Seely
Hm, who did we have backing up the OLB spot last year?
LOL @ all the fans saying Cam only had 1 good game. Anyhow if you spend a year developing a 7th rounder who then finally performs you should then expect more than next years 7th rounder. Period.

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
The 49ers strike again. We set ourselves up for another dynamite draft. Having the ability to move up the draft board so many times was key to the 49ers successful draft. Not only that but having so many picks is always a plus. You have a better chance of hitting on 11-12 guys than 7, it helps when you have so many picks in the middle rounds too.

I don't get why people are getting so upset about trading our 5th and 6th olbs. Lemonier has more upside than both of these guys and skuta showed he can get after the passer. Lemonier Skuta Brooks and smith is a better rotation than haralson smith and brooks when they were all healthy and no one was complaining about that. Keeping 6 olbs was just out of the question, glad the 49ers got a 7th for Haralson and I'm glad the 49ers got something for Johnson.
good thoughts and thanks for spelling it out with actual names for people like me! even with the minor concerns i have about skuta never playing outside and putting all our eggs in the basket of the lemon man,, you are very right. that is a much better rotation than what we were running with at the end of last year. thank you for your good thoughts cc

Thanks I appreciate it cc. The chances of aldon and brooks both getting injured again IMO is very slim. Having 5 Olb's would've been great, and Haralson or Johnson would have been a hell of a 4th olb to have, but Cam probably wouldn't have seen the field. Lemonier was more impressive than either and is a rookie that is still pretty raw. He is a starting caliber talent that is a 3rd string OLB.

In the next 2 offseasons we could lose some very good football players. Having the amo and maneuverability to move and down as you please to get the players that fit your system will be key to keeping this franchise elite.

Bring on the season I am so stoked to be a 49er fan right now. Last year at the stick we gotta get #6!
This was a great move and as discussed in the previous topics, it was a move to gain a Draft pick and Harper from hawks.
Yea seemed like the guy was coming around. But once again folks are letting preseason reps vs 3rd stringers cloud thier judgement. Might have flipped him for a 4th rounder. Can't be mad at that. Let's see what the compensation ends up being.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
Think of it this way, signing Harper now keeps Brett Swain off this team later on in the season haha

In terms of depth a good rule of thumb is having a backup for every starting spot. 22 starters + 22 backups +kicker & punter & Long snapper and youre already above the active roster #. Then factor guys like Snyder who can back up multiple positions or Dixon who can serve as FB and it allows you to stack other positions, usually DB's & WR's as they tend to get hurt more often.
thank you and i do totally get the multi task aspect. that is why people like skuta and dahl were signed and stuck , they play two spots and special teams,, that is why dixon stays as he is a good short yardage guy and special teams person.. that is also the reason why ginn was dispatched,, he was a one trick pony who did nothing as a wide out and lost his kick return job to james so all he did was punt returns which he sucked at to. a one trick pony will only take you to a few towns
tanking for clowney.
Share 49ersWebzone