LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 191 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Scoots:
There are 5 WRs on the team. And 4 TE now.

This is what happens to teams when they are as stacked as the 49ers ... you simply can't keep all of the players you like.

Harper is going to play WR.. 6 wr's, 3 te's
Is Harper a returner? Good gunner?
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by jreff22:
rather drop Skuta

Me too, but I guess Skuta could be moved to OLB for emergency back up.

Skuta is an OLB
all his career he was a inside linebacker, he was signed to back up willis and his henchman and play special teams. for whatever reason the coaches decided he would become a outside backer so thats what he did in pre season. i guess the theory is like, dahl at safety,, he can back up two spots plus play special teams which is something we did not have last year.
Yep and Stupar was projected as an OLB but was moved to ILB so I guess both guys can give us that versatility plus ST. Harbalke likes those types of guys.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bret:
Folks need to keep some perspective. Johnson was considered at the time a 2nd or 3rd round talent who fell due to character issues. He didn't perform well for the Niners until the third preseason game. Then his blow-up performance against the 2nd and 3rd stringers on a bad o-line. His value may never be higher than it is right now. And the team is taking advantage of that by moving him now. They see him in the locker room and on the practice field. They know why he's underperformed up until now.

Finally in Lemonier, we got a guy with an amazing explosive first step. He's raw and ran himself out of a couple plays, but he's going to be a contributor. Skuta is a serviceable back-up as well who gives us quality special teams performance. I don't understand why there's so little trust that this front office and coaching staff knows what they're doing, when all the evidence we've seen points to them one of the best if not THE best at evaluating their players.

If we get anything better than a 7th round pick, we should be thrilled (and if we only get a 7th, it's hardly a loss considering he wasn't likely to be active on Sundays). And unlike this year when we "didn't need" all those picks (and notice how that is working out!), next year there's liable to be a pretty big roster turnover, and these picks are going to really help.
thank you bret, people like you jimdrink and of course 520 are doing a good job of spelling out the probable plan and factors that led into the decision of trading two backers. i will not speak for anyone else but for me,, the reason why i am hyper sensitive to the trades is because i am still stinging so much from last year when brooks and smith got hurt , still had to play and we went backwards . i just think in the grand scheme of things,, i really really need to get the season started so i can actually SEE the rotation and the new guys who are in those positions. right now i can only go around and around in my mind and that is where i spin out concerns, which may be unfounded. the worst place that things that can come out of is my mind
This is awesome, cause with our front office, when the 49ers get a 7th, you could practically call it a 4th (Bruce Miller, Cam Jonhson; both drafted 7th, both will have a starting job in 2013).
How do we know Harper is going to play WR?
I think it's unlikely Cam starts for the Colts.

Where else would he play?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

maybe the change him to OLB and trade him for a 7th.
Originally posted by bret:
Folks need to keep some perspective. Johnson was considered at the time a 2nd or 3rd round talent who fell due to character issues. He didn't perform well for the Niners until the third preseason game. Then his blow-up performance against the 2nd and 3rd stringers on a bad o-line. His value may never be higher than it is right now. And the team is taking advantage of that by moving him now. They see him in the locker room and on the practice field. They know why he's underperformed up until now.

Finally in Lemonier, we got a guy with an amazing explosive first step. He's raw and ran himself out of a couple plays, but he's going to be a contributor. Skuta is a serviceable back-up as well who gives us quality special teams performance. I don't understand why there's so little trust that this front office and coaching staff knows what they're doing, when all the evidence we've seen points to them one of the best if not THE best at evaluating their players.

If we get anything better than a 7th round pick, we should be thrilled (and if we only get a 7th, it's hardly a loss considering he wasn't likely to be active on Sundays). And unlike this year when we "didn't need" all those picks (and notice how that is working out!), next year there's liable to be a pretty big roster turnover, and these picks are going to really help.

I understand the concept of "highest value now," but if his highest value is a 7th round pick, I'd rather roll the dice on Cam turning into solid depth.

I see it like this: If Lemonier shows to be a legit pass rusher this year, we can cut ties with Brooks, save a ton on the cap and have Cam back up Aldon and Lemonier.

Side note: Lets not forget that Cam has sickle cell.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by susweel:
you guys need to look at this way we traded Cam for a 7th and Harper.

That is great way to look at it. Well done, sus.

Holy s**t..sus said something intelligent and positive.
Originally posted by strickac:
For the Colts, this doesnt sound like great news for Bjoern Werner. They spent a 1st to pair him up with Mathis. That must not be going so great for them. Carradine was FSU's top pass rushers, not Werner.

Don't worry, Trent got the talented guy a round later, but we'll throw our OLB fodder your way for a draft pick.

The Colts have appear to be desperate to improve their pass rush. Hopefully Trent squeezed a good deal out of this situation.

Statistically Werner was the better pass rusher. This trade has nothing to do with Werner, he'll start day one. He'll even have a better year than Mathis.
I think it's unlikely Cam starts for the Colts.

Maybe not but he will dress which he would not have done here unless there are injuries.
Originally posted by susweel:

maybe the change him to OLB and trade him for a 7th.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Yep and Stupar was projected as an OLB but was moved to ILB so I guess both guys can give us that versatility plus ST. Harbalke likes those types of guys.
leaky,, i am depending on you because you are a good poster and are nice enough to have patience with people like me.. now i only saw the niners on tv when they played the vikes . I hear alot of things pro and con about stupar. Now in your opinion(and anyone else).. what is the bottom line on this guy? how did we get him? he must have done good things to get this far? some guys hate him but in your opinion can he be a respectable player for us? last year we did not even have respectability with our backup backers... also i think moody will be a good backer for us? i think he is mainly a inside type of guy. i am sorry, those are alot of questions and i do not blame you if you want to ignore them but appreciate any feedback you have on this stupar guy who i read alot of comments about but have no clue about him
Share 49ersWebzone