There are 220 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Garce
  • Veteran
It's a conditional pick, so depending on if he starts or how many games he plays it could be better, not bad for a former 7th rounder that was on the fence in camp to make the team. Hopefully we get a higher pick but at least we got something.
What idiot would trade a 4th rounder for Daryl Stone-Hands Jackson? Oh that's right... WE did.
Where did all these rabid Cam Johnson fans come from?! Prior to the Chargers game most of you didn't even have the man making the 53...
Originally posted by sdcindy:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I would have tried to get a 4th out of this at least. We got robbed for a 7th.
What GM would trade a 4th round pick for a guy who has zero tackles in the regular season??????

In my mind we got a 4th and a 7th for him. Because if Cam doesn't go, we don't have a roster spot for 4th round pick Harper.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
What idiot would trade a 4th rounder for Daryl Stone-Hands Jackson? Oh that's right... WE did.

His career numbers up to that point justified the price.
Originally posted by NCommand:
In the winners and losers threads, had him as a winner in 3 of 4 games. He played against all strings and much more towards the end and got better and better.Also it wasn't who he faced as much as it was what he was doing...how he was doing it. He had come a long long ways from an I.R. year.

Yeah, he has potential but let's face it this year he would have been inactive every game. We weren't going to have 5 OLB active. Skuta will only be active because he is a ST guy. Lemonier will be the backup. I think what hurt Cam is he wasn't a standout ST player. Like I said really don't think they liked having 5 OLB's. I bet 4 is there ideal #. 3 last year wasn't enough for them. Also, I'm starting to think they really don't want 5 ILBs either but think Stupar wow'd them enough and Moody looked promising enough plus him being a 6th rounder and ST guy helped. If we would sign someone else (marecic?) Stupar could be the first to go. Also, TJE or Tukuafu will likely be gone when Dobbs comes back.

Also, I think all of us at one point or another over value our guys. If Haralson is worth a 7th then we are lucky to get a 7th for Johnson. Hopefully its incentive based so if he does well we can get a 6th.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Where did all these rabid Cam Johnson fans come from?! Prior to the Chargers game most of you didn't even have the man making the 53...

Because Mayock had him as the 50th best player in a weak draft. I don't understand the love for Gray.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Can someone help me to understand this- Parys Haralson is clearly a starter at OLB in the NFL, has some good seasons under his belt, and is pretty good against the run. I don't know how many starts he has, but I'd venture to say over 40. We traded him for a 7th round pick. How on earth is a player who has never played a down in the NFL, also a 7th round pick himself, supposed to be traded for more than what we got for Parys Haralson? Then we have Anquan Boldin who we got for a sixth, without whom, the Ravens do not win the Super Bowl. What trade value chart are these guys using? Cam was going to rarely play this season, if he was ever going to be active at all.

On the flip side, we lost Marquise Gray (I was disappointed), but we got someone else who we could be developing to be the next Delanie Walker (in terms of versatility). Trent Baalke is playing chess on three levels with the league.

I also must add that I LOVE the way Baalke has salvaged the 2012 draft.

Haralson is not clearly a starter. He is a solid player with poor pash-rushing skills, that will soon be on the decline due to his age. If you don't have a decent player in the position, then he has value to you - like the Saints. He's old, and he isn't going to become a good pash rusher at this point in his career. For those reasons, a 7th sounds right.

Boldin would have never left his team if he had a lower salary cap figure, but he was the 3rd WR for the Ravens, and they weren't prepared to invest that much money in the WR position. So for salary cap reasons they were going to have to cut him, but instead traded him for a 6th. In addition, he is old, and on a 1 year contract, so that along with his salary did not make him an attractive option. 49ers valued his production on the field, and felt they had the salary cap this year to cover the 6 million salary. It ended up being a stroke of pure genius when Crabtree went down and he became our #1 WR.

Cam Johnson is young, and has managed to make a team for the past 2 years. He has also demonstrated some pash rush skill. He has not reached his limit. He could potentially become an above average performer in the league. How many 7th round picks can say that after 2 years? Personally, I think trading him away for a 7th is too low. I think at least a 6th would be more reasonable, but I understand that they didn't want to have so many OLB on the roster. So the Colts instead of having a 7th next year on a player that may not even make the team, instead have a veteran player that has some skills. I would definitely make that deal if I were the Colts and needed depth or a starter at OLB.

P.S. Has it confirmed that he went for a 7th? I haven't seen that report yet.
I think we should have at least gotten a 5th or 6th round pick minimum for Cam, based on demand for pass rushers/olb in general. But on the same hand if TB uses that pick and moves up in the draft next year and finds us a steal ppl will rave about how genius he is.
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I think we should have at least gotten a 5th or 6th round pick minimum for Cam, based on demand for pass rushers/olb in general. But on the same hand if TB uses that pick and moves up in the draft next year and finds us a steal ppl will rave about how genius he is.

I am not understanding why many posters think we settled for a 7th round pick if "supposedly" other GM's would have paid more. Don't you think Baalke would have traded for a 6th or better if that was available?

t not every one could be on the team but I'm not understanding or agreeing with some of there moves. You let go Lawrence okoye, which would've been a good practice pick up instead of flirting with him. Hawkins showed good ball security and took some nice hits and still scored. Cam Johnson out shined at San Diego and nows he's gone for a pick. They'll are nice back ups. If they wanted a h-back they should've stuck with grey. Don't get why harbaugh wants the whole dam team from Stanford. Who the heck is this Owen fellow
[ Edited by Primetime81 on Sep 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM ]
typical of these boards our GM manages to squeeze extra draft picks out of guys we were going to have to cut and they complain because its not good enough.
It's too bad Baalke undervalued Blake Constanzo and didn't pay him. Then signing Skuta wouldn't have been necessary and Cam Johnson would be our fourth OLB right now.
[ Edited by SFrush on Sep 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM ]
Originally posted by Primetime81:
Not not every one could be on the team but I'm not understanding or agreeing with some of there moves. You let go Lawrence okoye, which would've been a good practice pick up instead of flirting with him. Hawkins showed good ball security and took some nice hits and still scored. Cam Johnson out shined at San Diego and nows he's gone for a pick. They'll are nice back ups. If they wanted a h-back they should've stuck with grey. Don't get why harbaugh wants the whole dam team from Stanford. Who the heck is this Owen fellow

Umm, wont he be the only Stanford player on the 53?
One other thing I wanted to point out: I would agree that in that I would probably have cut Stupar before Johnson but Stupar is most likely a better ST player so thats why he stayed for now. Also, seems like Skuta who is signed for 2 years after this one is here to stay and as long as he is a good ST player it's unlikely that any 5th OLB like Johnson or whoever it may be will pass up Skuta. They will be inactive because Skuta is a good ST player. That being said Skuta looked pretty good rushing the passer too. Let's not act like the guy has never got a sack in his life. He moved to OLB only a few months back and think he had 2 sacks in his first game (?).
Share 49ersWebzone