LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
I remember the times when we fans thought we'd have a good year because the team and players looked good against 3rd and 4th stringers. I trust Fangio and Tomsula on this one. It's not as if Baalke just decided to trade Johnson without consulting the coaching staff, it's more the other way round,

This is a good point! I wonder how this works. Fangio went on record praising Cam and stating there was a spot on the 53 for him...and there was...for 24 hours. I wonder if Baalke is making these moves that are unpopular with some coaches after working so hard to develop the for a year?
Originally posted by WINiner:
I am not a fan of trading Cam for what was reported.

losing him and Harlason is too much. Skuta is not a threat as a passrusher
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We didn't get enough here in return IMO. We could have played this for more IMO. I don't like this move at all.

Should've have never traded him imo. I thought we traded Haralson away to get younger at OLB. But then we give away a 24 year old pass rusher with upside which defeats the purpose.

Skuta better be a damn good special teams player because we gave away some good depth to keep him.
[ Edited by SFrush on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:19 PM ]
Can someone help me to understand this- Parys Haralson is clearly a starter at OLB in the NFL, has some good seasons under his belt, and is pretty good against the run. I don't know how many starts he has, but I'd venture to say over 40. We traded him for a 7th round pick. How on earth is a player who has never played a down in the NFL, also a 7th round pick himself, supposed to be traded for more than what we got for Parys Haralson? Then we have Anquan Boldin who we got for a sixth, without whom, the Ravens do not win the Super Bowl. What trade value chart are these guys using? Cam was going to rarely play this season, if he was ever going to be active at all.

On the flip side, we lost Marquise Gray (I was disappointed), but we got someone else who we could be developing to be the next Delanie Walker (in terms of versatility). Trent Baalke is playing chess on three levels with the league.

I also must add that I LOVE the way Baalke has salvaged the 2012 draft.
I'm not totally mad at the trade, I can understand the trade, its just that what they got or how little they got back for him?? a 7th?? atlest try for a 5th?? 6th??
I will say this before his amazing game 4 he very well could have been cut. Of course we don't know what the coaches seen in practice. Think he had one sack against the Chiefs or Vikings. Also, he shows potential but does anyone remember if he got to play against 2nd string even? I think most of the time he was out there with 3rd and 4th stringers. Might have got snatched off the practice squad if we put him there and I guess we get a 7th back that we used for him so not a big loss as long as he doesn't do anything for the Colts. Like i said though they take practice into consideration but he could have very well been cut before his game against SD so looking at it that way got a 7th for a guy who could have been cut. Also, guys keep in mind Johnson would have been inactive probably every game this year. Lemonier and Skuta will both be active as the 3rd OLB and then Skuta for ST/emergency OLB. Also we went with 3 OLB last year so we probably didn't want to go with 5 this year. 4 is our ideal #. Keep in mind Lemonier will be the backup OLB and Skuta will probably not get much time at OLB unless its a blowout.

Side note: With cuts and trades we have really cut down the # of players that were free agents after this year. Haralson, Cam Johnson, McBath we settled with so he is gone, Hawkins, Hall, Collie, etc.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
We didn't get enough here in return IMO. We could have played this for more IMO. I don't like this move at all.

Yeah that was the point. It's not about his past...he is a developed player NOW who had 5 sacks and produced VERY well on ST who costs nothing and was trained by a great coaching staff. A favorite of Fangio at a premier position on a 3-4 defense. If you don't get your price, keep him and watch him excel on ST and develop for another year and get your price or dump Skuta for him after also learning the ILB position. If Aldon had 5 sacks in pre season against any competition his 1st year we would be slogging his knob...oh wait!

I would have tried to get a 4th out of this at least. We got robbed for a 7th.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by WINiner:
I am not a fan of trading Cam for what was reported.

losing him and Harlason is too much. Skuta is not a threat as a passrusher

Skuta has been a better pass rusher than Johnson so far.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

What GM would trade a 4th round pick for a guy who has zero tackles in the regular season??????

Originally posted by Gore_21:
I will say this before his amazing game 4 he very well could have been cut. Of course we don't know what the coaches seen in practice. Think he had one sack against the Chiefs or Vikings. Also, he shows potential but does anyone remember if he got to play against 2nd string even? I think most of the time he was out there with 3rd and 4th stringers. Might have got snatched off the practice squad if we put him there and I guess we get a 7th back that we used for him so not a big loss as long as he doesn't do anything for the Colts. Like i said though they take practice into consideration but he could have very well been cut before his game against SD so looking at it that way got a 7th for a guy who could have been cut. Also, guys keep in mind Johnson would have been inactive probably every game this year. Lemonier and Skuta will both be active as the 3rd OLB and then Skuta for ST/emergency OLB. Also we went with 3 OLB last year so we probably didn't want to go with 5 this year. 4 is our ideal #. Keep in mind Lemonier will be the backup OLB and Skuta will probably not get much time at OLB unless its a blowout.

Side note: With cuts and trades we have really cut down the # of players that were free agents after this year. Haralson, Cam Johnson, McBath we settled with so he is gone, Hawkins, Hall, Collie, etc.

In the winners and losers threads, had him as a winner in 3 of 4 games. He played against all strings and much more towards the end and got better and better.Also it wasn't who he faced as much as it was what he was doing...how he was doing it. He had come a long long ways from an I.R. year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 2, 2013 at 2:27 PM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Life's too short to be concerned about depth players clinging to a roster spot.

...and 20 pages later, here we are? Thank Jeebus that real football is less than a week away!
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah that was the point. It's not about his past...he is a developed player NOW who had 5 sacks and produced VERY well on ST who costs nothing and was trained by a great coaching staff. A favorite of Fangio at a premier position on a 3-4 defense. If you don't get your price, keep him and watch him excel on ST and develop for another year and get your price or dump Skuta for him after also learning the ILB position. If Aldon had 5 sacks in pre season against any competition his 1st year we would be slogging his knob...oh wait!

A 4th!!!!!! Come on
Originally posted by sdcindy:
What GM would trade a 4th round pick for a guy who has zero tackles in the regular season??????

None.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by sdcindy:

None.

Maybe KC.
Share 49ersWebzone