Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
what did we get?

Conditional seventh rounder.
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for Buchy.
Do we know what the conditional pick is yet?

I think this deal is probably in everyone's interest - Cam gets a chance to develop and play and we get more draft ammo.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
There is a difference between cutting guys and trading them. You can now include Baldwin and this draft pick in the 2012 draft class.
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Totally. I'm a big Baalke fan and it took balls to get rid of Jenkins! It's cool if we don't agree on the Cam trade. I understand "why" it was done but I don't think we will get anything close to the value of Cam even if we do develop that guy for a full year. Finding any real production from a late 7th even after a full year of developing him is highly unlikely. And now we establish a 7th round precedence for the future. It's even more unlikely he adds value to our stacked roster with 15 picks next year. Packing late round draft picks is highly unlikely as well as we tried to do that last year to no avail and therefore we had to keep almost all of our picks. So in the end, we gave him away. At least it wasnt an NFC contender!

The last couple times we had late first round picks and we stood pat we drafted AJ Jenkins and Kentwan Balmer. But other times we traded surplus draft picks to move up and take Joe Staley, and Anthony Davis.

So I'm not as worried about who we'll draft in the 7th round as I am about the added flexibility those picks give us to move around the board, because it seems when we do that we get players we were really sold on, and those players in general seem to have a lower bust rate.
Originally posted by mayo49:
what did we get?

Thats it? Seems kind of s**tty. If the whole point is to look for late round gems...and we probably had one, why trade it away for noting better?
Originally posted by redrathman:
I love the outrage over a seventh round pick that had one good showing in the fourth game of the preseason.

Listen closely: You're not a General Manager. You're a fan with limited knowledge of the inner workings of the team.

I truly hate posts like this.

I'll be happy to call you out next time you post "your opinion" regarding anything football related. By your logic, posters don't have a right to comment on scheme, roster talent, roster moves and pretty much anything other than the color of the new stadium. After all, its all part of the "inner workings" and none of us are GMs, Coaches or even players at the NFL level.....

Maybe we should change the site to 49ers Tailgating Secretes, since that's the only thing we are really qualified enough to talk about.
Thats it? Seems kind of s**tty. If the whole point is to look for late round gems...and we probably had one, why trade it away for noting better?

We got a 4th round WR and a pick for Johnson pretty much.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
what did we get?

Your right. Don't know what to say.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Travisty13:

That's how I'm looking at it.
Originally posted by bret:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Totally. I'm a big Baalke fan and it took balls to get rid of Jenkins! It's cool if we don't agree on the Cam trade. I understand "why" it was done but I don't think we will get anything close to the value of Cam even if we do develop that guy for a full year. Finding any real production from a late 7th even after a full year of developing him is highly unlikely. And now we establish a 7th round precedence for the future. It's even more unlikely he adds value to our stacked roster with 15 picks next year. Packing late round draft picks is highly unlikely as well as we tried to do that last year to no avail and therefore we had to keep almost all of our picks. So in the end, we gave him away. At least it wasnt an NFC contender!

The last couple times we had late first round picks and we stood pat we drafted AJ Jenkins and Kentwan Balmer. But other times we traded surplus draft picks to move up and take Joe Staley, and Anthony Davis.

So I'm not as worried about who we'll draft in the 7th round as I am about the added flexibility those picks give us to move around the board, because it seems when we do that we get players we were really sold on, and those players in general seem to have a lower bust rate.

People need to stop assuming a late 7th rounder gives us flexibility. Nobody wants it. It's basically an UDFA. And no way are you going to get a top 50 talent in the 7th round again unless he has sickle cell again. LOL. Even then, we would probably have to develop him for a year anyhow. If we needed to dump someone you dump a Ventrone or send Stupar to the PS. You don't cut lose a pass rusher who also played very well on ST. Bad move IMHO. That said we can revisit this next year after we pick our 7th and see how Cam did with the Colts.
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
I love the outrage over a seventh round pick that had one good showing in the fourth game of the preseason.

Listen closely: You're not a General Manager. You're a fan with limited knowledge of the inner workings of the team.

I'll be happy to call you out next time you post "your opinion" regarding anything football related. By your logic, posters don't have a right to comment on scheme, roster talent, roster moves and pretty much anything other than the color of the new stadium. After all, its all part of the "inner workings" and none of us are GMs, Coaches or even players at the NFL level.....

Maybe we should change the site to 49ers Tailgating Secretes, since that's the only thing we are really qualified enough to talk about.

Do we still get to post about other people's posts? It would suck if we couldn't continue to read your redundant posts about how you don't like these posts.
If you grade a draft you grade the players taken in a draft, not all of the machinations to get those draft picks nor where those picks went in trades. Can anybody tell me the entire history of every draft pick from the 2012 draft? Name all of the trades all of the players picked with all of the picks were in? Don't think so. You look at who a team picked in the year of the draft and what that player did for the team that drafted them. If you draft a hall of famer and trade them away before they've done anything you don't deserve credit for drafting the hall of fame player. Brent Jones was a great player for the 49ers, a multi-time pro bowl player ... does anybody credit the Steelers with drafting him or does the credit go to the 49ers for signing and developing him?

The 2012 draft is a BAD draft. The 49ers have, to date, got 27 regular season runs out of James and almost nothing else. James MAY some day be good, right now he's average, and he's a 2nd round pick who is the 3rd string RB ... that is not good payback on a 2nd round pick.

Cam Johnson cost us a 7th, and a year of coaching, but he had effectively no chance of making the team just a week ago so getting a 7th round pick for him is a big deal. It would have been nice to get more but the market probably didn't offer more.

Skuta hadn't played OLB before, but with just this off-season's coaching he showed more promise as a pass rusher than Cam had.
This move combined with the Haralson move and the associated WR signing completely baffle me. We already have multiple late round draft picks, so more than enough ammo to move around. And actually drafting players in the 7th round has for the most part yielded players who don't make the team or who are cut within a year or two.

So, we give up on two talented, valuable players at a position where depth should be a priority, for picks that will have very limited value for us, and we cut at least 3 WRs that showed promise in our system and have real NFL experience for an unknown commodity who couldn't make an NFL roster?

Just makes no sense to me. Those 7th round picks (especially now that we have done it twice) will never be as valuable to us as either player would be if have an injury at OLB. Much like the injuries that were a big part of the reason our D went downhill at the end of last year and were major factor in losing the Super Bowl.

I really think this front office, in spite of all their success, sometimes gets too cute for their own good and ends up outsmarting themselves.

So, while as a fan, I hope I'm wrong, and these moves don't hurt us, I will be shocked if they don't down the line and if we get more benefit from Harper and two 7th round picks than we would have gotten from Haralson, Johnson or one of the WRs we cut.
Originally posted by Travisty13:

Cam was a top 50 pick with a medical concern initially. Hawkins replaces Walker or Gray and is 5 months behind in the playook
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:

Do we still get to post about other people's posts? It would suck if we couldn't continue to read your redundant posts about how you don't like these posts.

Sure, since surely you have knowledge about "your opinion."