LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Cam Johnson being traded to Colts???

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Yep and Stupar was projected as an OLB but was moved to ILB so I guess both guys can give us that versatility plus ST. Harbalke likes those types of guys.
leaky,, i am depending on you because you are a good poster and are nice enough to have patience with people like me.. now i only saw the niners on tv when they played the vikes . I hear alot of things pro and con about stupar. Now in your opinion(and anyone else).. what is the bottom line on this guy? how did we get him? he must have done good things to get this far? some guys hate him but in your opinion can he be a respectable player for us? last year we did not even have respectability with our backup backers... also i think moody will be a good backer for us? i think he is mainly a inside type of guy. i am sorry, those are alot of questions and i do not blame you if you want to ignore them but appreciate any feedback you have on this stupar guy who i read alot of comments about but have no clue about him
Stupar Has been overlooked his whole career. At Penn State he was a backup until injuries forced him on to the field. He was a standout on special teams for Penn State and played both inside and outside in their 4-3 defense. He is a little undersized but is one of those high motor blue collar types that Harbaugh loves. He really only started his senior year but was a huge ST player his Soph,Junior and senior years. He seems to have a nose for the ball and was a three time Academic all big ten.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Another interesting tidbit about this trade pointed out by Matt Barrows. This trade means that only two members of our 2012 draft class remain in LMJ and Looney. Guess the front office is trying to take a mulligan on that draft class and still get something out of it long term.

Im just gonna try to forget that draft ever happened at this point and move on. It just ruins my day when i think about it.

But in HarBaalke we trust, right guys? Again, even our FO makes mistakes...therefore it's OK to not only question a move but disagree with it.
Originally posted by sfout:
Harper is replacing Gray who was supposed to replace Walker who played TE, FB, WR - which is what Harper will play. Why is that so hard for everyone to understand?

And Harper > Gray.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Niners were always going to have to cut or trade some good players this year.

true, that was known after the first or second pre season game. not sure if cam is a good player but yes we knew this would happen so i guess we should not roll out the shock and awe campaign that it is actually happening.... i will say last years "draft" kills me but if jon b turns out good us and we can use this pick for cam to help get a player next year, its good
  • bret
  • Veteran
@CCiowa:

You didn't ask me, but I have a thought about Stupar. Fans tend to develop favorites they get attached to over the pre-season (mine were Lemonier and Hawkins), and usually they are guys at the "sexy" positions like runners, receivers, pass rushers and DBs. The 5th inside linebacker is likely to be the fan favorite of his girlfriend and his family and that's about it. Sorry, Stupar, but that's life! But I think if we understand how the coaching staff and front office thinks: they want the "best" roster (they say that over and over), but they also want the youngest and cheapest roster (and they'll never say that, though the beat writers will say it for them sometimes). so why all this sidebar? Because you have to think about this when you think about who they're going to keep. And when you keep all three of those things in mind and ask yourself who performed best for the least and if it's close who's younger? By these criteria, Stupar played himself onto the roster. Does it make sense to have 5 ILB's? Not really, but maybe they're holding onto him until they're sure Willis is healthy, or maybe they'll try to trade him too, or just maybe they view him enough of an asset on special teams that they're simply keeping a spot open. I don't understand special teams well enough to make an educated guess, but maybe some of the vets around here do.

By my analysis, the only one who doesn't make sense is Bubba Ventrone. His "vested vet minimum" is $880k, which seems surprising since they dumped Jennings in large part due to his salary. But then remember how Blake Costanza helped and then the special teams didn't seem so special last year after he left. Is Ventrone a guy who can make that kind of difference?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Another interesting tidbit about this trade pointed out by Matt Barrows. This trade means that only two members of our 2012 draft class remain in LMJ and Looney. Guess the front office is trying to take a mulligan on that draft class and still get something out of it long term.

Im just gonna try to forget that draft ever happened at this point and move on. It just ruins my day when i think about it.

But in HarBaalke we trust, right guys? Again, even our FO makes mistakes...therefore it's OK to not only question a move but disagree with it.

Thank you, well said.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Yep and Stupar was projected as an OLB but was moved to ILB so I guess both guys can give us that versatility plus ST. Harbalke likes those types of guys.
leaky,, i am depending on you because you are a good poster and are nice enough to have patience with people like me.. now i only saw the niners on tv when they played the vikes . I hear alot of things pro and con about stupar. Now in your opinion(and anyone else).. what is the bottom line on this guy? how did we get him? he must have done good things to get this far? some guys hate him but in your opinion can he be a respectable player for us? last year we did not even have respectability with our backup backers... also i think moody will be a good backer for us? i think he is mainly a inside type of guy. i am sorry, those are alot of questions and i do not blame you if you want to ignore them but appreciate any feedback you have on this stupar guy who i read alot of comments about but have no clue about him
Stupar Has been overlooked his whole career. At Penn State he was a backup until injuries forced him on to the field. He was a standout on special teams for Penn State and played both inside and outside in their 4-3 defense. He is a little undersized but is one of those high motor blue collar types that Harbaugh loves. He really only started his senior year but was a huge ST player his Soph,Junior and senior years. He seems to have a nose for the ball and was a three time Academic all big ten.

thank you, you are a good citizen
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by 49erforlife:
This was a great move and as discussed in the previous topics, it was a move to gain a Draft pick and Harper from hawks.

Correct. Essentially, we traded Cam Johnson for a 4th round WR and another draft pick.

Yup they wanted Harper and Cam was last spot on the roster...too good to make the practice squad so they got what they could. Can't complain too much since we still have two capable backups at the position. Curious what they see in Harper other than intel on the Hawks but I have faith they think they can turn him into something.
There is absolutely no good explanation for this. He is a young promising player where depth was needed. You guys need to get off Baalke's nuts. There are 2, i repeat 2 draft picks left (james and looney) on the roster from a YEAR AGO.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bret:
@CCiowa:

You didn't ask me, but I have a thought about Stupar. Fans tend to develop favorites they get attached to over the pre-season (mine were Lemonier and Hawkins), and usually they are guys at the "sexy" positions like runners, receivers, pass rushers and DBs. The 5th inside linebacker is likely to be the fan favorite of his girlfriend and his family and that's about it. Sorry, Stupar, but that's life! But I think if we understand how the coaching staff and front office thinks: they want the "best" roster (they say that over and over), but they also want the youngest and cheapest roster (and they'll never say that, though the beat writers will say it for them sometimes). so why all this sidebar? Because you have to think about this when you think about who they're going to keep. And when you keep all three of those things in mind and ask yourself who performed best for the least and if it's close who's younger? By these criteria, Stupar played himself onto the roster. Does it make sense to have 5 ILB's? Not really, but maybe they're holding onto him until they're sure Willis is healthy, or maybe they'll try to trade him too, or just maybe they view him enough of an asset on special teams that they're simply keeping a spot open. I don't understand special teams well enough to make an educated guess, but maybe some of the vets around here do.

By my analysis, the only one who doesn't make sense is Bubba Ventrone. His "vested vet minimum" is $880k, which seems surprising since they dumped Jennings in large part due to his salary. But then remember how Blake Costanza helped and then the special teams didn't seem so special last year after he left. Is Ventrone a guy who can make that kind of difference?
actually i did say anyone else feel free to give me input on this guy thank you and while people have nightmares about nolan,, stupar does sound like a JH guy. as we know its about getting the right guys, hell none of us gave bruce miller a second thought.

Originally posted by Rascal:

Thank you, well said.

I am not even 100% on calling that draft a bust....after all it netted us a lot of the pics for this last year and that draft is looking stellar. Sometimes if you aren't enamoured with a class maybe it's good to just take the hit one year to beef up the next. Could they have picked better? Sure....but I think the strategy may have been to have a low key draft right from the start.
What's next-trading patrick willis for a 3rd round pick?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rascal:

Thank you, well said.
of course it is ok to question and disagree with it. it is also not right when those who do that get slapped with a sticker that says they are a fake fan or they would rather have former coaches and gms back
Lemonier. That's all we need to know to understand getting rid of Haralson and Cam Johnson.

I've actually forgotten all about Cam until the last preseason game.

Lemonier made them not worth having.

NCommand, i agree with you on that point. I actually dont agree with you on Cam, and when you set a standard by trading away haralson for a 7th, you cant really expect to get much more for Cam. But thats besides the current point being discussed i guess.

I was very critical of some of the moves early last offseason, and was trashed a bit for it, BUT, the majority of those criticisms, especially about the draft class and ST were indeed true. Here is the thing, there are always going to be homers to the extreme, that will allow no criticism to go unchallenged, then there are people who are the opposite of that who must bash everything and be critical of everything. Then you have the normal people, that get grouped with the two extremes any time they stray a bit from the current popular opinion of the board. Just the nature of the beast.

I happen to love our FO and coaching staff for the most part, but no they are not perfect, and last offseason was about as bad as it gets in some areas.
Share 49ersWebzone