There are 112 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Packers sign Tolzien & Seneca

Well that's pretty obvious. Seattle is weak.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by vermonator:
So, Wallace didn't want to be used by the 49ers, but he's ok with being used by the Packers? Pretty pathetic!

um......how is he being "used" by the Packers? he was with us less than a week what is he going to tell them?

He was brought in to be their #2 QB.

he has an opportunity to not get dicked around and will be Rodger's backup QB.... a backup QB for a playoff team.

imo, they have a better backup QB than we do.

If you think either of those QB's will be with the Packers past week 2 your delusional. They are fodder for the game vs. us week 1, plain and simple. I think they are dumb for cutting Vince who looked like a serviceable back up in pre season. Maybe we should sign Vince and fire back...

dude..lol, I think you are the one that is delusional... HE IS THEIR #2 QB! What do you expect them to do during the regular season after week 2? cut him?..lolololol

here.

Green Bay --- Another quarterback is being asked to learn a playbook. Fast. But this one, the Green Bay Packers hope, is able to stick as the No. 2 quarterback.

After Vince Young's four-week stop in Green Bay, Seneca Wallace now gets his shot.

Whereas Young came into the NFL with transcendent-QB expectations, Wallace was considered by many too short to even play the position out of Iowa State. Then with the Seattle Seahawks, Ted Thompson took a chance on Wallace with Mike Holmgren. And now, he's in Green Bay. Unlike Young, a former third overall pick, Wallace has been a back-up his entire 11-year career.

Thus, Green Bay hopes he can a.) assist Aaron Rodgers in a meaningful way and b.) step in if needed. After a conversation with coach Mike McCarthy this weekend, Wallace was signed.

"Seneca Wallace has been in the league 11 years," McCarthy said Monday. "He's been a backup quarterback primarily his whole career. He clearly understands the role, has a lot of experience in an out of systems. Just talking football with him last night, I felt confident that he'll be ready to play Sunday. That was part of our conversation."

Wallace does have familiarity with the West Coast offense, having played under Holmgren in Seattle. It also helped to work daily with Matt Hasselbeck, one of McCarthy's old students. He doesn't have much time to ease into things -- the Packers open up Sunday at San Francisco -- but Wallace didn't seem too concerned about any sort of learning curve.

Said Wallace, "Just going to dig into the playbook and learn as much as I can.

"My confidence level, I just have to lean on my experience and I'm pretty sure if something was to happen, God forbid, that we would try to lean on some of the stuff that I learned in the past, just to try to get through it. But we're not going to talk about that. We want the man to stay upright and continue to keep doing his thing."

Young's athleticism potentially offered something different, but there were questions about how much he could realistically offer Rodgers as the No. 2 quarterback. Wallace accepted the role as back-up a long time ago.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/222085901.html
Sure, this article guarantees his position as the number two QB. Do you really think they will put their season in the hands of Wallace should A-Rod go down? I just don't believe it. They had plenty of time/opportunity to sign him this summer if they wanted. Why now?
Originally posted by vermonator:
So, Wallace didn't want to be used by the 49ers, but he's ok with being used by the Packers? Pretty pathetic!

um......how is he being "used" by the Packers? he was with us less than a week what is he going to tell them?

He was brought in to be their #2 QB.

he has an opportunity to not get dicked around and will be Rodger's backup QB.... a backup QB for a playoff team.

imo, they have a better backup QB than we do.

If you think either of those QB's will be with the Packers past week 2 your delusional. They are fodder for the game vs. us week 1, plain and simple. I think they are dumb for cutting Vince who looked like a serviceable back up in pre season. Maybe we should sign Vince and fire back...

dude..lol, I think you are the one that is delusional... HE IS THEIR #2 QB! What do you expect them to do during the regular season after week 2? cut him?..lolololol

here.

Green Bay --- Another quarterback is being asked to learn a playbook. Fast. But this one, the Green Bay Packers hope, is able to stick as the No. 2 quarterback.

After Vince Young's four-week stop in Green Bay, Seneca Wallace now gets his shot.

Whereas Young came into the NFL with transcendent-QB expectations, Wallace was considered by many too short to even play the position out of Iowa State. Then with the Seattle Seahawks, Ted Thompson took a chance on Wallace with Mike Holmgren. And now, he's in Green Bay. Unlike Young, a former third overall pick, Wallace has been a back-up his entire 11-year career.

Thus, Green Bay hopes he can a.) assist Aaron Rodgers in a meaningful way and b.) step in if needed. After a conversation with coach Mike McCarthy this weekend, Wallace was signed.

"Seneca Wallace has been in the league 11 years," McCarthy said Monday. "He's been a backup quarterback primarily his whole career. He clearly understands the role, has a lot of experience in an out of systems. Just talking football with him last night, I felt confident that he'll be ready to play Sunday. That was part of our conversation."

Wallace does have familiarity with the West Coast offense, having played under Holmgren in Seattle. It also helped to work daily with Matt Hasselbeck, one of McCarthy's old students. He doesn't have much time to ease into things -- the Packers open up Sunday at San Francisco -- but Wallace didn't seem too concerned about any sort of learning curve.

Said Wallace, "Just going to dig into the playbook and learn as much as I can.

"My confidence level, I just have to lean on my experience and I'm pretty sure if something was to happen, God forbid, that we would try to lean on some of the stuff that I learned in the past, just to try to get through it. But we're not going to talk about that. We want the man to stay upright and continue to keep doing his thing."

Young's athleticism potentially offered something different, but there were questions about how much he could realistically offer Rodgers as the No. 2 quarterback. Wallace accepted the role as back-up a long time ago.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/222085901.html
Sure, this article guarantees his position as the number two QB. Do you really think they will put their season in the hands of Wallace should A-Rod go down? I just don't believe it. They had plenty of time/opportunity to sign him this summer if they wanted. Why now?

Realistically Wallace has always been a serviceable number 2. He won't win you many games by himself but he can make all the throws and provide some mobility. I just think that our staff felt Colt could do enough for what we have around him but didn't need to pay him more than Kap. We brought in Seneca in to provide some incentive for Colt to step up and step down in pay perhaps and we felt better with things in Colt's hands because he has been here all offseason and is younger as opposed to Seneca being 1 year removed from football and just walking in off the street 2 weeks before the season starts.

The person I question is Ted Thompson. What an idiot for having 2 guys on the roster all summer at QB then VERY late in the offseason you bring in Vince, then you dump him to get 2 I repeat 2 49er castoff QBs days before you play them. A team you have been obsessed with since January. This either wreaks of ineptitude or of desperation. Either the Pack's QB coaches are giddy or confused and are wondering WTF is going on!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Sep 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM ]
The Packers can't win more than 4 games if Rodgers goes down. That's with Young, Walkace, őr Tolzien.
Originally posted by MarkD:
No I didn't catch that. I actually live 20 minutes from Green Bay Wisconsin. I have been a 49ers fan since I was 8 years old. That is roughly 33 years now.

I used to live outside of Madison. Man were they butthurt after each loss to us last year
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Still won't win cheeseheads