There are 61 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign wr Chris Harper

He has an NFL body, but needs to be given special attention/training. -Not investing a lot in him, like many are saying, he might be cut by mid-season, may not even suit up for games.
He better be a special teams ninja to stick.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
One of the Matt's thought we were targeting him in the 4th, instead of Patton.

Some of these personnel decisions Baalke is making... puzzling.

I don't see how any of our moves are puzzling. I hate giving up on a young guy like Cam, but I trust our staff has a better understanding of these guys than we do. We continue to build draft capital which will help us immensely when our cap is going to be tied up to guys like Kaep and Aldon over the next few years.

I said it's puzzling because I'm an idiot and don't see all the moves and angles that Baalke and company do. In Seattle's eyes, Harper was more hopeless than AJ Jenkins. What are we going to do with him that Seattle couldn't.

Whatever they're doing, we're fortunate to be in the slow play position. Not having to worry about adding talent now, and being able to rely on healing players and draft picks.

There's no risk on our part. If he doesn't work out or show enough potential to keep around, we cut him when Mario returns. No risk, possible reward. Hard to liken him to AJ when he wasn't a round 1 pick and hasn't the benefit of the evaluation time AJ had.

The Seahawks, for whatever reason, were compelled enough to end the evaluation process pretty early. It's arguable he was prematurely cut for a 4th rounder and AJ Jenkins prematurely for a 1st rounder -- that's the connection I was making. Either way something glaring compelled both teams to cut the player loose.

Roster spots on this team seem to be a premium. If we can kick the tires and find out there's something worthwhile in Harper, that'd be great. It'd be nice to see the team cultivate one decent W.R. talent.
I liked Harper before the draft, he's very physical, tough, great blocker, he was a QB at Oregon before switching to WR, smart guy,decent hands, not the fastest out there but very hard working. He's 6'1" and 230 pounds, weighs about 10 pounds less than Delanie did so he definitely has potential at H-back if the 49ers wanted him there.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 2, 2013 at 11:55 AM ]

I don't see how any of our moves are puzzling. I hate giving up on a young guy like Cam, but I trust our staff has a better understanding of these guys than we do. We continue to build draft capital which will help us immensely when our cap is going to be tied up to guys like Kaep and Aldon over the next few years.

I said it's puzzling because I'm an idiot and don't see all the moves and angles that Baalke and company do. In Seattle's eyes, Harper was more hopeless than AJ Jenkins. What are we going to do with him that Seattle couldn't.

Whatever they're doing, we're fortunate to be in the slow play position. Not having to worry about adding talent now, and being able to rely on healing players and draft picks.

There's no risk on our part. If he doesn't work out or show enough potential to keep around, we cut him when Mario returns. No risk, possible reward. Hard to liken him to AJ when he wasn't a round 1 pick and hasn't the benefit of the evaluation time AJ had.

The Seahawks, for whatever reason, were compelled enough to end the evaluation process pretty early. It's arguable he was prematurely cut for a 4th rounder and AJ Jenkins prematurely for a 1st rounder -- that's the connection I was making. Either way something glaring compelled both teams to cut the player loose.

Roster spots on this team seem to be a premium. If we can kick the tires and find out there's something worthwhile in Harper, that'd be great. It'd be nice to see the team cultivate one decent W.R. talent.

Seattle wasn't done with Harper. He had signed to the practice squad and they fought to keep him there. His issue is he's RAW.

Niners BTW will play him as WR/TE/H-Back...ala Delanie Walker. This move was about losing Gray to the Browns.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Sep 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM ]
  • AmpLee
  • Hall of Fame

To be fair, the Hawks had a couple guys come out of nowhere and light it up. Harper had some drops but showed the ability to get open. He has some nice potential and may be able to play a little TE as well. We'll see.
Originally posted by okdkid:
5 - 0

5-0?

I hope that's not a superbowl reference...or are we just trying to forget that last year happened?
I'm surprised Maddog hasn't posted yet. He had Chris Harper as a late 3rd round and high fourth. And he had Patton as a second rounder, so I don't think we would have taken Harper over Patton.

This is probably another reason why they didn't keep Collie or Hawkins, because they are trying to get bigger. I do think that Marguis Gray should have been a keeper, it was probably a gamble by the front office because he didn't really play a lot.

AND YES WE ARE GOING TO HAVE HARD TIME KEEPING ALL OF THESE GUYS WHEN MANNINGHAM AND CRABS COME BACK.

Here is a portion of Maddog's big board. Gotta Love Maddog, it's great to look at afterwards and have a conversation about it.

52 Terron Armstead Arkansas Pine Bluff OT 53 Quinton Patton Louisiana Tech WR 54 Keenan Allen Cal WR 55 Matt Scott Arizona QB 56 Jamie Collins Southern Mississippi LB 57 Alex Okafor Texas DE 58 Johnathan Hankins Ohio St DT 59 Darius Slay Mississippi St CB 60 Giovani Bernard North Carolina RB 61 Phillip Thomas Fresno State S 62 Cornelius Washington Georgia DE/OLB 63 David Amerson NC State CB 64 Larry Warford Kentucky G 65 DJ Swearinger South Carolina S 66 Kevin Minter LSU LB 67 Sio Moore Connecticut LB 68 Le'Veon Bell Michigan St RB 69 Montee Ball Wisconsin RB 70 Vance McDonald Rice TE 71 Johnthan Banks Mississippi St CB 72 Brandon Williams Missouri Southern St DT 73 John Jenkins Georgia DT 74 Damontre Moore Texas A&M DE 75 Gavin Escobar San Diego St TE 76 BW Webb William and Mary CB 77 Jon Bostic Florida LB 78 Landry Jones Oklahoma QB 79 Dwayne Gratz Connecticut CB 80 Markus Wheaton Oregon St WR 81 Ryan Swope Texas A&M WR 82 Marquise Goodwin Texas WR 83 Shamarko Thomas Syracuse S 84 Jordan Poyer Oregon St CB 85 Kiko Alonso Oregon LB 86 Andre Ellington Clemson RB 87 Reid Fragel Ohio St OT 88 Tyler Wilson Arkansas QB 89 Leon McFaddon San Diego St CB 90 Travis Kelce Cincinnati TE 91 Christine Michael Texas A&M RB 92 Khaseem Greene Rutgers LB 93 Chris Harper Kansas St WR 94 Akeem Spence Illinois DT 95 Stedman Bailey West Virginia WR 96 David Quessenberry San Jose St G/OT 97 David Bakhtiari Colorado OTRead more at http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/172830-2013-nfl-draft-maddogs-big-254-final-board/#AdvYA3A1KjhgHJBT.99
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Seattle wasn't done with Harper. He had signed to the practice squad and they fought to keep him there. His issue is he's RAW.

Niners BTW will play him as WR/TE/H-Back...ala Delanie Walker. This move was about losing Gray to the Browns.

If that happens to be the case, I like the move. Still, trying to stash a raw 4th rounder on the P.S. is tantamount to cutting him loose. What fighting were they doing, trying to convince him to stay on a PS instead of signing to a 53-man roster?
Barrows says we're gonna make Harper a TE

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

The #49ers are looking at Chris Harper not as a WR but as a TE, H-back in the Delanie Walker mold. He's 6-1, 235 pounds.
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 1m

The #49ers are looking at Chris Harper not as a WR but as a TE, H-back in the Delanie Walker mold. He's 6-1, 235 pounds.

Oh.

[ Edited by Schulzy on Sep 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Janitor:
Barrows says we're gonna make Harper a TE

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows

interesting, could be the reason why the FO hasnt gone through with the Marecic signing?

They put Harper on their practice squad. I don't see how they're 'ending the evaluation process early.'
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

They put Harper on their practice squad. I don't see how they're 'ending the evaluation process early.'

Placing a 4th round WR on the PS of one of the league's best teams isn't exactly an under-the-radar type of move. Their expectations couldn't have been that high that he'd stick there.
he better play special teams and block punts
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home