There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign wr Chris Harper

I'm happy about it just because it pissed the Seahawks off. Apparently they thought he'd clear and they could put him on the PS and that was the plan
Wow, opinions are all over the board on this guy...does he really have that much upside as an H-back over Gray, a guy 7 teams fought for to add to their active roster? I guess we'll see down the road. And seriously, has Harper played ANY special teams but suddenly he's got more production over Johnson who blocked a kicked and returned it for a TD and also played well on the coverage units? Come on people, at least try to be objective! It's safe to say we needed an active 5th OLB on ST (like Skuta - they can tackle) and for depth at a premier position over a 6th WR who may not see the field for a very long time (if at all). Between VD and McDonald, those two and Boldin are going to get the mass majority of the balls. The other WR's will be part of the package deals, with a few shots a game. The H-back? With McDonald, Miller and even Gore/Hunter, I would be willing to bet, they can handle crack-back blocks and running out of the Q-formation next to CK?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I think people underrate Celek a lot too. He's not flashy, but as the #3 TE, he doesn't have to be. If one of the TE's goes down, what you want the most out of your #3 TE, what will disrupt the offense the least is a good who can go in, block his ass off and anything else is a bonus. Celek has done well as a blocker which has been his meal-ticket thus far with the 49ers.

As far as Harper, I expect him to be inactive for a great many games here but I feel like the 49ers have invested in him and have gone through the trouble of putting him on the roster because they believe in his potential. I'm not sure if he'd play special teams although he certainly has the athletic ability to contribute in that fashion. I think most likely they'll cut someone from another position, not Harper or Celek.

As far as Harper goes, I was kind of pissed when the Seahawks drafted him, he's a guy who used the right way, can be a very useful player. Gray has a lot of potential too, but I didn't see anyway that a guy that raw ends up on the 49ers roster, its the price of success, you can no longer hang on to everyone and will lose some promising talent simply because you don't have any room for it. This will continue, but so far, nobody that the 49ers have lost has turned out to do much of anything.

There was Nathan Palmer who got picked up by the Colts last year....now he's newly unemployed, former NFL WR Nathan Palmer. There was Chris Owusu who got picked up by the Bucs, now he's a member of Tampa Bay's practice squad.

Appreciate your responses and insight. I'll certainly keep an open mind and see how he develops and when, if ever, we activate him...and see what sort of packages he is involved in and if we'll use him on ST. I'm curious to see if Celek will be used much at all this year with McDonald and his versatility. Hmmmm, that active 46 list is going to be interesting to see and evolve over the first 6 weeks of the season (and especially AFTER week 6 when we have a # of PUP players returning to the 53 and active 46).
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 4, 2013 at 7:53 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Harper is, depending on who you listen to, a

4th rounder
6th rounder
7th rounder
not draft worthy
a punk
a fail

Somehow, someway, someone is going to be wrong.

We know the transition from the college game to the pros is not easy and very unpredictable.

I do not pretend to know all that much, but my better sense tells to me to wait and see what happens when the games are actually played.
Originally posted by buck:
We know the transition from the college game to the pros is not easy and very unpredictable.

This seems to be particularly true for WR's and TE's. There are very few that seem to make any real impact before year 3. The Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, etc. are the real exceptions, not the rule.
Originally posted by buck:
Harper is, depending on who you listen to, a

4th rounder
6th rounder
7th rounder
not draft worthy
a punk
a fail

Somehow, someway, someone is going to be wrong.

I do not pretend to know all that much, but my better sense tells to me to wait and see what happens when the games are actually played.

I'm with you, Buck!
I wanted Harper in the draft to be an H-Back, he's got talent and physical ability, but he's raw.

I wanted Gray on the 53 (and Celek) so was sad to see him go.

Harper is not the same as Gray ... Gray is bigger, Harper is more experienced we could have used them both in a year or two.

Cam Johnson was a good trade ... after PS game 3 he wasn't going to make the roster, he may have made the PS ... after game 4 he wouldn't make the PS so they traded him to get something rather than nothing.

Harper signing is a positive.
Cam trade is a positive.
Gray loss is a negative.

Simple.
Obviously they wanted the guy. He must have real potential if we both wanted him.

Baalke/JH don't think in petty ways, in other words they didn't get him to piss off the Hawks but because the guy has some real talent.

Now our coaches have to bring that talent the playing field.

Now, I'll be petty [not really] I hope the guy scores multiple TD's against them in games.
gonna get cut
Anything new with this guy? Or Baldwin?
Originally posted by DatNyjerSireez:
Anything new with this guy? Or Baldwin?

Nope. Both will likely be inactive all year. They could play a role next year. MM reported the 49ers could be looking to convert Harper to TE, similar to Delanie Walker.
Do you think they can glean anything from him regarding Seahawk plays, tendencies, etc for this weeks game?
Command, does Harper get cut immediately after the SEA game. He can't give us much more information on the seahawks after that. That would be interesting.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
gonna get cut

Right after the game -- leave his sorry azz in seaderrall!!
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Command, does Harper get cut immediately after the SEA game. He can't give us much more information on the seahawks after that. That would be interesting.

i don't think we got him mainly for info.. although he'll most likely be used as Walker 2.0 I think they see him as an Anquan Boldin replacement for the future. Physically built similar to Boldin and attacks the ball like Boldin.

there is a chance we might lose both Crabtree and Boldin in a couple of years. I think they are going to try to coach him up hoping he competes for a spot next year.