49ers sign wr Chris Harper

looks nothing like delanie
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RonMexico:

This
Originally posted by NCommand:
Thank you! This is where I defer to the experts. If you are willing to go on record as thinking he could be a big steal for us, above a raw-with-upside, Gray, I'll gladly sit back and watch. I imagine, Harper has 6 weeks to shine before the PUP-reserves come back and the roster gets REALLY tight.

Do you think we'll end up cutting Celek? I know it's going to be hard to activate Harper unless he plays some seriously good ST. Do you see him playing ST as well?

It sounds like he's a bright guy as well and hopefully that translates from the playbook, to the field.

I think people underrate Celek a lot too. He's not flashy, but as the #3 TE, he doesn't have to be. If one of the TE's goes down, what you want the most out of your #3 TE, what will disrupt the offense the least is a good who can go in, block his ass off and anything else is a bonus. Celek has done well as a blocker which has been his meal-ticket thus far with the 49ers.

As far as Harper, I expect him to be inactive for a great many games here but I feel like the 49ers have invested in him and have gone through the trouble of putting him on the roster because they believe in his potential. I'm not sure if he'd play special teams although he certainly has the athletic ability to contribute in that fashion. I think most likely they'll cut someone from another position, not Harper or Celek.

As far as Harper goes, I was kind of pissed when the Seahawks drafted him, he's a guy who used the right way, can be a very useful player. Gray has a lot of potential too, but I didn't see anyway that a guy that raw ends up on the 49ers roster, its the price of success, you can no longer hang on to everyone and will lose some promising talent simply because you don't have any room for it. This will continue, but so far, nobody that the 49ers have lost has turned out to do much of anything.

There was Nathan Palmer who got picked up by the Colts last year....now he's newly unemployed, former NFL WR Nathan Palmer. There was Chris Owusu who got picked up by the Bucs, now he's a member of Tampa Bay's practice squad.
Don't think much of the player. No separation ability, nothing dynamic. Can't see him on the roster for very long, to be honest. To me, he wasn't even draftable and that was Seattle's loss.
Originally posted by jimrat:

This

That's right. Other than being the same size and height, running at the same speed, exhibiting the same strength and playing the same position, they've got nothing in common.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Don't think much of the player. No separation ability, nothing dynamic. Can't see him on the roster for very long, to be honest. To me, he wasn't even draftable and that was Seattle's loss.

Are you considering him in Walker's role or simply as a WR. Because, you could have said the same thing about Walker as a wide receiver.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
That's right. Other than being the same size and height, running at the same speed, exhibiting the same strength and playing the same position, they've got nothing in common.

Are you considering him in Walker's role or simply as a WR. Because, you could have said the same thing about Walker as a wide receiver.

Walker was about 10 pounds bigger than Harper coming out of college. He also has good field speed. I don't see the same explosiveness at all with Harper. Walker had some wiggle for a big guy. Harper looks pretty tight hipped. The Senjor Bowl practices were...pretty ugly to watch.

At this point, we are simply throwing darts at a board..Baldwin, Harper, hoping something will stick. Patton can end all of this with solid performances. Kyle Williams makes a solid third or fourth WR.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Sep 3, 2013 at 8:51 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:

This
thank f**king god for that
I was a little surprised he went in the fourth based mainly on measurables. I didn't think he'd go earlier than the 5th, and I gave Harper a 6th round grade, despite the measurables. Seemed like a purely developmental player.

The only reason it'd be upsetting if he got cut would be because we traded Cam Johnson to make room for him. Just felt we could've used the pass-rushing and ST depth more than an inactive 6th WR/TE developmental player.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I was a little surprised he went in the fourth based mainly on measurables. I didn't think he'd go earlier than the 5th, and I gave Harper a 6th round grade, despite the measurables. Seemed like a purely developmental player.

The only reason it'd be upsetting if he got cut would be because we traded Cam Johnson to make room for him. Just felt we could've used the pass-rushing and ST depth more than an inactive 6th WR/TE developmental player.

I and I think a majority of fans HATE seeing Cam go for basically nothing.

Johnson would've been inactive also and it seems like Harper has more ST ability than Johnson.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Magzarillious:

I and I think a majority of fans HATE seeing Cam go for basically nothing.
sigh,, for the millionth time, he was a 7th rounder,, his glittering resume is basically some good play against some guys who are now working at tom thumb . he would have been inactive because there are two better guys ahead of him, according to the coaches. i think a majority of fans on the web zone vastly over rated mid tier players like cam. cam would not have helped special teams,, again he played that against the third unit from tinker toy tech. back to topic, the coaches like this kid, they think he can help out our wide out by committee this year and thats that in my opinion. until I hear from the mouth of JH that this signing had anything to do with him being a " walker clone" i do not think the easily forgettable walker had anything to do with this
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Johnson would've been inactive also and it seems like Harper has more ST ability than Johnson.

Agreed, Johnson would of never touched the field with his pads on. He had a great game against SD's back ups... kind of brings to mind a SD QB that had a great game against our backups in preseason a couple years ago and was proclaimed the next God-King.
[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM ]

Not sure one could prove Harper has any more ST ability. The other difference outside of what has already been mentioned is the fact that Harper doesn't really provide as necessary or as valuable depth. We played it dangerously last year with our LB corps. This year, we're fine at WR. We have 5 good to go, 2 others that will return at some point during the season, and one more on the PS in case.

Not that it's really a big deal either way. Just my reasoning behind what I feel is a valid questioning of the move.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM ]

Not sure one could prove Harper has any more ST ability. The other difference outside of what has already been mentioned is the fact that Harper doesn't really provide as necessary or as valuable depth. We played it dangerously last year with our LB corps. This year, we're fine at WR. We have 5 good to go, 2 others that will return at some point during the season, and one more on the PS in case.

Not that it's really a big deal either way. Just my reasoning behind what I feel is a valid questioning of the move.

We're not using him at WR.