There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign wr Chris Harper

Just watched all the plays Harper was involved with in preseason. He actually has a similar running style to Delanie which is pretty funny. He also had similar hands lol. Overall Im pretty excited about the mismatches he can create in the future years.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Just watched all the plays Harper was involved with in preseason. He actually has a similar running style to Delanie which is pretty funny. He also had similar hands lol. Overall Im pretty excited about the mismatches he can create in the future years.

so he can only catch half the balls thrown to him and then fumble away a third of the ones he does catch
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

so he can only catch half the balls thrown to him and then fumble away a third of the ones he does catch

yeah but he's fast and he can block!

Yeah we get it. In the zone if you are not a superstar you must be a scrub. Not every player is going to be flawless. That doesn't mean they don't add value to the roster. Despite walkers hands, he was the offenses biggest mismatch last year and defenses never knew what to do with him. And that's exactly why the titans signed him to a 4 year 18million dollar contract.

If harper becomes near the player delanie was, the 49ers will have done very well for themselves.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Sep 3, 2013 at 1:49 PM ]
Yeah we get it. In the zone if you are not a superstar you must be a scrub. Not every player is going to be flawless. That doesn't mean they don't add value to the roster. Despite walkers hands, he was the offenses biggest mismatch last year and defenses never knew what to do with him. And that's exactly why the titans signed him to a 4 year 18million dollar contract.

If harper becomes near the player delanie was, the 49ers will have done very well for themselves.

Watched the SuperBowl yesterday on NFLN, forgot how big of an impact Walker had. The block on Reed for the TD and then the ensuing kickoff he body slammed the return man. Plus Delanie Walker on this team is the 3rd TE behind McDonald. He is LaMichael James at TE and won't see the playing field unless someone is injured, but has intangibles at the position to be something special in sub packages.

Without spending the draft pick too
I think just the value is worth it. we just "drafted" a 4th round pick lol.

Will miss Cam.. but if harper helps us beat SEA, then its worth it
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

Seahawks did not offer Chris Harper spot on their 53-man roster. Instead, offered more than $6,000 weekly minimum for P-squad to retain him.
Funny because I wanted to keep Delanie Walker, but as our number 3 TE with Zach Ertz as our number 2 around draft time. Obviously this wouldn't have happened beucase DW could get better than number 3 money and we didn't draft Ertz. But we do seem to have a reliable target and a guy that we can develop to eventually by the 3rd TE, or even 4th. Maybe we go with four longterm.
Hand size (9.7) and arm length (32.7) are above average. Staying to form. But this is playbook fodder.
No experience blocking? Seems like we should have dropped Celek and kept Gray (& Cam). Not b/c Harper "may" not work out but b/c he's so far behind Gray.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

Seahawks did not offer Chris Harper spot on their 53-man roster. Instead, offered more than $6,000 weekly minimum for P-squad to retain him.

the minimum is like $5,600(unless it was raised to 6K in new CBA a few years back?)......so does that mean they offered him $11,000 a week, $6,000 a week or an unknown sum greater than $6,000??? I'd tell them to shove either way cause I'd take a minimum of $60K and a chance at sticking on a 53 roster over the practice squad and $100,000.....

Smart move by Harper.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
No experience blocking? Seems like we should have dropped Celek and kept Gray (& Cam). Not b/c Harper "may" not work out but b/c he's so far behind Gray.

It's the other way around. Harper has a tremendous amount of blocking experience, yes he needs to develop as an inline blocker but the Kansas offense was run heavy and Harper was called on to block frequently as a WR. The issue with Gray is that he struggled as a blocker, yes he had some receiving prowess but on this roster, that will only get you so far. Celek is far better blocker and that is what you want at the #3 TE spot, there is no way the 49ers were going to be able to run their same offense if McDonald or VD went down and they had to sub in Gray.

I'm also really amazed at the overrating of Gray, nice potential, raw, LONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG way to go. I had Gray winding up undrafted and Harper winding up getting picked in the 3rd round of the draft, this was equal through I imagine virtually every single draft prognostication out there. Harper has the goods, he's more polished and game ready than Gray was, but he'll be able to have time to develop further too.

In terms of a matchup threat, Harper gives you a guy with better quickness, better speed, better route-running, more experience as a receiver.....etc...etc.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Sep 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NCommand:

It's the other way around. Harper has a tremendous amount of blocking experience, yes he needs to develop as an inline blocker but the Kansas offense was run heavy and Harper was called on to block frequently as a WR. The issue with Gray is that he struggled as a blocker, yes he had some receiving prowess but on this roster, that will only get you so far. Celek is far better blocker and that is what you want at the #3 TE spot, there is no way the 49ers were going to be able to run their same offense if McDonald or VD went down and they had to sub in Gray.

I'm also really amazed at the overrating of Gray, nice potential, raw, LONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG way to go. I had Gray winding up undrafted and Harper winding up getting picked in the 3rd round of the draft, this was equal through I imagine virtually every single draft prognostication out there. Harper has the goods, he's more polished and game ready than Gray was, but he'll be able to have time to develop further too.

In terms of a matchup threat, Harper gives you a guy with better quickness, better speed, better route-running, more experience as a receiver.....etc...etc.

Thank you! This is where I defer to the experts. If you are willing to go on record as thinking he could be a big steal for us, above a raw-with-upside, Gray, I'll gladly sit back and watch. I imagine, Harper has 6 weeks to shine before the PUP-reserves come back and the roster gets REALLY tight.

Do you think we'll end up cutting Celek? I know it's going to be hard to activate Harper unless he plays some seriously good ST. Do you see him playing ST as well?

It sounds like he's a bright guy as well and hopefully that translates from the playbook, to the field.
Almost any time this staff converts someone to a new position it works out, and sometimes humungous.

Thinking the 9ers have a plan with this man.