There are 252 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign wr Chris Harper

Originally posted by ninerjok:
Harper is number 17 – fail

Number 17 minus the ice skates. I'll take it.
Of course there was no way to know they'd be able to sign Harper, but in retrospect I still would've liked to keep Gray around.
Originally posted by SoCal9er:
Of course there was no way to know they'd be able to sign Harper, but in retrospect I still would've liked to keep Gray around.

Yep I think this all stems from not being able to sign Gray to the practice squad,
Is it possible that Gray has picked up on waivers because his contract was much smaller than Chris Harper's? There were probably more teams trying to get Harper but they'd have to take his contract the way it was, not that it was big. Waiting for him to clear waivers and become a free agent a team could negotiate a contract.
AB83 would that be right?
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Is it possible that Gray has picked up on waivers because his contract was much smaller than Chris Harper's? There were probably more teams trying to get Harper but they'd have to take his contract the way it was, not that it was big. Waiting for him to clear waivers and become a free agent a team could negotiate a contract.
AB83 would that be right?

I believe you are correct. Once the player passes through waivers the team has to take whatever hit it would for releasing said player (not sure what kind of guarantees there are for rookie contracts). Basically, Seattle paid his guaranteed money but we got their player and get to negotiate a more favorable contract.
this move happened because f**k seattle
It's simple. They were planning on grooming Gray to be the new H-back Walker-style player, but he was picked up. Harper is almost identical to Walker in body size, speed, background and strength. So, as far as I'm concerned, they got a better potential replacement for Walker because Harper has Walker's speed but Gray didn't.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
It's simple. They were planning on grooming Gray to be the new H-back Walker-style player, but he was picked up. Harper is almost identical to Walker in body size, speed, background and strength. So, as far as I'm concerned, they got a better potential replacement for Walker because Harper has Walker's speed but Gray didn't.

This. Harper is a better fit when it comes to replacing Delanie's role than Gray was. Gray has promise and a lot of potential but Harper is far more polished.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GNielsen:

This. Harper is a better fit when it comes to replacing Delanie's role than Gray was. Gray has promise and a lot of potential but Harper is far more polished.

Eh, I liked what I saw from Gray in college and he moved fluidly for such a tall and long target. Harper is much faster than Gray and his feet are as well so I hope we get the better athlete of the 2 in this deal. Measurables are one thing but the eye test is another. I hope that we all see at some point in the future good things from Harper. I thought Gray had a real shot at the 53
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Eh, I liked what I saw from Gray in college and he moved fluidly for such a tall and long target. Harper is much faster than Gray and his feet are as well so I hope we get the better athlete of the 2 in this deal. Measurables are one thing but the eye test is another. I hope that we all see at some point in the future good things from Harper. I thought Gray had a real shot at the 53

I liked Gray, think he got a bit overhyped around here, he was certainly a nice big target but I think Harper, if he adds some more weight, could be the bigger mismatch. Too big and strong for defensive backs to handle, too fast/quick for linebackers to keep up with. I do think that in time, he could be quite similar to Delanie, but with better quickness and more dependable hands. 49ers have the size at TE in McDonald, they have the speed in VD, Harper will be a mismatch guy at H-back, blocking wise he's already solid although he has to develop as an inline blocker but I'm really happy with this addition, the guy has a lot of potential, he just needs some time to develop.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Harbaugh , Roman developed Fleener and Ertz in college, Vernon Davis and Delaine Walker have been solid under them. So if they think that Harper could be the next swiss army knife then I am ecstatic.

Mcdonald looks really good and it will be hard for another te to get playing time but against the Seahawks 3te sets might help against Seattle and Rams.
  • xcfan
  • Veteran
i thought harper would be a #2 or #3 receiver as a rookie. strange how he bombed in seattle; didn't foresee that happening. well, he was in my mock draft, i hope he works out here. if he learns to be a boss, catching while being molested, like boldin, we'll have something.
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Originally posted by NavyHawk:
Well well well. Look who's snapping up the scraps from Seattle's table. How appropriate.

LOL preseason excellence!
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Harper looks more like a Jon Baldwin clone to me.

Harper is more muscular, but JB is 3in taller.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
LOL preseason excellence!

Punks all of them.

Can handle people with energy and character who haven't won yet but don't mouth off and just pay respect and give it all they have.

Seattle and their fans are the opposite of anything good. Just loud mouthed punks. I have never wanted to destroy a team or fan base like this ever. Not even the Raiders. At least they had respect while they acted crazy.