There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers sign wr Chris Harper

What are we going to do with this guy? They are trying to create Delanie Walker 2.0. DW is gone. Get over it. Sometimes you get a new player that comes in and replaces him in a different way. You don't always have to have an exact clone of the last player.... McDonald is a big physical player who will do it in a different way. This guy won't even see the field much. I don't like this move.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Garcia:
I really like this signing, I like him even better at TE.

Depth for when we let Vernon Walk

But this guy is prob an average WR in the NFL, could be a pretty good TE.
if we were going to look/coach someone to be Vernon's replacement, Gray would've been the better choice. 6'4 250 with speed.

edit- although I'm sure the draft in a couple of years will provide some SUPER athletic Freak that Vernon was...but we are going to have to trade up like crazy.

...and if Gray hadn't been claimed by the Browns then Harper wouldn't be a 49er right now. That's part of the real story...49ers probably shouldn't have exposed him to waivers.
LOL this really shows you how worthless Pete Carroll is as a coach, they run a system similar to ours (not to detail, but it's also an option-WCO hybrid), yet they couldn't try this themselves, when their TEs are mediocre?

Seriously, these little details, this stuff is why we're gonna go to a dozen SBs under Harbaugh, while Pete might not even have a job in two years. Harbaugh knows what to do with players in his system on EVERY SIDE OF THE BALL, while Pete Carroll doesn't even know what to do with his own defense in a playoff game.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
...and if Gray hadn't been claimed by the Browns then Harper wouldn't be a 49er right now. That's part of the real story...49ers probably shouldn't have exposed him to waivers.

If the goal was to have another player like Delanie Walker, it might be a blessing in disguise. Harper is almost an exact copy of Walker and he's faster than Gray. He's not quite as fast as Walker, but very close. Harper is also more like Walker in that they both were WR in college.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by NavyHawk:
Well well well. Look who's snapping up the scraps from Seattle's table. How appropriate.

Yeah, like Chris Maragos, Mike Person, Jeff Ulbrich (to coach), Brett Swain, Kyle Nelson, Michael Robinson, Braylon Edwards, etc. We have taken Lockette, Morrah, Harper from you. You guys probably took a lot more of our former players. You can count Terrell Owens if you want to. Seriously, you got nothing better to do with you life than troll our boards?

Bwahahaha...PWNAGE!!

For that guy, it's an obvious troll post then he disappears for a few weeks. Any other board, he would've been banned long ago. WZ is very friendly with rival posters, unlike their forums.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What are we going to do with this guy? They are trying to create Delanie Walker 2.0. DW is gone. Get over it. Sometimes you get a new player that comes in and replaces him in a different way. You don't always have to have an exact clone of the last player.... McDonald is a big physical player who will do it in a different way. This guy won't even see the field much. I don't like this move.
He's almost a Delanie Walker clone - same size and similar weight, both played WR in college, Walker 40: 4.45, Harper 40: 4.49. Marguis Gray's 40 time was 4.67 and he wasn't as quick as Harper or Walker. They've got big - they needed quick.

I can totally see your point, but there's really nothing to lose here except a few $100,000, we didn't have to do s**t to get him. -This tells me Harbaugh isn't feeling too safe about his TE situation for the future (with the impending inevitability of Vernon Davis leaving within the next two years), more than he's comfortable with his WR situation in letting a guy like Hawkins go.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

I can totally see your point, but there's really nothing to lose here except a few $100,000, we didn't have to do s**t to get him. -This tells me Harbaugh isn't feeling too safe about his TE situation for the future (with the impending inevitability of Vernon Davis leaving within the next two years), more than he's comfortable with his WR situation in letting a guy like Hawkins go.

Vernon is not going to leave. He will stay a 49er and get an extension.
I don't see Vernon Davis leaving as inevitable. If the team goes all the way this year or next, I can totally imagine Davis giving up a little money to stay with the Niners. He's an emotional guy and he really likes the area.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I don't see Vernon Davis leaving as inevitable. If the team goes all the way this year or next, I can totally imagine Davis giving up a little money to stay with the Niners. He's an emotional guy and he really likes the area.

He loves Harbaugh and the 49ers. He will stay for a reasonable extension.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Well well well. Look who's snapping up the scraps from Seattle's table. How appropriate.

Yeah, like Chris Maragos, Mike Person, Jeff Ulbrich (to coach), Brett Swain, Kyle Nelson, Michael Robinson, Braylon Edwards, etc. We have taken Lockette, Morrah, Harper from you. You guys probably took a lot more of our former players. You can count Terrell Owens if you want to. Seriously, you got nothing better to do with you life than troll our boards?

Bwahahaha...PWNAGE!!

For that guy, it's an obvious troll post then he disappears for a few weeks. Any other board, he would've been banned long ago. WZ is very friendly with rival posters, unlike their forums.

NavyHawk isn't a troll, dude is an Okay guy if not for his liking for the Seattle
Originally posted by Garcia:
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

Bwahahaha...PWNAGE!!

NavyHawk isn't a troll, dude is an Okay guy if not for his liking for the Seattle

That's my point, he's okay when he wants to be. But his latest post was troll-like and added nothing of debatable value. Sarcastic remark, then disappears.
Maiocco says the Niners will use him like Walker and he is listed as a TE on his depth chart.
He loves Harbaugh and the 49ers. He will stay for a reasonable extension.

Right. And, it's a very tight end friendly system. He's almost always on the field. As far as Harper is concerned, I can totally understand why they might think they can make another Delanie Walker out of him - same body, same speed, same background, same strength, same quickness, and his hands couldn't be worse. I can imagine a three tight end set with Davis, McDonald and Harper - Davis sprinting down the seam, McDonald turning in and finding space at about 12 yards and Harper running to the corner like we saw Walker do so many times.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

That's ridiculous, there are physical stereotypes for positions. He has an H back body, they want an H back. They obviously feel he has the skill sets to play the position that they want. Same reason that there Aren't any 300lbs wide receivers.